• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

As for Luxire, what appeals to me about Proper Cloth is this: http://propercloth.com/collar-styles/soft-ivy-button-down-collar

$85 for their light blue Oxford cloth. Seems like a slam dunk.

Thanks for the tip, however, as there are some other shirt styles I'd like to buy and I want to look at all the prices.

Just keep in mind that Luxire can replicate any collar you show them, or you can specify details such as point length, band height, tie space, etc. They can do fused or unfused, lined or unlined, soft, stiff, whatever you want. There really are no limits and they follow instructions to a T. You don't have to choose from their standard collars. But perhaps you already knew that.

I honestly think so many of us out there are in the same boat. Kamakura really needs to consider tweaking their sizing. 

+1. Their odd sizing is why I've yet to purchase a Kamakura shirt. Otherwise, they seem great.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry that you guys don't like the shirts, the TKSF fits me great! I hope they don't tweak the sizing, I just found my proper size granted took only 2 tries.

I don't like BB... bad experience with the shirting, and the customer service in-store. Stuck up SA... sounds like Kamakura staff in NY is very friendly :foo:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just keep in mind that Luxire can replicate any collar you show them, or you can specify details such as point length, band height, tie space, etc. They can do fused or unfused, lined or unlined, soft, stiff, whatever you want. There really are no limits and they follow instructions to a T. You don't have to choose from their standard collars. But perhaps you already knew that.

Ahhh, no I did not. Their awful web design threw me off, lol. Thanks for the info

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agreed, Luxire's website is subpar. They've acknowledged this and say that a complete revamp is coming soon, and will be much more user friendly.

yoose

Reaction score
It probably will not be in till approx. 2 weeks considering the return time then re-delivery to me. I can give you proper measurements then. FWIW the body measurements of the 15 5/6 - 34 5/6 seem better suited.

Other fits chest and waist size were too big, and even larger in person. I had originally tried:

TOKYO SLIM FIT(PC6217_21)(size:16 - 35)
NEW YORK SLIM FIT(OC9200_21)(size:15 3/4 - 35 1/2)

Both too wide in the body/collar, and sleeves a bit too long. Shoulders seem okay...

gettoasty, do you happen to have the actual measurements of the 16-35 tokyo slim fit? thanks.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, just received my tokyo slim and tokyo classic fit today and I must say I am impressed. 3 days free shipping from Japan to the middle of the US. Amazes me how international shipping is faster than shipping USPS within the states. Both of them fit right out of the box. The classic isn't huge by any means and the slim isn't too tight. A 15 tokyo classic is slimmer than a 15 1/2 ESF BB OCBD. Even the sleeves fit me almost perfectly (Yes, I'm one of those T-Rex arms you guys all complain about :p). Hooray for asian fits! Definitely buying more. I'd post pictures of both but people usually respond negatively unless I take the time to post proper fit pics.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you wash your clothes there is going to be shrinking. Otherwise, take it to the dry cleaners

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

If you wash your clothes there is going to be shrinking. Otherwise, take it to the dry cleaners

Maybe, maybe not. Needless to say, it depends on the fabric and how you wash. Except socks, underwear, and some t-shirts, I wash everything on cold and hang dry. Shrinkage is usually so minimal that it's not noticeable. easy_golfing's question is a reasonable one. That said, I don't own any Kamakura shirts so I can't address the question.

sebastianwr

Reaction score
I haven't tried cold washing my Kamakura shirt, but with the warm wash and hot dry it has shrunk a little (as I wanted it to).

Can't see any significant shrinkingon a broadcloth when washed at 30° C (almost cold).

Concerning the sizing: I noticed that the Tokyo Slim Fit I have pulls a bit in the chest area. If I bend my shoulders a little, it doesn't. Compared the shirt with a Cottonwork MTM and noticed that there the back width is greater than chest width, thus the shirt is cut for rather sloped shoulders that I don't have. Too bad because the shirt is near perfect.

easy_golfing

Reaction score
Hmmm thanks for the response guys. I'm in between the 14.5 and 15 in the Tokyo Slim Fit. Should I go with the 15 and give it a warm wash?

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered three linen shirts from Kamakura. Seems to be slightly bigger in the waist than my tokyo slims but with the same collar / sleeves (lucky!). Might order another two once I get these.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads