• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

intensanity

Reaction score
I'm considering letting the Umit Belize Tokyo Tort Belize's go. Almost perfect condition, just a little off on my face. DM if interested, would prefer to get it to a SF Gent.

ColdinMN

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get cheaper priced transition lenses?

I know Costco is cheap but they're a generation behind on the transistion tech and Zoomer is close to retail without the middleman tax added.
I would like to know this too. Costco is apparently cheap but most of the time they are not comfortable working with the thick acetate frames (at least around here). My local opticians that carry JMM are great but pricey, and only one takes my insurance. Zoomer runs around $400 for progressive transitions.

I’m considering putting transition or just sunglass lenses into one of my optical pairs, Walker Black Fade 2 or Molino 55 Hickory. I’m thinking green lenses but I’m open to suggestions.

Any thoughts from the group?

Thanks.

75B997C0-2D6D-4BE9-88F1-91A95299BCD5.jpeg 41720732-5AB3-4340-B579-6CDC52E27545.jpeg

DomoDomo

Reaction score
I would like to know this too. Costco is apparently cheap but most of the time they are not comfortable working with the thick acetate frames (at least around here). My local opticians that carry JMM are great but pricey, and only one takes my insurance. Zoomer runs around $400 for progressive transitions.

I’m considering putting transition or just sunglass lenses into one of my optical pairs, Walker Black Fade 2 or Molino 55 Hickory. I’m thinking green lenses but I’m open to suggestions.

Any thoughts from the group?

Thanks.

View attachment 1941821 View attachment 1941823

Try Replacement Lens Express- they are an online lens replacement service that I’ve personally used since 2016 with probably close to 30-40 frames done with them. I recently did a few progressive transitions and paid between $350-$175 for them (depends on the color you want the transition in and the other options). I’ve given them frames that cost anywhere between $795 to $100 and never had a major issue. The minor issues, they fixed without question and have always been there to help answer questions. Jennifer is the best. Turnaround time is about 5-7 working days.

I know remote lens replacement may not be for everyone but if you want to try it out I cannot recommend RLE more. They are definitely the most competitive for price vs quality out there!

Also try out an amber shade for your Molino’s! They go great with a darker frame.

ColdinMN

Reaction score
Try Replacement Lens Express- they are an online lens replacement service that I’ve personally used since 2016 with probably close to 30-40 frames done with them. I recently did a few progressive transitions and paid between $350-$175 for them (depends on the color you want the transition in and the other options). I’ve given them frames that cost anywhere between $795 to $100 and never had a major issue. The minor issues, they fixed without question and have always been there to help answer questions. Jennifer is the best. Turnaround time is about 5-7 working days.

I know remote lens replacement may not be for everyone but if you want to try it out I cannot recommend RLE more. They are definitely the most competitive for price vs quality out there!

Also try out an amber shade for your Molino’s! They go great with a darker frame.
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check them out!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty keen on this...turns out to be less than what I pay with insurance for a pair of sunglass lenses.

How is the quality of the lenses?

Does anyone else use a mail-in option for lenses that less expensive than a local retail shop?

ColdinMN

Reaction score
I'm pretty keen on this...turns out to be less than what I pay with insurance for a pair of sunglass lenses.

Does anyone else use a mail-in option for lenses that less expensive than a local retail shop?
I have used Zoomerlens several times. I have also used a company called Replacealens.

Zoomerlens are good quality but cost me about the same price as using my insurance. They’re very comfortable with JMM frames. Customer service is very good.

Replacealens seems to be priced cheaper ($250-$300). I think the quality was okay but I only used them for a backup pair of sunglasses about 5 years ago.

Replacement Lens Express seems cheaper for the same type of lenses Zoomer uses (Shamir Autograph 3). I need to buy a pair of beater sunglasses this summer for the lake, fishing,…. I’m thinking I give Replacement Lens Express a try.

I have not used Costco at all.

Any other suggestions?

cheetoincharge

Reaction score
I have used Zoomerlens several times. I have also used a company called Replacealens.

Zoomerlens are good quality but cost me about the same price as using my insurance. They’re very comfortable with JMM frames. Customer service is very good.

Replacealens seems to be priced cheaper ($250-$300). I think the quality was okay but I only used them for a backup pair of sunglasses about 5 years ago.

Replacement Lens Express seems cheaper for the same type of lenses Zoomer uses (Shamir Autograph 3). I need to buy a pair of beater sunglasses this summer for the lake, fishing,…. I’m thinking I give Replacement Lens Express a try.

I have not used Costco at all.

Any other suggestions?
I'm still looking for an alternative. Tried to use zoomer recently and the experience was not good. Had to have my frames sent back to me, and I am scratching my head if I just had bad luck or they can't handle the volume. I think it's the latter.

DomoDomo

Reaction score

The lens are great quality- they offer major brands such as essilor, varilux, and also their own private label that is substantially lower in price. They also offer Transitions gen 8 including all the style colors which is harder to find with other online lens replacement places.

ColdinMN

Reaction score
I'm still looking for an alternative. Tried to use zoomer recently and the experience was not good. Had to have my frames sent back to me, and I am scratching my head if I just had bad luck or they can't handle the volume. I think it's the latter.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe they are going through some growing pains. I think at times JMM is too. Hopefully they figured it out for you.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads