• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Havent seen that yet either but would like to.  

And its actually in the Union Square subway station??  I am heading that way now and will look for it.

It's actually in the Union Square station near the 4/5/6 train. It is tiny. It is closest to the Food Emporium entrance on 14th street.

Anyone find an insole that works well with the benchgrade last? I'm looking to improve the fit of my captoes. I know I can trim insoles, but in case anyone's tried something that worked well already... I'm leaning towards the Tacco sole at the moment.
I find that the Tacco leather insoles don't really make much of a difference in size. You are better off with these if you want to take up some volume.

dlm4114

Reaction score

interested in following up my first suit purchase with my first tux purchase. Are there additional options to the standard suit options? Are there two standard tux fabrics (i.e. black/midnight)? Any upcharges?

"tuxedo" is an option listed in the "about suits" section alongside half-lined and unstructured for $45. on the options form, you can select satin facings on a one-button shawl or one-button peak lapel for $25, and a satin stripe on the trousers is $25. fwiw i also always like to add in suspender buttons (no upcharge), especially for a tux, just in case you ever wanna change it up

so, maybe the $45 tux option is a combo of those two for $5 less than it would be otherwise?

midnight blue and black have their own categories in the main suit section, so i would imagine most of those would qualify as standard/conservative tux choices

options link:

http://www.kentwang.com/suit-options.php

if you go here, there are tons of other fabrics of various prices and boss-ness you can choose from, scroll down to the bottom

http://www.kentwang.com/about/suits

Last edited:

rc121

Reaction score
thanks for the response, but I guess i was just trying to clarify the cost of the upcharge (like you said, whether it's $45 or $50 or perhaps its both) as well confirm the type of fabrics suitable for a tux. I'm leaning towards midnight, but the standard midnight fabrics on the site (not from the additional swatch books in the about suits section since they don't actually list what color they are) are listed as either twill or herringbone and I'm not sure whether these are appropriate. So my question would be for anyone that has ordered a tux, which fabric option did you choose? Or if Kent pops in, what midnight fabric would you suggest?

Thanks for the opinion on the suspender buttons, I was thinking about adding them. Would it be appropriate to have suspender buttons and side adjusters?

Also, I'm leaning towards peak lapel rather than shawl, whats the thought on the lapel width? I like the standard width on my KW suit, but I'm wondering about the wide option for the tux, as I've seen quite a few tux pictures that seem to have wider lapels than what might be considered standard.

Thanks

Last edited:

topos

Reaction score
Would it be appropriate to have suspender buttons and side adjusters?

Also, I'm leaning towards peak lapel rather than shawl, whats the thought on the lapel width? I like the standard width on my KW suit, but I'm wondering about the wide option for the tux, as I've seen quite a few tux pictures that seem to have wider lapels than what might be considered standard.

Thanks

Yes to the first question.

I am not certain how they measure the width of their peak lapel, but there is a chance that the standard width may look wider than the standard width of the notch lapel, basically because the peaks themselves will visually extent the width. One way I know to measure the width is along the seam where the collar meets the lapel (in fact, my KW standard width notch lapel is exactly 3.5" measured this way). If the measurement is the same for a peak lapel, then though the width may be the same along that seam, it will appear (and in fact in some sense be) wider because the lapel extends higher up than on a notch lapel. I hope that makes sense.

LeMaitreChat

Reaction score
thanks for the response, but I guess i was just trying to clarify the cost of the upcharge (like you said, whether it's $45 or $50 or perhaps its both) as well confirm the type of fabrics suitable for a tux. I'm leaning towards midnight, but the standard midnight fabrics on the site (not from the additional swatch books in the about suits section since they don't actually list what color they are) are listed as either twill or herringbone and I'm not sure whether these are appropriate. So my question would be for anyone that has ordered a tux, which fabric option did you choose? Or if Kent pops in, what midnight fabric would you suggest?

Thanks for the opinion on the suspender buttons, I was thinking about adding them. Would it be appropriate to have suspender buttons and side adjusters?

Thanks
+1 on the fabric question - I'm also interested to hear what others have chosen in the past.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always suggest 7004 for midnight blue, 7002 for black. Both are twills from the Basic collection and are $795 plus $45 for satin trimmings. There's no reason to choose any other fabrics. Herringbone has too much texture and is not appropriate for black tie.

With a tuxedo, you don't want to mess around with unusual options. Just get the standard width lapels.

Suspender buttons are fine with side adjusters.

"tuxedo" is an option listed in the "about suits" section alongside half-lined and unstructured for $45. on the options form, you can select satin facings on a one-button shawl or one-button peak lapel for $25, and a satin stripe on the trousers is $25. fwiw i also always like to add in suspender buttons (no upcharge), especially for a tux, just in case you ever wanna change it up

so, maybe the $45 tux option is a combo of those two for $5 less than it would be otherwise?
The form states that the satin stripe on the trousers is $20, so $45 total for a suit.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would it be ill-advised to order a second pair of trousers for a suit I already have? I'm talking in terms of the fabric possibly being slightly different color or something. Or should it be fine?

I have heard of many doing this when getting custom. If you often take off your jacket at work, I could see some longevity benefit from rotating the pants. Just make sure you wash them together at the same time.

dcinitial

Reaction score
Hey Guys - Just wanted to get your opinions on the fit of the suit. I went to the NYC trunk show a few weeks back and had them measure me and this was the result. While I think the fit is good I feel like something is off with the shoulders. Like they are asymmetrical. Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Nine Miler

Reaction score
Your left shoulder is a little low in the last pic, maybe just how you are standing. It looks good to me, though.

dcinitial

Reaction score
Your left shoulder is a little low in the last pic, maybe just how you are standing. It looks good to me, though.

Thanks all.

For those curious, the fabric is TR7087 dark blue. It is more noticeably blue in natural light.

If the shoulder is a little low I dont think its an easy fix for a tailor. I think my left shoulder is also quarter inch longer than my right shouder. Am I just being OCD??

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the shoulder is a little low I dont think its an easy fix for a tailor. I think my left shoulder is also quarter inch longer than my right shouder. Am I just being OCD??

In my totally amateur opinion, you would have to go full bespoke to account for slight width differences of each shoulder blade. Good question for the tailor thread though. I'd be curious to know if any MTM programs can account for the different height or different width shoulder.

I personally think what you have looks good. It's easy to be pickier because you know that there were items changed specifically at your bidding.

dcinitial

Reaction score
In my totally amateur opinion, you would have to go full bespoke to account for slight width differences of each shoulder blade. Good question for the tailor thread though. I'd be curious to know if any MTM programs can account for the different height or different width shoulder.

I personally think what you have looks good. It's easy to be pickier because you know that there were items changed specifically at your bidding.

Appreciate all your input guys. I do agree it fits very well and am prob being OCD as this is the suit I'll be wearing to my wedding.

To be clear, I meant that the actual suit's shoulder widths are different/lower, though according to Kent's notes they should be the same, +1.5 cm. My physical shoulders should be the same length.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonair