• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

niklasnordin

Reaction score
So I cleaned 3 of my shoes yesterday so they could dry for a day and thinking I would spend sunday doing some
shoeshining...

Washed them in the sink with a nail brush and leather soap.

Here's how they looked this morning all dried up.

After applying some saphir renovateur and letting them rest for 30 mins, then brushing them
and applying some cream and letting them rest for 10 mins and brushing them again they looked like this.

The colors I used was Havana, cognac and medium brown.

Then on to the wax and since the light was beginning to escape me I focused on the GG Arran only
so I could get a photo off before it was too dark.
The wax I used was dark brown and black

Now, my back hurts and I need to lie down :)

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I cleaned 3 of my shoes yesterday so they could dry for a day and thinking I would spend sunday doing some shoeshining... Washed them in the sink with a nail brush and leather soap. Here's how they looked this morning all dried up. After applying some saphir renovateur and letting them rest for 30 mins, then brushing them and applying some cream and letting them rest for 10 mins and brushing them again they looked like this. The colors I used was Havana, cognac and medium brown. Then on to the wax and since the light was beginning to escape me I focused on the GG Arran only so I could get a photo off before it was too dark. The wax I used was dark brown and black Now, my back hurts and I need to lie down :)
Nice work, @niklasnordin - three was definitely ambitious for one day!

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, was there any specific reason why you decided to take them down to the leather and then cream and wax? I only ask because I haven't done that, I just wet, brush, Reno, brush, cream, brush, and then wax and buff if the shoe design takes it. Is it to strip off all the layers that accumulate on the show over the course of doing what I just said in the last sentence many, many times or am I just completely off base

Last edited:

niklasnordin

Reaction score
I'm curious, was there any specific reason why you decided to take them down to the leather and then cream and wax? I only ask because I haven't done that, I just wet, brush, Reno, brush, cream, brush, and then wax and buff if the shoe design takes it. Is it to strip off all the layers that accumulate on the show over the course of doing what I just said in the last sentence many, many times or am I just completely off base
Yes, partly to remove the old cream, but mostly to remove any salt that has been absorbed.
They are using an amazing amount of salt where I work so everytime you go outside you essentially walk in some kind of salty slush.

Having old cream clogging the pores as well as the shoes being exposed to salty water is a bad combo imo.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Finally was able to prototype the dressing valets. I'm really happy with the results. Only thing that I need to work on is what it will take to have them made at an appropriate price. The Eco Valet - the smaller one of the two - is pricing out at $1695. I'd love to get it down, but right now we are having these made here in Dallas in batches of 10. The hardware, wood, and labor is quite expensive.

The valet has several features:
1. Two rear pegs allows you to hang a suit jacket and shirt. A core feature is that this valet allows you to use your existing hangers, which, as theory would have it, are beautiful, perfectly-sized.

2. Stainless steel trouser rod can accommodate a pair of trousers, ties, and belt.

3. Shoes can be placed on the base of the stand.

4. Top wooden sundry tray can be used for various objects. The leather insert is not fixed. You could take this out and replace with anything else of your choosing.

The dressing valets are made by one of the top custom furniture makers here in Dallas and are of exceptional quality.

Let me know your thoughts. If you guys are interested, I'd be open to doing a "kick starter" whereby those who pre commit receive a substantial discount and have the opportunity to select their finish.

@Krish the Fish

Last edited:

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The second, more full-featured valet came in way above my cost estimate. The valet is incredible - a true piece of furniture. But something that I think I can only offer on a made-to-order basis.

This one comes in at $4,950 estimated retail.

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Eco valet is perfect for my uses. I had been trying to find a place to hang my tuxedo the other weekend to give it a quick brushing before I wore it, and something like the first choice would be ideal for me. I can totally see the perfect corner for it in my second bedroom, between my TV and my humidors across from my desk. Plus with any moving in the future (residency, new home, etc.), I think that it would be the most versatile and fit just about all the styles of homes my girlfriend and I both like.

Last edited:

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The new hanger and trouser hanger combo is a great idea!

Thanks, @MSchapiro! That hanger has been in the works for two years. We had to first redesign our clamping trouser mechanism, which is finally back in-stock, and then prototype this hanger. Totally unprescendented. Fantastic, high-specification all-wire clamping mechanism coupled with the best suit hanger in the world :nodding: available in four sizes and three finishes. Huge capital outlay.

shoewizz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had advice on cleaning the insides of a shoe? I recently picked up a second hand pair of Raf Simons sneakers that are leather lined. They are high tops, so there is quite a bit of dirt/dye stains that have built up along the inside and I rather get that washed out before wearing them out and having someone elses dirt all on my feet and socks!

I assume the actual cleaning process should be the same. Im just going to use Saphir Leather Cleaning Soap for now, and see if maybe the leather could use some Renovateur later. But I am concerned about the shoe drying out correctly and not leaving any dampness inside that could lead to mold or anything else unpleasant.

I searched this thread and did not see anything about specifically cleaning the leather lining of a shoe. Anyone have any experience with this?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a Neanderthal and all what is the purpose of the valet thing in ones home? Seems like something I might want in a hotel room. I mean in your own home don't you just shower then put on your clothes right from the closet?

I am asking as I think both pieces are beautiful and I don't wear suits so am a bit confused by it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads