• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just finished a 20 day water fast

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Again, you are wrong. I have consumed over 5k calories in a day, for about a week straight, and didn't gain a pound. I exercised two of those days. And not hard.

Insulin is certainly important, but I really want to hear a convincing explanation for where those extra calories are going. The body doesn't just violate thermodynamics, digested calories go somewhere. You can gain weight even during ketogenesis, despite what the Atkins fanatics will tell you. Insulin isn't the only fat storage hormone, just one of the more powerful ones.

I lost 35 lbs in about 6 weeks at one point when I changed from one type of insulin to another (diabetic). My overall dose went down, and I wasn't having weird hunger surges from peaks in the insulin rates. I'm sure I was eating less, but simply having less insulin in my system made me store less fat.

foggy

Reaction score
Can someone just do 21 days, and then they will be the expert and can tell this guy to stfu.
deadhorse-a.gif

laugh.gif

utailor

Reaction score
The ignorance shown by many in this thread is amazing. It is possible to fast that long but I doubt I would be able to pull it off. Thanks for the report op.

utailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
OP is on a sensory deprivation fast.

Every day our bodies are overexposed to visual and audio stimuli. Did you know that humans were designed to live lives confined to a 10 square mile area [1]? Man's aberrant expansion beyond the birth-zone led to abominations of the human species such as War, the Industrial Revolution and High Fructose Corn Syrup [2].

Unfortunately we can no longly easily revert to the natural state because of the urbanist lifestyle [3]. We have created our own prison of high population density [4], advertisements [3] and concrete.

I applaud the OP's efforts to recreate the birth-zone by relocating to his parents' dwelling and shedding himself of the unnatural contrivances of work, education and fiscal responsibility.

[1] - [4]: I cannot recall the particular passage, but relevant information can be found in Hon. Rev. Dr. Mohammad Elijah's How To Eat To Die and Henry David Thoreau's Where's Waldo?

I just did a 10 day silent meditation retreat. No communication, no talking, no books... nothing. It was one of the best experiences in my life.

alex99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by utailor
The ignorance shown by many in this thread is amazing. It is possible to fast that long but I doubt I would be able to pull it off. Thanks for the report op.
Agreed. The ignorance is pretty bad, even for hive-minded styleforum. I have never fasted but have read enough accounts from others and spoken with people who have fasted for various reasons and didn't find the original post surprising or particularly revealing. Several years ago there was a really interesting article in GQ from a writer who went to a retreat in Thailand. I believe it was for a month. It was a bit different that the OP, in that you only ate a light soup in the morning and had to give yourself an enema every day. The main thing I remember from the article was all the things that came out of the guy's digestive tract in the 30 days. Stuff that had been stuck there since he was a kid, including, If I remember correctly, a marble. At the end he said his eyes were much brighter, he had better skin, and his energy was vastly improved. Sounds a lot like the OP here.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried this once. Not a 20 day thing, just to see how long I could go. You really do stop being hungry after a day or so. But then I drank a beer and it was all over.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by utailor

+1. Thanks for sharing OP.

vhee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
My body did a lot of healing during this period. Scars I've had for years disappeared, my skin is incredibly soft, vision improved, and I have more energy than I've had since I was a child.

I very much doubt this is even possible. You are either lying or suffering from delusions. Go see a doctor immediately.

HARVEY _BIRDMAN IT IS POSSIBLE! I HAVE BEEN DOING FASTING EVERY 3 MONTHS AND YES YOU GET MORE ENERGETIC, YOU FEEL GREAT INSIDE OUT, VISION IMPROVED AND EVERYTHING HE MENTIONED ARE ALL POSSIBLE..... WHY DON'T YOU TRY FASTING FOR YOURSELF AND SEE WHAT THE RESULT IS BEFORE YOU TALK CRAP ABOUT HIS EXPERIENCED FROM HIS FASTING JOURNEY!!!!

Ak47

Reaction score
No science here. If you have enough fat on your body this is not a terrible idea. If you are slim or even average weight this could send you to the hospital.

prady

Reaction score
I am surprised at the people's response here. All my life I saw my dad do a 9 day water fast once a year. He would do it for religious purposes, but whatever the reason be he always claimed the same things after ending his fast. He felt more energy, felt better, clear vision and stuff. While I grew up with typical western thought process with typical "eat-more-protein-or-you'll-die" mentality so it was highly illogical to understand what he did but I can understand what OP is talking about.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am surprised at the people's response here. All my life I saw my dad do a 9 day water fast once a year. He would do it for religious purposes, but whatever the reason be he always claimed the same things after ending his fast. He felt more energy, felt better, clear vision and stuff. While I grew up with typical western thought process with typical "eat-more-protein-or-you'll-die" mentality so it was highly illogical to understand what he did but I can understand what OP is talking about.

I'm not going to claim he didn't "feel" that way. I can't possibly measure his feelings. But I promise you his vision did not improve. His energy was not increased. His health was not better.

No science here. If you have enough fat on your body this is not a terrible idea. If you are slim or even average weight this could send you to the hospital.

It's still a terrible idea even for fatties. Jesus Christ have you people never taken biology 101?

HARVEY _BIRDMAN IT IS POSSIBLE! I HAVE BEEN DOING FASTING EVERY 3 MONTHS AND YES YOU GET MORE ENERGETIC, YOU FEEL GREAT INSIDE OUT, VISION IMPROVED AND EVERYTHING HE MENTIONED ARE ALL POSSIBLE..... WHY DON'T YOU TRY FASTING FOR YOURSELF AND SEE WHAT THE RESULT IS BEFORE YOU TALK CRAP ABOUT HIS EXPERIENCED FROM HIS FASTING JOURNEY!!!!

You have absolutely no idea of my experiences. You're an asshole.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously, mods, this thread is going to encourage someone to try something as stupid as what op did. Then you will be sued and they will win. Delete this dumb ******* thread in it's entirety. Please.

Ajlove

Reaction score
You sound so stupid. They could not possibly be sued for a blog/forum that they have up. You obviously have no idea what freedom of speech is. You're allowed to recount personal experiences online without getting sued. Just because you don't agree with what someone does with their life/actions doesn't mean they are wrong. If OP and anyone else decides to fast, let them. Is it affecting you? Hurting you? No? Then get over it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads