• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jobs in China.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting thread.
I have been in the States for about 11 years and is moving to Beijing to work starting next month.
I guess it's because I grew up in Taiwan so that I find Beijing to be somewhat familiar to me, at least to the extend of living environment. It really assembles the old Taiwan but with all the modern buildings.
I speak fluent Chinese and English and I hope this will make me a little different.
I also agree that majority of the Chinese nowadays in the big cities (this is the part that I know of) are only looking at money instead of anything else, which is kind of sad, but that's exactly what I expected especially when you have billions of other people competing with you.

I'm sure been able to speak Mandarin is probably the single most useful thing you can have for life in China. Good luck with your move, please keep us posted how you get on. If you do intend to look at Facebook, Youtube, etc. you will need a VPN. BTW are you teaching or doing something else?

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure been able to speak Mandarin is probably the single most useful thing you can have for life in China. Good luck with your move, please keep us posted how you get on. If you do intend to look at Facebook, Youtube, etc. you will need a VPN. BTW are you teaching or doing something else?

I have been there for the past 2 summers and I got myself a realize VPN, but thanks for the headsup.

I am going to start my job at a law firm in Beijing.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What happens if you get caught with a VPN?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What happens if you get caught with a VPN?

Probably all depends on what you're doing. If you're an expat or tourist accessing Facebook or posting something on StyleForvm, nothing. On the other hand if you're a Chinese national trying to find or post something deemed illegal or undersirable by the CPC. Well you'd brobably find yourself been beaten with the butt of a QBZ and dragged off to a laogai for 20 years.

Thing is I'm sure the Great FireWall is meant more of a deterrent rather than a complete block. The authorities know many companies might need access to western websites in order to conduct their international business. Tencent in Shenzhen have a large presence on Facebook.

I have to be careful what I teach about in class. I know one foreign teacher who got into trouble, because he done a lesson based around the one-child policy. Not a good idea...
From his PPT "Hello and welcome to our debate 辩论 . This one is called the ONE CHILD POLICY. 一个孩子的限制 Policy of birth planning 计划生育政策 "

Last edited:

Maximator

Reaction score
Most of you are right on the money when it comes to your assessments of the Chinese people. You are however wrong in assuming that this is the only side. Yes, money is paramount. Yes, they can be incredibly rude, and yes, the pollution and traffic suck immeasurably much.

On the other hand, if you can work the system(at least to some extent) you can do incredibly well. While teaching English might be a black hole on a resume, I have found that you can make very good money off it. I know that very many of my foreign friends make a lot less money than I do here. I've also had more opportunities here than anywhere else in the world. I guess being in a developing nation does have it's perks, mostly from not being such a structured society. I do however agree on the fact that one necessity is that you leave your moral and ethical compass at the door. Morals and ethics(and compassion to some extent) are VERY useless.

A lot of people come to China expecting it to work like any other place in the world, which is why so many have such a miserable time. If you learn how to play the game, you'll do VERY well.

- Maximator

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Being King of a junkyard still means you live in a junkyard. :D

edit: I'm being unfairly dismissive here- if making money is your goal, then if you earn enough that you can save a significant amount of money then it could be worth it. If you can make 30,000 RMB a month, then you can live comfortably (in a big city, assuming) by saving 20k RMB a month. You can save about 37k USD a year by doing that, which is not bad. If simply making money and getting out is what you want though, the UAE will let you save twice as much.

Also, while my statements about China at large are extremely negative, I do appreciate the lifestyle and the work people like MikeDT do in the places far from the emperor. I promised myself I'd never go back to China, but I have a hankering to visit some far-off, clean, friendly places like just for the experience.

Last edited:

Maximator

Reaction score
Being King of a junkyard still means you live in a junkyard.
biggrin.gif
that's very true. However, it will be MY junkyard. I will have built it(talking about my business), not someone else.

Also, being king is AWESOME!!!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
the apostrophe in the title of this thread annoyed me so deeply that I used my mod powers for the first time in like 18 months

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the apostrophe in the title of this thread annoyed me so deeply that I used my mod powers for the first time in like 18 months

Cheers to Matt, SF mod and possessive apostrophe killer. :) It was annoying me as well.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're a non-white collar expat (i.e. you don't live abroad working as a legitimate business person) you either:

A) Are a loser

B) Will become a loser

C) Will forever be surrounded by losers.

As someone who has spent a plenty of time in Asia, believe me, this is true. Say whatever you want, it's still true.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you're a non-white collar expat (i.e. you don't live abroad working as a legitimate business person) you either:
A) Are a loser
B) Will become a loser
As someone who has spent a plenty of time in Asia, believe me, this is true. Say whatever you want, it's still true.

What do you qualify as? A, B or C?

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A) Are a loser
B) Will become a loser

Not at all true. Quite a few of the dads at the local international school are working class Britons and Australians who've made a go of it in Hong Kong. Make a good living, own nice houses, have nice families.

Last edited:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not at all true. Quite a few of the dads at the local international school are working class Britons and Australians who've made a go of it in Hong Kong. Make a good living, own nice houses, have nice families.

Made a go doing what? Legitimate business? Managing factories in Shenzhen? That's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to TESL teachers, guest house owners, sexpats, bar owners, beach bums, etc. That's the lions share of expats you run into outside of the big cities and, by and large, they're losers.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads