• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Received $21 refund and new shirt as exchange on its way

Hoping it fits this time... (I think it maybe TOO slim now) :foo:

vida

Reaction score
A question for all of the Kamakura fit experts:

I bought a size 15-331/3 in Tokyo slim and the fit is excellent except for the chest which is a touch too tight. Based on the size chart, there seems no other option that will allow for room in the chest. I thought there may be something in New York slim, but the smallest size is a 151/2 -35 1/2. That would be too big in the neck and too long in the arms. I'm 5'9 145.
Any suggestions??

Sundance

Reaction score
I received my first Kamakura shirt yesterday - very fast shipping from Japan to Texas. It looks great! Good cloth, good fit, good construction.

But the button placement on the cuffs looks pretty wonky. They're riding the edge of the cuff like I haven't seen on any other shirt. One of them is even stitched right through the cuff's seam (that pic's a little blurry). Is this a common issue with Kamakura?

Jfied23

Reaction score
I really want to love these shirts, but I'm really stuck in a tough spot between sizes. I normally wear 16.5 with 35 inch sleeves. I ordered both the Tokyo Slim and New York Slim Fit in 16.5. The Tokyo slim fit sleeves are 34, which feels a bit too short for me. The New York Slim fit has 36.5 inch sleeves, which are definitely too long.

Any advice from people who know this brand well? What should I do? Would it be a total mess to have a tailor shorten the sleeves on the NY Slim?

garymyman

Reaction score

Would it be a total mess to have a tailor shorten the sleeves on the NY Slim?

Not at all! I had mine shorten a NY Classic fit to make it a 16.5/33" - some 3" shorter than normal - and it turned out fine. Any competent tailor can reel in sleeve length.

Jfied23

Reaction score
Thanks Gary...do you mind if I ask what you paid to shorten the sleeve? How do they do it?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do they do it?

A good tailor will shorten the sleeve from the cuff, by detaching the cuff and the gauntlet, shortening the sleeve, cutting a new **** for the gauntlet and then sewing the cuff and gauntlet back in.

You can also shorten a sleeve from the shoulder, but as I understand it, there can be concerns with fitting the sleeve back into the sleevehead so, in an ideal world, shortening from the cuff is the best option.

Turner

Reaction score
I really want to love these shirts, but I'm really stuck in a tough spot between sizes. I normally wear 16.5 with 35 inch sleeves. I ordered both the Tokyo Slim and New York Slim Fit in 16.5. The Tokyo slim fit sleeves are 34, which feels a bit too short for me. The New York Slim fit has 36.5 inch sleeves, which are definitely too long.

Any advice from people who know this brand well? What should I do? Would it be a total mess to have a tailor shorten the sleeves on the NY Slim?

I would try the New York Classic in
16 1/2 - 35 1/2 and have the tailor adding darts
if it fits too generous. Darts are most probably cheaper than shortening sleeves.​

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kamakura Shirt Review:

• Cut: Tokyo Slim Fit (TSF)
  • Style: Oxford Shirt
  • Fabric: Pinpoint
  • Thread count: 80 (2 PLY)

http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/goods_en_usd_614.html

Approximately 3.5 weeks ago I received my first order of Kamakura shirts. I had originally ordered sizes: TSF 16-35 and New York Slim Fit (NYSF) 15.75-35. I am usually a 15.5 (and require about a 35.5 length sleeve. Unfortunately, both the TSF and NYSF were too large in the body, neck, and long in the sleeve. Today I was able to pickup the exchange I had requested. The box was not as nice, but who cares, right? I'm more concerned about the shirt hoping it will fit.

I'll agree with the everyone that the shirt is probably one of the better OTR dress shirts with a true slim fit. Personally, I could have the waist taken in a little more as there is still blousing. I will really know after a wash before wearing it out.

I'll start with some measurements. The exchanged shirt I received is a size 15.3 - 34.3.

• Sleeve is approx. 35"
  • Yoke is approx. 17.5" with shoulder point to point at approx. 18.25"
  • Chest is approx. 20.25"
  • Waist is approx. 19"
  • Length from back collar is approx. 31"
    (All measurements taken with the shirt lied flat)

I am 5'9 and approx. 150 - 155 lbs.

The good:

1. Nice initial fit when trying it on (I don't think any OTR, IME, can achieve as close as a fit when you go to a tailor and get the backs of shirt darted)
  2. Fabric feels substantial in comparison to other pinpoint oxford shirts
  3. Tall collar and a nice roll

The bad:

1. As someone mentioned, the button could be moved lower. Doesn't allow for the shirt neckline to curl open with the collars flared out. I assume this comes with more wear and wash as the fabric softens up.
  2. Sleeves are still a little short. I am under the impression that when the sleeve is unbuttoned the cuff should extend past the web of your index finger and thumb; here it does not. But for an oxford shirt I guess it the style and more so how your jacket sleeves are tailored to show a nice amount of cuff cleavage...
  3. This is more personal preference but I am not a fan of pinpoint. IME it does not wash well and the wrinkles set in and becomes hard to iron out (I wash and use a hand steamer to launder my shirts at home). I much prefer Dobby...

In terms of trying the next size up (or down, depending on a change in cut) I doubt I could achieve a perfect fit in terms of getting the right sleeve length, or more of a taper in the waist to account for my drop. For $70, the collar roll is really a great selling point. Plus, other neat details like MoP buttons. I will definitely stick with this size and cut and order my shirts in two (get my hands on the Dobby fabric).

Let me know if you guys find this helpful, or perhaps I missed something important. Maybe I even provided the wrong information. Please point it out!

edit:
It is worth mentioning that I am normally a size small in shirts if there is no tagged neck size. Rarely am I a size medium unless the whole aesthetic of the designer is for slim fitting shirts like Thom Browne, Gitman, or Band of Outsiders. I feel like the former are much more extreme in their slim fit silhouette whereas Kamakura is more refined showing restraint. It is more of a dress shirt for CM than it is for SW&D... Another note is that I think Brooks Brother ESF is too slim, IME.

@stevent

And if anyone knows, are the oxford sizing the same for other shirts like spread collars/cutaways?

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ thanks, much appreciated. Probably just going to order 3 sizes and hope for the best

garymyman

Reaction score

And if anyone knows, are the oxford sizing the same for other shirts like spread collars/cutaways?

Great review. In my experience the dress shirts fit a little snugger around the neck than the oxfords - or maybe the same, I don't use the top button on the oxford. I wear a 16.5/33 in every company's shirt but with Kamakura I find it more comfortable to size up to a 17/33.5" Tokyo Regular Fit.

Louys

Reaction score
Is it just me or does Kamakura list multiple products that are identical yet have different product numbers? I can't tell if there are details I'm missing or it is just that simple, though strange.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads