• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went back and re-read. There was an offer for store credit for your shipping cost and others offered to pay for your shipping too.

You should go back further then. I mailed it off yesterday. You're pointing out posts made today.

And yes, I don't believe I should take other forum members' money for shipping something they have nothing to do with. While I appreciate the offers, I haven't exactly been complaining today. Just reiterating the scenario and explaining things a lot of people here seem to be running off with their own ideas on.

Now, since you've gone back and re-read you'll also notice I haven't said anything about the store credit proposal. I think that's a nice gesture and above-and-beyond what Kiya needs to do here. But I'll accept it gratefully, though I still maintain it feels like Kiya is on the losing end here for something that's entirely not his fault. This isn't a retailer issue, imho. It's a manufacturer issue. And their minimal effort to correct it is not a very good look for FCL.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guy, belittling the generosity of other members of the community is not winning anyone to your side.

Zamb, UrbanComp, and DWW's offers are truly kind. Kiya's store credit offer is well-intentioned, but at this point it's in Self Edge's best interest to shut this conversation down and continued half measures aren't accomplishing that. I can't imagine the difference between a store credit and a direct shipping cost reimbursement of the same dollar amount is significant enough to let this discussion continue, even if the customer in question is arguably being melodramatic and unreasonable about it.

Would you feel better if I said I wouldn't buy a Tesla only to drop it off at Lexus should the radiator break on the way home from the dealer?

Don't try to twist this on me as if I'm ungrateful. Read my post above.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apropos of nothing: as someone on the spectrum, I tend to be extra carefully concerned things like fairness and justice, following rules and making sure burdens are borne properly by those who created them. Dunno why this just popped into my head. Really makes you think.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
styleforum.net is itself a business, with a host of attached businesses and various marginal grifters/hangers on

so a lot of what you see here is indeed gaslighting

Some of it deliberate/cynical (the Instagram influencers and bloggers with commercial relationships with each other and with the stores), and some of it just delusional fanboyism (sometimes from the same people)

the more interesting question is : are they also gaslighting you into thinking that the clothes look good in the first place?

a lot of that going on in the affiliate threads for sure (epaulet, Nomanwalksalone etc)

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have to go to CE . The smell of blood in the water has brought CE to you. Accusations of fanboyism in a discussion about a $2000 leather jacket. Duh.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
styleforum.net is itself a business, with a host of attached businesses and various marginal grifters/hangers on

Some of it deliberate/cynical (the Instagram influencers and bloggers with commercial relationships with each other and with the stores), and some of it just delusional fanboyism (sometimes from the same people)

the more interesting question is : are they also gaslighting you into thinking that the clothes look good in the first place?

a lot of that going on in the affiliate threads for sure (epaulet, Nomanwalksalone etc)
B65D0CC0-CB07-4949-A1CE-6B3F242A3CCB.jpeg

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If things get resolved here y'all can head over to the Japanese Boot thread . They got John Lofgren tied to the stake and should be lighting the fire anytime.
Unknown.jpeg

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m curious @Understatesman can I get a timeline?

when did the rip happen?
when and in what way did you attempt to contact FCL?
when did they respond?

Just for the record: I'm responding to this post. But I'm sure some will take it that I'm complaining and being melodramatic for continuing to talk about this. I can't help it if every other post is a question about the situation...

So, the timeline:

• Late Thursday night, after midnight: The rip occurred as I was lying in bed surfing the web. I readjusted my sitting position and felt the thread pop.

• Coincidentally @hoodog's picture of the FCL Roberts jacket was the last post in this thread so I took it as an opportunity to share my luck with the forum. Time of my post with picture: Friday 1:51 a.m.

• Friday 2:10 a.m. I posted a followup asking @kiya for his thoughts on what my options were.

• Friday 7:37 a.m. Kiya responds via post: "The store you bought it from should be able to get it repaired for you for free depending on how long ago you purchased it."

• Meanwhile the thread runs rampant with opinions on leather thickness, who's fault it is, seam allowances and Rick Owens.

• Friday 12:34 p.m. I respond on the forum to Kiya saying I bought it from him. I then email him directly.

• Friday 7:12 p.m. Kiya emails me: "Fine Creek warrants their jackets for one year, they just require for shipping to be paid to them in Japan. But we (Self Edge) will pay for shipping back to the states, and the repair is free, and if there's any cost they want to charge we'll pay it, not you. Do you want to send it to Japan for repair? I can give you the address and give the a heads up that there's a jacket on their way to them."

• Saturday and Sunday we kick the ball back and forth on the forum about getting it fixed locally (there's no one near me) and where I can send it.

• Monday 3:01 a.m. I fill out and buy postage on the FedEx website to ship the jacket off to Japan. This, after asking if I can just send the jacket to Self Edge and have them take it from there, but no I'm told I would need to send it to Japan myself. It's scheduled to be dropped off for shipment later that day, Monday.

• Monday comes around and I'm getting cold feet about sending my beloved jacket halfway around the world for a hole no one can see. I mean, losing a $2k jacket in the mail can happen....

• Monday afternoon: More forum posts about how people are surprised I have to pay shipping also gives me pause. I'm more and more open to the idea of sending it domestically for a fix. Kiya agrees to cover that. So I decide NOT to use the FedEx label after all and sleep on it.

• Rest of Monday: More comments in the thread about using alternative carriers, Dragonball Z and Kiya posting in the thread about their policy to cover any repair costs and shipping back to me. This seems to be the end of options for discussion.

• Tuesday 11:08 a.m.: This post by @ntempleman finally convinces me: "Looks a bit like the leather has torn like a postage stamp at the stitches, if so I’d be sending it back to the manufacturer as they can replace the entire panel with the exact same leather if that’s the case. Anything else will be a bit of a bodge, stitching together whatever is left of the leather and changing the construction. Then if that fix doesn’t work, you’re screwed for getting FCL to do anything for you - you don’t take your new BMW to Barry’s Chop Shop for its first service and expect them to still honour the warranty"

• Tuesday 2:59 p.m. I drop off the jacket with FedEx.

• Wednesday: The forum is alive and well with everyone still offering their thoughts on who to blame, who should step up and what should really be expected. You and a couple of others go out of your way to ease the burden by offering to cover shipping costs for me (jacket has been shipped already) and Kiya bends over backwards even more for me and offers store credit for the cost of outgoing shipping. I appreciate it, though I don't feel right about it.

• Apparently I'm not grateful enough and any response I post in the thread from this point on is just me being melodramatic. And I'm an ass for alluding to PepBoys, when Barry's Chop Shop was just recommended a few pages earlier.

• The End.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What commercial relationship do I have with Self Edge outside of being a full-price paying customer like anyone else?

Years ago, some forum member here got ripped off by a tailor. I spent time trying to sort that out for the forum member, only to be repaid by him being a dick to me constantly online.

When UrbanComp's car got broken into, I paid for part of the cost of the repair and did some fundraising between other members to pay for the rest. I have no financial relationship with UrbanComp, other than being his friend.

What relationship do I have with TOJ members? When the whole Drew Keith thing happened, I spent countless hours talking to lawyers (some of whom charged me money).

I'm not asking to be paid back here with lavish praise or anything. But for a prick like you to suggest that I'm being a shill is pretty ******* lame.

mozi

Reaction score
Would you feel better if I said I wouldn't buy a Tesla only to drop it off at Lexus should the radiator break on the way home from the dealer?

Don't try to twist this on me as if I'm ungrateful. Read my post above.

Agreed @Understatesman

I don't think @Understatesman has been ungrateful.

He had a legit complaint based on the top-tier product he bought, and he expressed in a concise and non-hysterical way.
He never said Self Edge should be cancelled, never got personal with anyone, didn't exaggerate anything, and never asked for anything other than the retailer to stand by their product and service.

But we have a handful of the usual suspects here implicitly accusing him of being unreasonable and wanting him to believe that Self Edge can do no wrong, when he has really been pretty rational and a very good sport about all of this. That's what I saw it as gaslighting.
He has a right to express his disappointment, and plenty agreed with him.

Yea, it's nice and all that @UrbanComposition and @dieworkwear offered to pay for the shipping to Japan.
But it's always a bit awkward to take charity from others.
And to my earlier point, no way those posters would have made the same offer if the business involved wasn't a long-time personal friend of theirs.

It's nice that SE offered store credit in the end, but only *after* these 10 pages, most of which written in response to them having refused to do so in the first place. If they had done so to begin with, this thread would be 10 pages shorter.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Understatesman thanks for sharing that. I know it took a lot of time to write that out, and it sucks that your jacket ripped. I'm fairly optimistic that the guys at FCL will come up with a good solution. Keep us posted.

@skeen7908 dude. I buy everything at SE at their retail, except when Fok and @kiya got together to get me a jacket, which is testament to the good-natured vibe that (usually) one finds here on the forum. I offered to pay it forward by covering the shipping costs, as did Derek. @Zamb offered to fix it himself.

@Understatesman decided to ship it on his own to FCL. If he doesn't want to take me and others up on our offer, that's cool.

Let's try to end 2020 better, k?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads