1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Imhoff, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Sorry to break it to you :(

2. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

That why it call Mad Men. Doi.

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

inorite? its not like this is GoT or something.

4. jhilla

jhilla Well-Known Member

Eh, I'd probably disagree with you here, but that's because I'm very pessimistic when it comes to Don. I do agree that he has a barometer of right and wrong, but he really holds himself to his own standards. It's textbook sociopathy. None of the "selfless" things that Don does make him want to change for the better, long term. He almost broke out in the season where he started to swim and get healthy. I would actually argue that they exist as selfish reasons that Don uses to cope with how much he ruins people's lives. He had the chance to do something nice for Silvia and Dr. Rosen, but we all saw where that ended up.

I am a cynic.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

The season where Don was swimming. His life was out of control, he's a control freak, he could control his swimming. It was the base he used to build himself back into being control of his life.

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

i wish my boss was not sitting right next to me, so i could reply more at length to this, but i dont quite view don that way. i hope to get back to this tonight.

7. violethour1951

violethour1951 Well-Known Member

How in the world could Bob Benson have thought it would work on stick-up-his-ass, married-with-children Pete?

The Sally/Don&Sylvia scene was even more cringeworthy than the burglar scene a few episodes ago. Betty doesn't even need to poison Don's marriage now, she can outright destroy it as soon as she wrings it out of Sally.

8. in stitches

the bob benson scene was hilarious.

its not like don does not have leverage to ruin bettys marriage as well now.

9. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

The heart wants what it wants.

Considering the time and the fact that Campbell is a total prick, he was actually surprisingly cool about it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. in stitches

agreed

and BIG TIME agreed. i was expecting him to go through the roof. its not like he hasnt gone all out crazy yelling before. he just casually moved his knee away and rejected bob. that was probably the best thing he has done in the whole series.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

That and steal the joint and smoke it while looking at the ass of some passing by broad.

Oh, you meant most humanizing thing he's done, gotcha.

1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

13. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Wait, it's Betty not Don that would poison/destroy his marriage?

14. jhilla

jhilla Well-Known Member

Stitchy, I'm still interested to hear your rebuttle on my remarks, if only for friendly banter. I like arguing. Makes me happy, even if I'm wrong.

15. in stitches

damnit, i meant to get to this. will do today i hope. :)

16. in stitches

im no doctor, but i more associate sociopathy with someone who is pure evil, devoid of any feelings, emotions, compassion or care and concern for anything or anyone, even for themselves, because they lack that ability in entirety. just 100% cold and dead inside of feeling.

either way, even if sociopath exists on a broader scope than that, i dont view don quite as a sociopath. split personality maybe, but even that is a stretch. i think he really falls squarely in the category of classical damaged goods. he had a super shitty upbringing. no dad, literally saw his mom turn into a prostitute, experienced his first sexual encounter very young, and from a prostitute no less. no real feeling there, just sex. amongst all the other crap i forgot about.

no dad leaves him without any father figure which is generally hard to recover from and can account for all kinds of issues if left un-dealt with, and the last thing don has ever done, is actually deal with his issues. his mom, the quintessential source of love and compassion did not give him what he needed and he saw her using her sexuality as simply a means to make money, added to his sex with the working girl, leads to his need to find someone to "mother" him and be there for him no matter what, and looking for that in all the wrong places, and his lack of associating any real meaning to sex.

he had a shitty life and he knew it. he saw the opportunity in the war to essentially become someone else, thinking that would solve all his problems, so he took it. understandably imo. in his becoming a new person, he found the confidence to be an alpha. but i think its all a very well played act that he HAS to maintain or he will break. but under that, is the old person, still there, still damaged, still needy and still undeveloped emotionally and psychologically. he knows that is there, and occasionally i think we see him make attempt to address that, but he cant/finds it too hard and painful. so it just sits there rotting inside him.

i dont think he tries to ruin anyones life, and in general, i think you can see sadness and regret when he causes things like that to happen, but he buries it and soldiers on. i think he is constantly trying to fix himself and nourish the part of him that is so shattered, but he has no idea how, so he leaves a wake or wreckage behind him all the time and has no idea how to fix that. so he ignores it, its the only way he knows. the thing with sylvia after he helped the kid was just him being unable to resist the need to gain her love, as he is in constant search for that.

when he does something good, i think its the part of him that knows what its like to be a shit stain that no one cares about, and he feels compassion. and that is why we find him helping the unfortunate from time to time. particularly for peggy and joan, in the area of a sexual issue/being taken advantage of. he knows how shitty that is and cant stand it. i dont think he trying appease himself/cope for all his wrongs, i think he is just tapping into the dick whitman in him and doing what is right when he can.

dont get me wrong, i think its no excuse for him to do what he does. he has free will, and i think he does a lot of shitty stuff and treats a lot of people like shit, but not because he is evil, because he is super fucked up. in a major way. he is very highly functioning, human mess.

wow. did i really just devote that much time to dissecting a fictional TV character? i think i did.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  17. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the Californian in me, but I don't find Don's conduct to be particularly evil, or for that matter uncommon, at least nowadays. He's just ahead of his time. To me Pete seems more immoral, and Roger and Jim Cutler seem more amoral, than Don.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

There's actual clinical definitions for words like this. Well, actually, "sociopath" is technically "antisocial personality disorder" and here's a link telling you all about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

19. in stitches

yes, i am familiar with the fact that it has clinical definitions, im just not super well read in the matter. thanks!

20. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

People throw terms like "sociopath" and "aspergers" around way too casually. Don doesn't exhibit any noticeable sociopathic tendencies. He doesn't lack empathy and is able to maintain long term friendships. He doesn't break the law or treat people cruelly for no good reason. He's just a guy with some demons and an unhealthy attitude towards sex, probably fed by his fucked up adolescence.