• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Safari Jacket

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way. Glad we all seem to agree that we can leave the belts at home. But can I ask, are epaulettes still a thing?

Need to add that years before linen field jackets became more popular, linen guayaberas were a classic in Mexico. I remember seeing an incredible RTW Scottish linen guayabera from Finas Cab, which they said was fit for weddings there.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way. Glad we all seem to agree that we can leave the belts at home. But can I ask, are epaulettes still a thing?

Need to add that years before linen field jackets became more popular, linen guayaberas were a classic in Mexico. I remember seeing an incredible RTW Scottish linen guayabera from Finas Cab, which they said was fit for weddings there.
Epaulets not a showstopper for me but prefer without.

Knurt

Reaction score
Mine has epaulettes too, and I would have chosen to do without them. That said, I do not mind them.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2170865
Bought this new Stile Latino safari jacket for a very nice price on an eBay auction. Yes, the colour would not be my first choice either. And I asked myself if I even would wear it. But since I go to France every summer holiday, I figured I could just take it along and be forced to. A light breathable jacket is anyway just what is needed. And a summer colour indeed. Seems a fine piece of garment to my untrained eye.

Yes, not the most versatile colour, but it looks a nice garment in a fine cloth.

By the way, they also have one in the current collection.

Screenshot (1594).png

Knurt

Reaction score
Yes, not the most versatile colour, but it looks a nice garment in a fine cloth.

By the way, they also have one in the current collection.

View attachment 2171485
I like the colour as such, which is why I still have the jacket. Bidding on the jacket I thought the colour paler. The trouble with the colour is that it reeks attention seeking.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The yellow is an amazing summer color that would look incredible in any European southern coast, especially with pastel hued houses in the back. Obviously not your first linen jacket, but an incredible third, fourth or fifth.

Anyone have any input on getting a jacket like those featured here tailored? Presumably any tailor can execute, especially these pockets, since they are for military or workwear and should be easier than suit jacket pockets? Is there any structure or lining knowledge needed from the tailor?

Also, why would you have suit lapels on these kind of jackets, especially the safari style ones with four. Wouldn't it make more sense to have functional lapels that can be turned up in breeze to get a little more warmth around the next during transitional weather? Andy's jacket lapels look more practical while being equally suave, much like Harrington collars.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The yellow is an amazing summer color that would look incredible in any European southern coast, especially with pastel hued houses in the back. Obviously not your first linen jacket, but an incredible third, fourth or fifth.

Anyone have any input on getting a jacket like those featured here tailored? Presumably any tailor can execute, especially these pockets, since they are for military or workwear and should be easier than suit jacket pockets? Is there any structure or lining knowledge needed from the tailor?

Also, why would you have suit lapels on these kind of jackets, especially the safari style ones with four. Wouldn't it make more sense to have functional lapels that can be turned up in breeze to get a little more warmth around the next during transitional weather? Andy's jacket lapels look more practical while being equally suave, much like Harrington collars.

No direct experience, but I reckon that for a tailor it would be easier to cut a safari jacket than a classical one, as no lining and padding are involved. On the other side, and exactly for the same reason, the cut should be impeccable.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the

term "safari jacket" is increasingly useless for facilitating discussion if people post it with neckties

I would agree that it looks great in a more casual context, but wouldn't say that it looks misplaced with a necktie either, reminding its military origin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads