• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

rickgrimes10

Reaction score

LEC is such a poorly run company. Right now you can pick up a white polo, a pair of navy canvas sneakers, a braided canvas belt, brown boat shoes, swim shorts, a pair of khaki chino shorts, khaki chinos, a denim jacket, a madras shirt, 2 silk ties, 2 pocket squares, and a khaki blazer for less than $250 total. All staple summer items in almost all sizes. They have a total retail value of more than $1000. Why not price things properly in the first place instead of having to have deep deep sales?

Seems what I've learned about accounting the approach makes sense...it's all about incremental retuns.

The current initial prices are high/overpriced to those of us that have been lured in to buy Canvas items when they first started out with deep discounts and continuous sales before the uptick in pricing. The cotton shortage plays a little bit into the price hikes as does supply versus demand for Canvas items. But also some customers are gonna be ready, willing, and able to afford to buy at the full initial price, which is why the pricing is the way it is. Canvas is going to get some customers at that price even though it is hard to believe. Some people just want the product ASAP and wear them in that particular season. Canvas is going to catch some customers on a percentage sale, and then a lot during the end of a season during clearance. The high price provides room to maneuver the profit margin, which Stylego touched on. If the prices start out real low, the profit margin is going to be minimal.

Anyone knows if the Heritage Solid White Poplin shirts use the same lightweight, sueded cotton from before mid-2010? I haven't gotten around to inspecting the 9+ I racked up during the ornament deal yet.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dipped into the LE Canvas pool and received a couple of items in the mail today. Tried really hard to like the Salt and Pepper shirt and the Weathered Fleece popover, but I'm afraid my burly frame (46R, 38" waist) does not comport with Canvas sizing. :embar:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Dipped into the LE Canvas pool and received a couple of items in the mail today. Tried really hard to like the Salt and Pepper shirt and the Weathered Fleece popover, but I'm afraid my burly frame (46R, 38" waist) does not comport with Canvas sizing. :embar:

You couldn't get into the XL in the S&P shirt? Was it the waist or the chest?

OneBeLo

Reaction score
I know there was a lot of talk about the canvas jacket, but I had to return mine (I got a large). I thought it was constructed well, but I thought it was too heavy. The problem is, Anchorage Alaska has the shortest damn fall and this jacket was more of a light winter jacket. I could easily wear a sweater underneath the jacket and be set, really. If it was lighter, I think I might have kept it. It did billow out a little bit at the waist like other members have mentioned, but again, if I had medium to heavy sweater underneath, no big deal at all.

I returned it and instead picked up the merino toggle sweater (the hooded version) and is really nice. It is just perfect weight for spring, summer nights and early fall; it is exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:

Stylego

Reaction score

The current initial prices are high/overpriced to those of us that have been lured in to buy Canvas items when they first started out with deep discounts and continuous sales before the uptick in pricing. The cotton shortage plays a little bit into the price hikes as does supply versus demand for Canvas items. But also some customers are gonna be ready, willing, and able to afford to buy at the full initial price, which is why the pricing is the way it is. Canvas is going to get some customers at that price even though it is hard to believe. Some people just want the product ASAP and wear them in that particular season. Canvas is going to catch some customers on a percentage sale, and then a lot during the end of a season during clearance. The high price provides room to maneuver the profit margin, which Stylego touched on. If the prices start out real low, the profit margin is going to be minimal.
Anyone knows if the Heritage Solid White Poplin shirts use the same lightweight, sueded cotton from before mid-2010? I haven't gotten around to inspecting the 9+ I racked up during the ornament deal yet.

Yep, exactly what I was getting at...those few up front pay a lot of the bills.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You couldn't get into the XL in the S&P shirt? Was it the waist or the chest?

XL did fit, but would probably be a little tight after washing. Also, some of the details were a little too fussy for my tastes (epaulets, buttons on upper arm, etc.). I may try them again after I drop a little more weight (down 13 pounds in 6 weeks, hope to be down 40 pounds by the time I turn forty next August).

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
Not really. The cut is slightly fitted, which is fine by me.

I just have to question who's in charge of the designs of jackets, blazers, pants, shoes, and just about everything else, however. They seem like kid's school projects gone horribly awry, cheaply made, with terrible fit, odd combinations of design elements (high rise pants with skinny legs) and terrible comfort (shoes, pants).

The scarves are particularly embarrassing: they make no attempt to hide the fact that they are simply made with the leftover scraps from their plaid shirts.

LEC prices are super, super low, but I feel fine switching to jcrew after ordering one terribly designed product after another. LEC clothing is meant to look great in a catalog, on models who are receiving custom fitted versions of the clothes, but IRL, the items look sad: see the waxed jacket for instance.

yes....from poor to laughably bad.

TheDroog

Reaction score

Sears and Kmart to close 100-120 stores after poor holiday sales. I called it a day before it happened (Kind of):slayer:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/27/sears-kmart-stores-to-close

Lands End is a good clothing company owned by a really, really bad corporate conglomerate (Sears Holding Company). Unless SHC fixes its Kmart and Sears stores, the whole company is going to go under. Has anyone been to a Sears or Kmart recently? It's freaking awful. Bad lighting. Bad products. Bad service. LE is probably the only part of SHC that is doing things right, and it'll be a shame if it disappears because of what's going on in other parts of the company. Best case scenario is for LE to go private again, get spun off, or get sold to an investment group (a la J. Crew) that actually knows what the hell it is doing. I like LE and want it to survive.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
LE/C will be just fine.

Bankruptcy proceedings doesn't necessarily mean that every store will shutter it's doors. In fact, that's rarely the case.

What amazes me is how persistently some of the posters here abuse the return policy, however. A lot of major retailers who strive to provide outstanding customer service have had to either do a 180 or constantly make incremental changes introducing new restrictions on returns due to customers just completely going overboard with returns.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Margret0011