• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise (but also Suspicion) of Patterned Pants

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

SF's master of the crazy pants is edmorel:

Indeed. There's another photo somewhere of ed with multicolored tartans, navy blazer and gray wool tie which is great. I like the look and have a couple pair, but I've relegated them to winter holiday festivities. I get a lot of "nice pants" comments (both sarcastic and genuine) whenever I wear them, and I'm not always in the mood for that.

I'm not really keen on the subtle plaid odd pants. They always look to be orphaned from a suit to me.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plaid rulz, solid drulz. :embar:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, a risk. Pulled off properly, a triumph, otherwise, catastrophe. I think Spoo's posts demonstrate the polar opposites, the first being a GTH that you either get or don't (personally, I like it). The second, shoes aside (which completely suck, I think, with the pictured trousers), can work in most any setting, but we need more--jacket, shirt, tie, PS--to know whether it's thumbs up or down. Spoo, who knows way more than me or most others, surely knows this. He's teasing.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love patterned pants. Here are a few of mine. I've got about 7 pants at the tailor right now and I think a few of them are patterned. Until those are back, here's a few of mine:

Phineas Cole by Paul Stuart

Valentini

and Polo Ralph Lauren by Corneliani

Here's another pic I found of one that's being tailored.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love patterned pants. Here are a few of mine. I've got about 7 pants at the tailor right now and I think a few of them are patterned. Until those are back, here's a few of mine:

nice! fit pics please if you get the chance...or poast some in this thread next time you wear...

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nice! fit pics please if you get the chance...or poast some in this thread next time you wear...

I wore the Phineas Cole pair last night having just bought them in New York and had it tailored. There was something about the shape of them that was a bit odd to me. The thighs were pretty tight while the lower leg wasn't. Does anyone else own a pair and can comment? They do have some awesome patterned pants, which I have trouble finding outside of Ralph Lauren.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
e30a32dd.jpg

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is this really enough of a pattern to be considered as such? I think I can make out a very faint blue windowpane? Not even sure I'm really seeing that or imagining it. I really like this look but wouldn't really include it as an example of working in patterned trousers.

DerekS' trousers are also fairly solid, though perhaps have a vibrant enough pattern to be more helpful as an example of how to incorporate them (not a fan of the tie or square though).

Here's a random thought: are patterned trousers best used when going tie-less (or even "tie+square-less")?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Sometimes patterned pants come in handy when trying to match the carpet in your office...

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DerekS - I like that jacket in particular a lot

HF - I think the blue windowpane, faint though it may be, qualifies them as patterned. To me the windowpane does add to the outfit, as in I like it more than I would if the blue windowpane were not there, so in that sense it's an example of patterns being put to good use. The thread is not just about how to incorporate really loud patterned pants, but also about how patterned pants can be better or at least a pleasing diversion from solid pants. Don't just ask what you can do for patterned pants, also ask what patterned pants can do for you.

bb - well played. you have the perfect camouflage for ambushing unsuspecting coworkers.

E TF

Reaction score

DerekS - I like that jacket in particular a lot

HF - I think the blue windowpane, faint though it may be, qualifies them as patterned. To me the windowpane does add to the outfit, as in I like it more than I would if the blue windowpane were not there, so in that sense it's an example of patterns being put to good use. The thread is not just about how to incorporate really loud patterned pants, but also about how patterned pants can be better or at least a pleasing diversion from solid pants. Don't just ask what you can do for patterned pants, also ask what patterned pants can do for you.

Yes the blue overcheck (more visible if you open the pic in a new tab for supersize image) really make that outfit. I thought the trousers were good till I noticed it - then I thought they were great. Also pulls off the patterned trouser & patterned shirt mix successfully - I usually cop out and stick to a plain shirt.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pairs, but more often then not, I end up wearing them on casual Fridays or to play golf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics