• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just a Paris store disply picture

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

Mauri has been cloned?
confused.gif

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
Designed for the pimp market presumably. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind buying these. Of course there is alway a demographic that is disconnected from reality. About 30% of Americans believe the Iraq war has been a big success, about 40% believe in alien abduction, 36% voted for Alf Landon in 1936, so somewhere, someone doesn't mind looking as if he's the sex industry.

Have you seen any pimps and players lately? The are now wearing Lobbs , Kiton, Berluti, etc.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
Can't find the shoe-Appreciation thread so posting it seperatly:
auslage.jpg

The blue ones would look good with navy blue trousers, I think. In fact, all three of them would look good with slim navy blue trousers. Stilmacher, have you seen my sea-turtle skin shoes?

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The blue ones would look good with navy blue trousers, I think. In fact, all three of them would look good with slim navy blue trousers.

Stilmacher, have you seen my sea-turtle skin shoes?

Yes, I think I have. Have you sold those tortoise frames you were offering a while ago?

The funny thing is that the newest shoes I have ordered look nothing like these here. Unlike many of the others here I can appreciate the style of things even if it is not applicable to myself.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Designed for the pimp market presumably. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind buying these. Of course there is alway a demographic that is disconnected from reality. About 30% of Americans believe the Iraq war has been a big success, about 40% believe in alien abduction, 36% voted for Alf Landon in 1936, so somewhere, someone doesn't mind looking as if he's the sex industry.

Keep in mind not everyone on the board is American (a common assumption that 99% of the American posters make
plain.gif
), hence with different stylistic sensibilities. As stilmacher and Golf_Nerd have commented, French gentleman may be able to combine these shoes into an interesting or stylish ensemble. I would love to see pictures of how you might work these into an outfit. Golf_Nerd, the picture you posted was a wee bit too blurry for me to make out. If I were given a pair of any of those shoes, I would probably imagine wearing them with a relatively "calm" or simple suit. Perhaps trying to compliment the shoes with the colours of a tie or shirt...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Keep in mind not everyone on the board is American (a common assumption that 99% of the American posters make
plain.gif
)

There is a tendency to forget about this. See most posts about bluchers/derbies with suits.
plain.gif

The elephant hide could grow on me, also the brown exotic on the left of the first pic.

I would prefer the elephant in dark grey or dark brown.
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The funny thing is that the newest shoes I have ordered look nothing like these here. Unlike many of the others here I can appreciate the style of things even if it is not applicable to myself.

Many people here are able to appreciate a wide variety of styles. These shoes, IMO, are too ugly to be appreciated for any reason. There is, IMO, no reason to appreciate these shoes. They fall far outside what Le Corbusier meant when he talked about "...good taste manifested by choice, subtlety, proportion, and harmony."

tommib

Reaction score
Elephant - from the ears.

I think a person who would want to wear shoes made from elephant skin is pretty disgusting. Sure I wear leather shoes, and yes I am placing the life of an elephant higher than that of a cow, but come on, elephant ear skin, how can you be alright with that?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Many people here are able to appreciate a wide variety of styles. These shoes, IMO, are too ugly to be appreciated for any reason. There is, IMO, no reason to appreciate these shoes. They fall far outside what Le Corbusier meant when he talked about "...good taste manifested by choice, subtlety, proportion, and harmony."

I must admit, even as a fan of Corthay, these are a bit silly...

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommib
I think a person who would want to wear shoes made from elephant skin is pretty disgusting. Sure I wear leather shoes, and yes I am placing the life of an elephant higher than that of a cow, but come on, elephant ear skin, how can you be alright with that?

I think the difference is that elephants are a threatened species, whereas cows are most definitely not. May not be the same as buying elephant ivory, but does anyone know the legality or the process surrounding elephant hide harvesting? i.e. is it illegally poached elephant skin, taken from game reserves in Africa?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Designed for the pimp market presumably. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind buying these. Of course there is alway a demographic that is disconnected from reality.
Don't discount the Parilabad Arab and North African contingency. P.S. Those elephant scrotum shoes carry quite a nostalgic African touch.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
May not be the same as buying elephant ivory, but does anyone know the legality or the process surrounding elephant hide harvesting? i.e. is it illegally poached elephant skin, taken from game reserves in Africa?
Hunting is done legally by governments nowadays (though of course poachers and the like still bring goods to the black markets). Someone like Corthay definitely uses the legitimate stuff - read up on CITES to find out about the whole certification and legal process behind the trade:

http://www.cites.org/
http://www.gleni.it/cites.html

Good attempt at trolling, with the picture of the baby elephant and all. Perhaps you should read up on the slaughter process for baby calfs and cattle for your own shoes to get a better idea of what you're talking about.

tommib

Reaction score
I suppose it must be legal for those shoes to exist. Trumpers were fined recently for selling an ivory shaving brush. People who buy these shoes are fueling demand for exotic and rare skins. I just find it so strange that someone would want to wear such an intelligent and beautiful animal on their feet.

There was a Loius Theroux programme on BBC the other week about game reserves in Africa where rich people pay up to £50,000 to shoot a Rhino point blank, they don't even stalk and hunt it Hemingway style, they just want it dead and to be able to say they've killed one. Those kind of people really deserve to be eaten or trampled.

Robin, it's not trolling, just my point of view. Like I said I don't care much for cows, they're pretty stupid compared to an elephant. Obviously you consider all animals equal? Maybe I could have you made into a pair of shoes and you'd find that no worse than having a cow or elephant killed for leather.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tommib
I suppose it must be legal for those shoes to exist. Trumpers were fined recently for selling an ivory shaving brush. People who buy these shoes are fueling demand for exotic and rare skins. I just find it so strange that someone would want to wear such an intelligent and beautiful animal on their feet.

There was a Loius Theroux programme on BBC the other week about game reserves in Africa where rich people pay up to £50,000 to shoot a Rhino point blank, they don't even stalk and hunt it Hemingway style, they just want it dead and to be able to say they've killed one. Those kind of people really deserve to be eaten or trampled.

Fair enough; I know that they do cull elephant herds periodically in areas where their population densities are too high to be supported by the vegetation, etc.. They could also collect hides from recently deceased elephants. I'm very fond of elephants after having gone on multiple elephant rides in Asia and interacted with them.

Those lazy game hunters deserve to be slowly torn apart by big cats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads