• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jl710

Reaction score

And for the pacsun comment, the quality and comfort are nowhere the same as cheap board shorts. Cheap shorts material never feels right.
How are they different though, I feel like its hard to complain about comfort of say the super stretch Hurley boardshorts, and they're only $50. I'm fine with the price tag, I'd just like to know if I'm just paying for a name or not. From the pic, they look pretty regular and maybe even not that stretchy?

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How are they different though, I feel like its hard to complain about comfort of say the super stretch Hurley boardshorts, and they're only $50. I'm fine with the price tag, I'd just like to know if I'm just paying for a name or not. From the pic, they look pretty regular and maybe even not that stretchy?

Mesh is the biggest thing I hate about cheap shorts. It never feels right. The actual material doesn't have a lot of stretch but it's soft to touch and doesn't have that crunchy sound of cheap shorts.

Board shorts at the end of the day is about the cut. Nothing there to do with price. Main difference for me is materials.

l0ftykeith

Reaction score
Mesh is the biggest thing I hate about cheap shorts. It never feels right. The actual material doesn't have a lot of stretch but it's soft to touch and doesn't have that crunchy sound of cheap shorts.

Board shorts at the end of the day is about the cut. Nothing there to do with price. Main difference for me is materials.

There's definitely a difference in feel if you compare Pacsun shorts with let's say Saturdays NYC. Just from looking at it from someone who doesn't know about JE, that fit just looks like something off a Pacsun rack. I personally wouldn't wear JE shorts for water sports as someone else on here already mentioned. I think swimwear from luxury brands are meant for "watching water" literally.

Board shorts from fast fashion brands definitely do not offer the quality in material, but I'm noticing that they've improved a lot on their cuts. They like to use the term "modern" fit.

beans718

Reaction score
I cancelled my jelly fish boardshorts..

So Saturdaynyc.. what else would be a good brand to look into? Sorry for a Hawaii trip coming up and wanna upgrade from my h&m polo ones I bought before a cruise last yr

koalii

Reaction score

There's definitely a difference in feel if you compare Pacsun shorts with let's say Saturdays NYC. Just from looking at it from someone who doesn't know about JE, that fit just looks like something off a Pacsun rack. I personally wouldn't wear JE shorts for water sports as someone else on here already mentioned. I think swimwear from luxury brands are meant for "watching water" literally.

Board shorts from fast fashion brands definitely do not offer the quality in material, but I'm noticing that they've improved a lot on their cuts. They like to use the term "modern" fit.

I agree, while they are comfortable these are more for looks then function.

Although the JE shorts are thin, they do not have a cheap feel to them, also the fit is more tailored than your standard quicksilver/hurley shorts. I have many quicksilver shorts that just flair out like a skirt. I personally am willing to pay extra for a "tailored" pair of board-shorts, but that's my preference. As I mentioned before these aren't anything special, but I prefer them over standard mainstream brands because of the print and fit.

grantmason6882

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So Saturdaynyc.. what else would be a good brand to look into? Sorry for a Hawaii trip coming up and wanna upgrade from my h&m polo ones I bought before a cruise last yr
Katin is a classic from my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

l0ftykeith

Reaction score
I agree, while they are comfortable these are more for looks then function.

Although the JE shorts are thin, they do not have a cheap feel to them, also the fit is more tailored than your standard quicksilver/hurley shorts. I have many quicksilver shorts that just flair out like a skirt. I personally am willing to pay extra for a "tailored" pair of board-shorts, but that's my preference. As I mentioned before these aren't anything special, but I prefer them over standard mainstream brands because of the print and fit.

Dude, take those Quiksilver and burn them -- unless you wanna look like a frat bro from the 90s

koalii

Reaction score

If you can find any Orlebar Brown shorts on sale (below $100), that's my preference.

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste your time with Saturdays. Everything I've bought from them has been made in China garbage. They shipped me an item in the wrong size once, after waiting two weeks for it, I shipped it back and then they shipped me the wrong item in return again. Then I had to fight them on a refund for three weeks they hadn't issued.

Last edited:

l0ftykeith

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste your time with Saturdays. Everything I've bought from them has been made in China garbage. They shipped me an item in the wrong size once, after waiting two weeks for it, I shipped it back and then they shipped me the wrong item in return again.

Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear that man. Thankfully I've never had an issue with Saturdays. Their customer service can be a little wonky at times (surf clique). I usually snag pieces when they're on sale off Hypebeast HBX

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear that man. Thankfully I've never had an issue with Saturdays. Their customer service can be a little wonky at times (surf clique). I usually snag pieces when they're on sale off Hypebeast HBX

Whoa you buy stuff from HBX? Where you located? I once bought a pair of shoes from them and they didn't fit, didn't realize they sent there stuff from HK, cost me like over $50 to send it back to them. It was horrible.

l0ftykeith

Reaction score
Whoa you buy stuff from HBX? Where you located? I once bought a pair of shoes from them and they didn't fit, didn't realize they sent there stuff from HK, cost me like over $50 to send it back to them. It was horrible.

I'm in NYC. But isn't shipping speeds for HBX godly? I realize they ship from HK too and was impressed

l0ftykeith

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste your time with Saturdays. Everything I've bought from them has been made in China garbage. They shipped me an item in the wrong size once, after waiting two weeks for it, I shipped it back and then they shipped me the wrong item in return again. Then I had to fight them on a refund for three weeks they hadn't issued.

Also, you might want to be careful about judging products on where it's made. My uncle owns a production factory in Shanghai and manufactures clothing for a very well-known and high end Italian brand that labels their clothing "made in Italy". Don't fall for the "made in China" tags anymore bro, it's 2017.

EDIT: yes, it's important to distinguish where your products were made. However, you may want to think twice about whether that "made in usa" tag was true.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member