• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think this was a pretty good epi. We have Betty completely pull a Don on Don. She totally did a "**** 'em and forget 'em" Don Draper style on him. However, prior to that, we had the scene with both Don and Betty singing along with the kid which was probably the most engaged and real family like scene those three have ever been involved in. Great juxtaposition between that little family scene and Betty totally freezing Don out the next morning at breakfast.

Roger...poor Roger; he really is a child. Daughter bans him from the grandkid and he gets completely cock-blocked by the mystery man with Joan. Speaking of the mystery man...him and Joan going to the beach? Huh. Cannot wait to see how this character leaves the show and I feel we are building up to his demise/departure in the season finale.

Peggy's outcome was predictable. That break up has been telegraphed all season and the boyfriend has now fully been radicalized along the lines of the Weather Underground. I about spit my drink when he said something about Peggy taking the cop's side. Yes, the cop taking the report on your stabbing had a "side" and it was in opposition to you, Mr. Stab-wound-victim.

Almost had a lesbian scene. I had a sad we did not.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this was a pretty good epi. We have Betty completely pull a Don on Don. She totally did a "**** 'em and forget 'em" Don Draper style on him. However, prior to that, we had the scene with both Don and Betty singing along with the kid which was probably the most engaged and real family like scene those three have ever been involved in. Great juxtaposition between that little family scene and Betty totally freezing Don out the next morning at breakfast.

Don is trying to tell himself that he just wants to bone Betty but he knows its not true. He's attracted to her (who wouldn't be?), but he's also drawn to the possibility that he could be part of his family again. As a guy who had an on-again/off-again thing with the mother of my child for several years, I know how strong that pull is. Children hold bad marriages together all the time, and that force holding them together doesn't just disappear because the marriage ends.

Does Draper really **** em and forget em, though? Seems to me he falls hard every single time, even if it doesn't last. I know we don't see every Draper conquest, but the ones we do almost always seem to consume him.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Don is trying to tell himself that he just wants to bone Betty but he knows its not true. He's attracted to her (who wouldn't be?), but he's also drawn to the possibility that he could be part of his family again. As a guy who had an on-again/off-again thing with the mother of my child for several years, I know how strong that pull is. Children hold bad marriages together all the time, and that force holding them together doesn't just disappear because the marriage ends.

Does Draper really **** em and forget em, though? Seems to me he falls hard every single time, even if it doesn't last. I know we don't see every Draper conquest, but the ones we do almost always seem to consume him.

I think he follows a cycle which always ends with "forget 'em." He's very smitten at the start, usually gets a little obsessed, and then it's time to freeze them out and forget them. He's done exactly that cycle with the doc's wife this year with the final part of the cycle happening in the elevator last epi.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So is Bob Benson simply Don Draper (notice the similarity in the names) when he was first starting out? No discernible prior life, same sort of look (fit, tan, hair), Bob seems to be starting a similar relationship with Joan as Don had with the real Don Draper's wife, and we know Don can lie well and we've seen a few examples of Bob lying.

Stugotes

Reaction score
So is Bob Benson simply Don Draper (notice the similarity in the names) when he was first starting out? No discernible prior life, same sort of look (fit, tan, hair), Bob seems to be starting a similar relationship with Joan as Don had with the real Don Draper's wife, and we know Don can lie well and we've seen a few examples of Bob lying.

Hm, I think you guys ascribe too much importance to the character.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This show is very deliberately written. There's no way they are spending this much time with Benson if he's not important.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have we ever seen Benson alone? He might not be that important if the cameras have never followed him home.

On the other hand, it may be immediately obvious why he is important the second you see him out of sight of the office.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It appears, for the first time ever, Piob and Rolling Stone are having the same thought.

Rolling Stone - Who Is Bob Benson?

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be a nice parallel to Draper if Benson assumed his phony identity to dodge the draft (nice contrast w/ Greg, too).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

It would be a nice parallel to Draper if Benson assumed his phony identity to dodge the draft (nice contrast w/ Greg, too).

This is an excellent thought.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not really, it would be rather pointless. Don's past and the way he presently carries himself are linked. What would that have to do with Bob Benson?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads