• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What amazes me is how persistently some of the posters here abuse the return policy, however. A lot of major retailers who strive to provide outstanding customer service have had to either do a 180 or constantly make incremental changes introducing new restrictions on returns due to customers just completely going overboard with returns.

Do people really abuse LEC return policy? I am surprised because LEC doesn't have an amazing return policy. IIRC when you return things by mail you are out $7. They also take a good week or two after receiving the returned items to refund your payment.
Nothing like Zappos free returns and super fast refunds.

brozek

Reaction score

Do people really abuse LEC return policy? I am surprised because LEC doesn't have an amazing return policy. IIRC when you return things by mail you are out $7. They also take a good week or two after receiving the returned items to refund your payment.
Nothing like Zappos free returns and super fast refunds.

No-questions-asked returns at any Sears store (although that may get harder if they start to close).

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No-questions-asked returns at any Sears store (although that may get harder if they start to close).

No questions asked, but still out $7. If there is some way around this, I am not aware of it. I don't see a way to abuse it unless you are wearing the **** for a month first.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No $7 charge if you return in store. I've never paid to return something. The only real abuse of the system would be to wear something all season and then return it when you no longer needed it (or when I returned used AE boots that I mis-sized... but I certainly wasn't keeping them when I had the option to return). Everything else seems like it falls within the intent of their stated policy. It just so happens most of their items fit awful so they almost all go back.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has the return policy changed again?
Can you now return LEC items to a Sears store that doesn't sell Lands End?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't believe you can. The Sears near me is locally owned and basically not a real Sears. I just wait until I need to go where another Sears is to return my stuff. No rush since returns are totally open ended.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding fit.
LEC does have sizing problems. Especially when it comes to consistency. The sizing of the tees has noticeable changed at least three times. They are now at least 1.5" shorter and a good 1" slimmer in the chest than the first batch. What really ticks me off is that the older shirts are still being sold in the same category as the new ones. They need to sell off old product before adding new.

I do think SW&D isn't quite realistic when it comes to the sizing of non jean pants.
LEC is trying to make a pair of slim/skinny fit pants that won't rip or fall apart. If you have stupidly narrow leg openings(<6.75") on cotton pants you need a relatively high rise or the pants will have a really short lifespan. They will eventually just rip. You need some give.

I haven't bought a LEC jacket, but looking at the measurements they match up well with J Crew, LL Bean Sig, BR,... They are slimmer than ANYTHING sold 5 years ago, but not super slim.
Again, with coats you really need some give.
I am sure the LEC models receive altered items, but they are always wearing at least 2 or 3 layers under their coats. When I look at some of the fit pics people post here, they look to be just wearing a shirt. Your winter coat won't give you a flattering fit if you are wearing nothing underneath.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
An LEC customer service win:

I bought a striped chambray shirts in small a few weeks back on sale for $20. It's a good shirt, but it was rather tight than the other smalls I've bought from LEC.

So I go to one of the few Sears that carries LEC. They carry the same shirt. A small off the rack fit much better. But the clerk said she couldn't do an even up exchange because the shirt was on sale through the website but was full retail in the store - $50. The only option was exchanging it through the mail.

I wrote an e-mail to LEC telling them about the inconvenience. They got back to me two days later, saying I didn't need to return the shirt to them. They gave me a $50 gift card and told me to pick up the one that fit at Sears.

GQ1

Reaction score

An LEC customer service win:
I bought a striped chambray shirts in small a few weeks back on sale for $20. It's a good shirt, but it was rather tight than the other smalls I've bought from LEC.
So I go to one of the few Sears that carries LEC. They carry the same shirt. A small off the rack fit much better. But the clerk said she couldn't do an even up exchange because the shirt was on sale through the website but was full retail in the store - $50. The only option was exchanging it through the mail.
I wrote an e-mail to LEC telling them about the inconvenience. They got back to me two days later, saying I didn't need to return the shirt to them. They gave me a $50 gift card and told me to pick up the one that fit at Sears.

That's customer service for you!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got my pants order from the sale and the sizing seemed to be all over the board.

I ordered 3 heritage slim fits....for some reason I ordered the plum ones in 33x34 and the khaki in 34x34 (I had been planning on ordering several sizes and returning but I decided to just go for 33 and must have forgot to change one). Despite the reviews saying they aren't that slim....these are pretty damn slim. Sure they aren't as slim as some stuff out there...but this is ******* lands end and these are slim (and really...I can't legitimately go any slimmer).

They are both super long--I have dress pants from regular lands end (where they let you pick your hem) that are at 33.25 or 33.5 or so and these things are easily 2 inches longer. The waists don't seem to be different though...the 33 is a bit too small but it fits *better* than the 34 which has weird proportions (although it seems to look ok so I am going to hope that the cotton stretches into shape a bit with some wear).

The third pair are the brown cords...they seem to fit great. My guess is that their QC is probably as bad as levis...with levis, I have found that 2 pairs of the exact same cut/size can have a pretty big variation--so just plan to try on multiple pairs and pick the one that fits the best.

Its a shame that the cords came in pretty limited colors (or that that was what was left in the sale).

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know their return policy was so easy. I had 10 shirts and a pair of shorts I was about to donate because I never wore them. Just took them to sears today and got refunds. :D

OneBeLo

Reaction score
What does everyone think of the refined slim fit herringbone trousers? They are 100% wool unlike the donegal verisons offered by both LE and LEC, but the appeal of a better fit (the LE tailored fit was too loose in the thigh and leg) and price ($65) make it tempting to get -- especially considering I am returning the moc-toe crosby boots.

Last edited:

Trungtastic

Reaction score

What does everyone think of the refined slim fit herringbone trousers? They are 100% wool unlike the donegal verisons offered by both LE and LEC, but the appeal of a better fit (the LE tailored fit was too loose in the thigh and leg) and price ($65) make it tempting to get -- especially considering I am returning the moc-toe crosby boots.
I just got those in the other day. Really like them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads