• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The button point on the grey is actually lower than the navy; the difference in appearance in the pictures is camera angle as the grey was taken at waist level while the navy was taken by my 9 year old.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Claghorn that would be much appreciated. If time allows, a more extensive compare/contrast with Bn and the other MTM you have experience with would be great.

@New Shoes1 both look really good. I'd be curious to know how much the soft shoulder differs from no shoulder padding whatsoever.

Johnsson

Reaction score
I've gone with the standard canvass in all of mine, so I'd love to hear some comparisons with the soft. I can't find any shortcomings with the standard, so I was kind of curious about the benefits/trade offs when the option was added.

If I had one complaint with any of my purchases, it would be that both the trial and first iteration MTM trousers were not a great fit off the bat. Discounting my bow-leggedness, I'm not a difficult fit. I found the OTR lacking in rise a little bit, and the seat slightly tight (which is rare for me). In attempting to address these issues, things swung a bit too far the other way, and it took a relatively inexpensive trip to an alterations tailor to get the seat right. It may be obvious advice, but it's always better to err on the larger side.

@ericgereghty There are pictures of Kent wearing both types on Tumblr. I have 3 jackets with the soft shoulder (and a fourth on the way), so I can attest to them being pretty light. Unless you are really thick/square up top or or going for something on the more casual side, I'd recommend them.

@New Shoes1 I've gone with wide 3r2 lapels on some of my jackets and think you'll be pretty happy with how they turn out. The only downside is that the new lower gorge option is not available with them, though the higher gorge suits this mode pretty well IMHO.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the crocodile wallet? How is it? I do really like the appearance of it but wish it was available in more colors. Brooks Brothers has colors such as bright red and bright royal blue. However on the inside they aren't crocodile like KW.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Deerskin gloves black touchscreen $95

The palm side (including thumb) is calf leather treated with nanotechnology to be responsive to touchscreen devices, such as phones and tablets. This unique touchscreen leather is only available in black.
The back side is deerskin, the best leather for gloves. It does not develop wrinkles like soft leathers such as lamb and capeskin, while still having a smooth texture appropriate for wearing with a suit.

I'd be curious to know how much the soft shoulder differs from no shoulder padding whatsoever.
It's a pretty big difference. If standard shoulder padding is 100% and no shoulder padding is 0%, then soft is around 60%. I do no shoulder padding in almost all of my own suits, but they're mostly casual suits in linen and tweed. For an office suit, you do need at least the soft padding.

You can see examples on our Tumblr.

I've gone with the standard canvass in all of mine, so I'd love to hear some comparisons with the soft. I can't find any shortcomings with the standard, so I was kind of curious about the benefits/trade offs when the option was added.
Soft canvas is best with thicker fabrics like tweed and anything winterweight (340+ g), or stiff fabrics like linen and cotton. I personally prefer unstructured for those, but for those that don't want to go all the way to unstructured, soft canvas can be a good option. For four season wools, I think soft canvas does not provide enough structure and the front doesn't lay as smoothly as I would like.

I've got two KW suits and need to order my third. Both are soft shoulder. Navy is standard lapel; grey is wide lapel. Probably going to try the 3 roll 2 option with the wide lapel on the next go around. Here's pictures:

These photos look great. You should send them in for $20 store credit.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
LL

Rust linen tie
Jacobean Laton square

SamF

Reaction score
Most of mine are either B&Tailor or my old mtm tailor in Seoul (3 SuSu, 3 Yount, and then a few random makers). I have a KW suit and a KW jacket. And some pants, ties, and maybe a dozen squares from him.

I'll write something on it sometime this week if y'all would like.
Yeah I'd like to know what you think too.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did Kent do away with tracking info on shipments? I don't seem to be able to locate it.

On a side note, I'd highly advocate Kent implementing a Milanese buttonhole option (a la someone like Knot Standard) for his MTM, at a slight surcharge if necessary...those darn things are sexy.

ptr1988

Reaction score
I have low in-step and low arch. Are Kent Wang Benchgrade captoe balmoral shoes high in-step or low-instep. Or does it not matter and the shoes is a good for those who have high in-step or low in-step. Thanks

Last edited:

doodledoc

Reaction score
Did Kent do away with tracking info on shipments? I don't seem to be able to locate it.

On a side note, I'd highly advocate Kent implementing a Milanese buttonhole option (a la someone like Knot Standard) for his MTM, at a slight surcharge if necessary...those darn things are sexy.
I still get tracking info via stamps.com

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suit photos or input on a good fabric to choose for a navy three-piece suit? I was thinking of going for a navy herringbone (Loro Piana Fabric #040) to keep it solid but make it more distinctive and going with options similar to Victor's old photo below. Have to redo my suit wardrobe from scratch as I gained weight and just looking for something befitting of a first MTO suit.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

chrisfield

Reaction score
3 piece could get quite hot unless its very cold outside best to stick to a 9oz cloth with a softer canvas construction and make sure the tailor cuts the coat to allow for the waistcoat underneath as there can be an obsession these days of really tight tailoring which can make you look like you've just been on a I month all inclusive cruise. Give the tailoring room is actually slimming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads