• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, you might want to be careful about judging products on where it's made. My uncle owns a production factory in Shanghai and manufactures clothing for a very well-known and high end Italian brand that labels their clothing "made in Italy". Don't fall for the "made in China" tags anymore bro, it's 2017.

From my experience the quality has also been subpar. I had a hoodie that faded after 2-3 washes and a SS shirt that is frayed after a handful of wears. Maybe I've had a few off experiences. Enough for me to stay away though.

ElmTree

Reaction score
@peter1234930 The search is real for that SRD Parachute jacket.... I happen to go on Barney's Warehouse at 7 A.M. two Mondays ago and there was a Medium Slate that restocked. A return obviously, but it showed up to my house flawless with a brand new feel. $238 for an impossible-to-find item. I got hella lucky. If you're open to copping the Alpine, azaleasf.com still has a size 2/M... call to get an extra 15% off their sale price.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@peter1234930
   The search is real for that SRD Parachute jacket.... I happen to go on Barney's Warehouse at 7 A.M. two Mondays ago and there was a Medium Slate that restocked.  A return obviously, but it showed up to my house flawless with a brand new feel.  $238 for an impossible-to-find item.  I got hella lucky.  If you're open to copping the Alpine, azaleasf.com still has a size 2/M... call to get an extra 15% off their sale price.

This price on revolve is really good, $387, and if you've never bought off their iPhone app and get the additional discount it's even better!

http://www.revolve.com/mobile/john-elliott-srd-parachute-jacket/dp/JELL-MO66/?d=Mens

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's definitely a difference in feel if you compare Pacsun shorts with let's say Saturdays NYC. Just from looking at it from someone who doesn't know about JE, that fit just looks like something off a Pacsun rack. I personally wouldn't wear JE shorts for water sports as someone else on here already mentioned. I think swimwear from luxury brands are meant for "watching water" literally.

Board shorts from fast fashion brands definitely do not offer the quality in material, but I'm noticing that they've improved a lot on their cuts. They like to use the term "modern" fit.

Given what JE is as a brand I think the cut fits the brand. I haven't gone into a pacsun in years so I don't know what they sell. I tried on Zara shorts just for the hell of it and tbh I don't think I was all that comfortable in the short cut. In the pool sure but around town? I would pass on that look. Comes down to personal comfort zone too. I can't wear them too baggy or long or too short and fitted.

l0ftykeith

Reaction score
Given what JE is as a brand I think the cut fits the brand. I haven't gone into a pacsun in years so I don't know what they sell. I tried on Zara shorts just for the hell of it and tbh I don't think I was all that comfortable in the short cut. In the pool sure but around town? I would pass on that look. Comes down to personal comfort zone too. I can't wear them too baggy or long or too short and fitted.

Dude I haven't stepped foot into a Zara for years. I admit that I was a Zara junkie back when I was in college and broke, but wanted to look trendy. I have to admit, Zara's quality have gone down massively! Seems like they're pumping out quantity over quality nowadays, and copy the latest fashion trends as quickly as possible. I remember watching a YouTube fashion blogger reviewing a pair of mimic UltraBoosts from Zara just for laughs lol.

peter1234930

Reaction score
Seems like they're pumping out quantity over quality nowadays, and copy the latest fashion trends as quickly as possible.
Fast fashion in a nutshell. Designer item is released -> Zara/H&M create a shameless rip-off -> item is in in stores within a few weeks -> item sells -> item falls apart and is in the trash within a few months

Vinneo

Reaction score
Zara has always been that way, operate on the fly depending on what's trending. Constant releases, don't commit volumes in advance.

Lloydham

Reaction score
Just bought the Aluminum Flight Jacket off Saks Fifth for $234 as a birthday present to myself. I was looking through old posts in this thread from when it dropped and i see people saying it's huge. They didn't have an M and the price was too good to pass up cause I always thought that seemed like an original jacket and I love the Oak color. Am I going to take an L on this L? I wear M in Anti-Expo, L in Kake Mock. Anybody have experience with the aluminum jacket in general? I didn't see any fit picks or critiques in my search other than ppl saying it's huge. Thanks,

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just bought the Aluminum Flight Jacket off Saks Fifth for $234 as a birthday present to myself. I was looking through old posts in this thread from when it dropped and i see people saying it's huge. They didn't have an M and the price was too good to pass up cause I always thought that seemed like an original jacket and I love the Oak color. Am I going to take an L on this L? I wear M in Anti-Expo, L in Kake Mock. Anybody have experience with the aluminum jacket in general? I didn't see any fit picks or critiques in my search other than ppl saying it's huge. Thanks,

I have it. One of my fav jackets both look and color wise. I wouldn't size up though.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude I haven't stepped foot into a Zara for years. I admit that I was a Zara junkie back when I was in college and broke, but wanted to look trendy. I have to admit, Zara's quality have gone down massively! Seems like they're pumping out quantity over quality nowadays, and copy the latest fashion trends as quickly as possible. I remember watching a YouTube fashion blogger reviewing a pair of mimic UltraBoosts from Zara just for laughs lol.

We buy a lot of kids clothes there so I look at what they have in the men's section. The had some decent patterns last year but the fit wasn't for me.

fuzzystain

Reaction score

How are they different though, I feel like its hard to complain about comfort of say the super stretch Hurley boardshorts, and they're only $50. I'm fine with the price tag, I'd just like to know if I'm just paying for a name or not. From the pic, they look pretty regular and maybe even not that stretchy?

I agree. What are you paying for with these shorts? Established boarshorts comapnies already have some really cool fabric technology since they've been in the game for decades like quicksilver's diamond dobby low-friction stretch, etc. Off the top of my head, Outerknown has more modern fitting board shorts with functional fabric:
1247-Bright%20Black-1c8aa7cd-.jpeg
and a lot of these companies do have a more slim fitting and shorter silhouette option to their standard board shorts (eg. Quicksilver has the retro scalloped ones). Your paying for design? I don't see anything too unique about them... critter patterned shorts are a dime a dozen, Saturdays surf already did the waves pattern, and I'm sure I've seen ombré shorts a couple years back when it was more popular. Don't get me wrong I think when JE puts out unique pieces with custom fabrics it's worth it but all I can see here is paying for the name brand so you can say you're wearing JE everything.

armantylerm

Reaction score
I really only shop at Saturdays and JE, APC and Acne for staple pieces. Saturday's quality has improved significantly over the last few seasons. Their fit is superb. Order from Bloomingdales or the like to avoid their customer service department - I agree, they are slow to help. Can't comment on their quality vs JE with regard to that bathing suits, but I own 5-6 trunks from them and at $85 I keep going back.

srizvi722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love nikben. They're the ish. But idk if they make board shorts, I wear their swim trunks at the pool/beach, not outerwear.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads