• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to start wearing a suit every day

AMProf

Reaction score
You guys do realize that the OP posted this question 7 years ago, and last posted on SF 4 years ago? I don't think he's listening to your advice.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
This is what happens when someone new joins, starts a new thread or asks an entry level, basic menswear question and gets shouted at for not using the search feature by some of the more helpful souls around here...

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't have to dress up to dress well.

I'd love to suit up too once in a while, but suiting up everyday is not the norm (of the general population) nowadays. I too hate the over-"casualization" of clothing, but that's the world we live in now. Unless your job requires it, wearing a suit too often just makes you look like an odd and/or uptight dandy (even if you're not). It's just too affected and impractical to put on a tie when it's not required, or to wear a jacket/blazer when it's too warm (though I do wear a blazer at work when it's too cold, and I'm the only one who does). Sticking out as the overdressed guy is not masculine or sexy, and there is a risk of your outfit looking costume-y.

Besides, dressing well without using ties and blazers is more fun and challenging. If you lived in the time when people wore suits everyday, you can only stand out by getting a better fit, using better color coordination, or using accessories. But at a glance you would still be basically dressed the same way as everyone else. Nowadays we have so many options, and dressing well to stand out from the slobs wearing baggy clothes, ugly t-shirts, and flip-flops is a lot easier. I want to be known as the stylish guy, not the overdressed guy.

This

People are putting too much thought into this. If you wear a suit to Taco Hell, people aren't wondering why you wore a suit to Taco hell. They just see you looking good (hopefully) in a suit and go on about their lives. There are a million reasons why someone could be wearing a suit to any random place. Wearing a suit to random restaurant? Maybe it's an anniversary. Maybe it's a post interview celebration and you didn't have time to change. What idiot would sit there and judge you, and why would you care about that idiot? By the way, I doubt many women are looking down upon a man looking good in a suit. Sure, you may get the usual sports-obsessed slob looking down on you, but many women appreciate dress. That's why there are so many damn clothing stores for women because they notice! Nowadays women are increasingly in leadership positions over others. Times are always changing.

This as well. Great post.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys do realize that the OP posted this question 7 years ago, and last posted on SF 4 years ago? I don't think he's listening to your advice.

It's a discussion. If random people want to keep reading it then so be it.

I agree with Feyd Rautha. He's been working on that response post for seven years now. Let him have his moment in the sun.

TheLaw007

Reaction score
look mate, i don't know you or anything, and if you wanna wear suits everyday go ahead and do it. BUT if you are doing it because you wanna impress people or you wanna showoff or some **** like that, just don't do it because it will not work for you as a matter afact i wont work at all, you will look like a jerk covered with make up. but if you are doing it because you like it and you want to stand out then that's a good start. so don't listen to any other folks that said no because you in school or you don't have a decent job and ****.

i am 23 years old now,i am fraud investigator, yes my job required suits but i started to wear suits since i was 14 years old, why ? because i loved it and i still do. i didn't care what ppl think nor what they say. and right now i have 25 per of suits.

now here's my tips for you mate,
i would suggest you wear a 2 button or one button, a 3 button suits are more for elders and old school peeps, there's nothing wrong with that but again you wear what makes comfy mate.
! if you are a tall man, you should go with medium deep v 2 button that way you can get to be comfy.

and when you sit, always and always unbutton your, that it does not stack up your chest.
samething if you're going to dance always always unbutton your suit.

go for it mate ! do what makes you happy :) and welcome to the suits world.

WolfA45

Reaction score

Greetings.

I want to start wearing a suit and a tie every day. Even when I'm not working. Even when I'm just sitting at home. Even when I go to school. I want to do it because it looks good.

But I have only one problem: I have for a very long time always found it rather uncomfortable to have a tie on. Feels less freedom around the neck if you know what I mean.

Still, as time goes on I want this to be my new signature, "the guy who only wears suits and has never been seen without a tie on".

My question is: Is there anyone here who wears suit/tie every day? Will I get used to it with time? How long will it take getting used to?

Regards,

Interface.

MrSmith

Reaction score
[quote/]

This thread needs a decent burial.

Suits do not breed respect necesarily as you insist - out of place , which is something judged by society generally not the wearer it will cause much mirth and do you no good at all, so get that view out of your mind whilst you are young.[/quote]

Utter bollocks. Who care's what the chatterati think. Resurrected just for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads