• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Spring 2012

warrenjl1

Reaction score

I don't understand how people can get their panties all in a twist over a brand that has risen in popularity over the past 3 or 4 years.
[*] Wallace & Barnes line - deceivingly positioned as a collaborative line
Deceiving us? They have always said it's their brand?
[*] Deceptive item photos - metal clips to make garment seem more 'tailored' than it really is
I bet there is not a single company that is as big as J.Crew or bigger that doesn't doctor their clothes to make them look good.
[*] Blatantly raising item prices once they get popular (Chippewa boots)
It's called supply and demand. It's annoying sometimes but you have to realize that they are a company, they have investors, and if it's no longer worth it to buy that product, someone else will.
[*] Product copy w/ airs/pretenses of luxury (eg, "We source our leather from... bla bla bla)
So it's a bad thing for a company to highlight the fact that they are using fabrics from family owned companies? Why would they pay more to use something that their buyers would appreciate and then completely sweep it under the rug?
[*] Bad-faith marketing - "Hurry! 20% Off One More Day Only" - Then, the next day, it's 25% off
Again, show me another company that doesn't have more than one sale. What do you think they do with the stuff they don't sell in the first round of sales? Burn it?
[*] Tasteless pandering to clueless middle American men - "10 Tips to Dress Up Casual Fridays"
You answered your own question, they are trying to help america's clueless men into dressing better. I guess you need to explain to me why this is bad again.
[*] STEALS designs from other brands (off the top of my head, eg, Gitman Bros; Wings + Horns; CDW)
[/LIST]
haha, when J.Crew comes out with a design, it has probably been on the design table for around 2 years or so. So when they come out with something the same season as another brand it's just a fluke of all the designers. Plus all of J.Crew designers probably worked at smaller design houses like Gitman so they are all thinking the same thing.
I think you are just looking for things to be upset with about J.Crew. They are a huge company so they can't possible operate the same way that smaller companies that I am sure you like better. I think you are forgetting that they are a mall brand, and for that they are worlds better than anything else out there.

^Winner.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score

I don't understand how people can get their panties all in a twist over a brand that has risen in popularity over the past 3 or 4 years.
[*] Wallace & Barnes line - deceivingly positioned as a collaborative line
Deceiving us? They have always said it's their brand?
[*] Deceptive item photos - metal clips to make garment seem more 'tailored' than it really is
I bet there is not a single company that is as big as J.Crew or bigger that doesn't doctor their clothes to make them look good.
[*] Blatantly raising item prices once they get popular (Chippewa boots)
It's called supply and demand. It's annoying sometimes but you have to realize that they are a company, they have investors, and if it's no longer worth it to buy that product, someone else will.
[*] Product copy w/ airs/pretenses of luxury (eg, "We source our leather from... bla bla bla)
So it's a bad thing for a company to highlight the fact that they are using fabrics from family owned companies? Why would they pay more to use something that their buyers would appreciate and then completely sweep it under the rug?
[*] Bad-faith marketing - "Hurry! 20% Off One More Day Only" - Then, the next day, it's 25% off
Again, show me another company that doesn't have more than one sale. What do you think they do with the stuff they don't sell in the first round of sales? Burn it?
[*] Tasteless pandering to clueless middle American men - "10 Tips to Dress Up Casual Fridays"
You answered your own question, they are trying to help america's clueless men into dressing better. I guess you need to explain to me why this is bad again.
[*] STEALS designs from other brands (off the top of my head, eg, Gitman Bros; Wings + Horns; CDW)
[/LIST]
haha, when J.Crew comes out with a design, it has probably been on the design table for around 2 years or so. So when they come out with something the same season as another brand it's just a fluke of all the designers. Plus all of J.Crew designers probably worked at smaller design houses like Gitman so they are all thinking the same thing.
I think you are just looking for things to be upset with about J.Crew. They are a huge company so they can't possible operate the same way that smaller companies that I am sure you like better. I think you are forgetting that they are a mall brand, and for that they are worlds better than anything else out there.

so basically all of your arguments boil down to [1] Other companies might do it, so it is at least in part, justified [2] Bad-faith marketing is OK the bigger a company gets

i would say more, but since you didn't really address the substantive basis of my argument which is that j crew uses bad-faith tactics, it probably would be lost on you and therefore not worth my time. sorry, i don't consider "But other people do it, too!" to be a defense worthy of rebuttal

or was there something more substantial i missed in your sycophantic defense to j crew and condescending, baby-like "supply and demand" blabberings that were inexplicably poised toward my argument re: j crew's bad-faith business practices? despite studying advanced economics in undergrad, i'm always willing to learn from someone on the internet graced w/ an ostensibly brilliant mind

Last edited:

ac_slater

Reaction score
He has a point about the mall brand thing though.

Compared to Abercrombie, American Eagle, and Express, J Crew is tops.

ac_slater

Reaction score
He has a point about the mall brand thing though.

Compared to Abercrombie, American Eagle, and Express, J Crew is tops.

derrida26

Reaction score
so basically all of your arguments boil down to [1] Other companies might do it, so it is at least in part, justified [2] Bad-faith marketing is OK the bigger a company gets
i would say more, but since you didn't really address the substantive basis of my argument which is that j crew uses bad-faith tactics, it probably would be lost on you and therefore not worth my time. sorry, i don't consider "But other people do it, too!" to be a defense worthy of rebuttal
or was there something more substantial i missed in your sycophantic defense to j crew and condescending "supply and demand" blabberings that were inexplicably poised toward my argument re: j crew's bad-faith business practices? despite studying advanced economics in undergrad, i'm always willing to learn from someone graced w/ a brilliant mind on the internet

I think he has a point though, in that you're taking j. crew's "problems" a little too seriously. If it was some designer label, then sure, you may have a few points, but honestly, it's ******* j. crew, a ******* mall brand. Who the **** cares if they tailor the clothes to their mannequins.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
i don't see how finding brands that are inferior to j crew negates or lessens j crew's bad business practices or voids them for discussion

my claim wasn't "there are no mall brands inferior to j crew", so i don't see why you all keep raising that as a point of contention

if j crew knowingly clips the sleeves and backs of their clothing to make them look deceptively slim in stock photos, then i think that's worthy of discussion. it's information that's worthy of being proliferated into the public domain b/c it informs us (ie, those of us who shop at j crew) about what they do, and the fact that they are willing to purposely deceive consumers about the material aspects of the garments seems to be important.

it's a problem, because when you buy something from a website, there is a good-faith understanding that the stock photo can be taken to fairly represent what the product looks like, since there's no means to physically inspect the product in-person. therefore, when you buy such a product on that assumption, and receive something else in the mail, it is not b/c of your shortcomings as a buyer, but rather b/c of j crew's intent to fool you.

frankly, i think that's a problem, and i think it's neither voided by the # of j crew garments you have in your closet nor how many other brands do it. if you don't think that's a problem worthy of consideration, then perhaps this entire thread should be retitled "J Crew Appreciation and Passive Consumption", and i certainly won't come back b/c i'm not interesting in being surrounded by people who passively consume w/out critically reflecting

Last edited:

Therendition

Reaction score
or was there something more substantial i missed in your sycophantic defense to j crew and condescending, baby-like "supply and demand" blabberings that were inexplicably poised toward my argument re: j crew's bad-faith business practices? despite studying advanced economics in undergrad, i'm always willing to learn from someone on the internet graced w/ an ostensibly brilliant mind

Whoa! You went to college?! Neat! :D

derrida26

Reaction score
I mean, I agree, it is a problem, but who the **** cares. If you're worried about fit, there are plenty of local stores (unlike a lot of designer brands) nearby where you can try things on, and their website also provides measurements.

The point is that j. crew is a mall brand. If you want nice clothes, shop somewhere else. It's like going to a gourmet cooking forum and complaining that the display windows at Wendy's "deceive" the customer. Who the **** cares.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Johdus: Hey, there's the new secret-wash-slub-wallace-barnes-sun-faded-indian-cotton shirt on that J.Crew mannequin. It looks great!

[After trying it on]

Johdus: Nuts. This secret-wash-slub-wallace-barnes-sun-faded-indian-cotton shirt is vanity sized. They must've pinned the shirt on that mannequin! Oh well. Time to forget about this mild disappointment and enjoy my well-rounded life.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see people taking the role of contrarian now that J.Crew is greatly unpopular on SF. How expected.

Last edited:

Mr. Bananagrabber

Reaction score
Can someone recommend me a shoe similar to the Alden Pebble Grain shortwings?

I liked the Alden x JCrew shortwings since they seemed more casual than the straight Alden shortwings that did not have the pebble grain and lighter colored rubber sole. I really like that color and texture.

Newstyle

Reaction score
I'm a little irritated with J. Crew and their sale items. I remember when their sale items were not final sale, it seems as if lately their sale items are only final sale, how ridiculous is this?!

DannyJman

Reaction score
Pretty much Swagged up - I'm liking the winter jacket they got there.

Good Line, Awaiting.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a little irritated with J. Crew and their sale items. I remember when their sale items were not final sale, it seems as if lately their sale items are only final sale, how ridiculous is this?!

It's totally ridiculous. It's just another example of J. Crew's adversarial relationship with their customers. The whole idea of "final sale" is bulls**t.

tanxp

Reaction score
Where's this sucker at? I've been looking for a layer I can wear this spring that isn't my arcteryx jacket. This also looks like linen, which is great in the muggy south.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads