• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 6 (Begins April 7, 2013)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I always thought the guy falling off of the balcony was a metaphor: i.e. without all of the trappings of the job and the prestige and money they bring, Don would have nothing to stand on (no family, no history that he will acknowledge, no real beliefs or solid ethical foundation) and would fall into the abyss. The figure in the animation doesn't appear to jump, he's falling as the structure collapses beneath him.

Good read and I always figure that when a series wraps up the over arching metaphor might become concrete. Others have felt this and asked Weiner directly if the metaphor becomes actual. He replied as I said above, that Don survives to a ripe old age, and the last scenes might be elderly Don looking back.

I also think the opening metaphor shows the tension between Don's true interior and the cool facade he presents to the world. He has been letting things slip in conversations with Megan lately that support this with a good example being the comment to the effect of him being frightened and something else (and then she says "fearless" and gives him a **.)

violethour1951

Reaction score
My better-half is convinced that Don is going to jump off the Time Warner building in the final episode
facepalm.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any bets on when Weiner's son will show up this season for his obligatory episode? I say; the earlier, the better.

Last edited:

jhilla

Reaction score
Coffee guy is white knighting Joan. Will be swimming in humongous ginger boobs soon I think.

Don making doc's wife his whore -- I saw that not lasting. Talk about a power play on his part though.

Pete chair scene in the meeting was funny.

Her leaving and talking about Megan and the Doc as she did it was the true power play, lets be serious here.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oddest episode of Mad Men ever. Had some pretty memorable moments but overall the damn drug shots were a net negative IMO and the cat burglar was out there.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I caught the episode 15 minutes in and was beyond confused.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I felt like I both enjoyed and hated this episode. It had some GREAT moments and then it was just whack at times.

Ken Cosgrove provided what may be my most favorite scene in all of Mad Men.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Did we see Roger after his shot? Remember the "doctor" was asking everyone if they had a heart condition. Roger told him he did on the way in and the guy said it didn't matter. That's the last we saw of Roger. Do they find him dead next week?

IMO, the most important line in the epi last night was when Sally told Don she did not know anything about him. I also find it odd that never once has the Draper kids had a conversation with their parents that ended with, "I love you."

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't know if there was any more to don's cough but the way this has been meandering i am hoping for something to happen. lots of chekov's guns but nothing has become of any of them

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did we see Roger after his shot? Remember the "doctor" was asking everyone if they had a heart condition. Roger told him he did on the way in and the guy said it didn't matter. That's the last we saw of Roger. Do they find him dead next week?

IMO, the most important line in the epi last night was when Sally told Don she did not know anything about him. I also find it odd that never once has the Draper kids had a conversation with their parents that ended with, "I love you."

I like how he said , "I left the door open, it was my fault" right as she was hanging up. To a normal person, you would expect a father in this moment to keep his daughter on the line to tell her, " I love you." If you listen/watch that line again, you'll notice that when he says "I left the door..." the first couple words sound a lot like, " I love you."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads