• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to start wearing a suit every day

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Wearing a suit out at night makes you look like you came straight from the office.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As long as you have occasion appropriate suits. While a Brooks Bros. suit may be fine for work, it will look out of place when going out socially. A more casual "fashion forward" suit would be more appropriate imo.

Occasion appropriate - that's a better term for it.

sns23

Reaction score

Wearing a suit out at night makes you look like you came straight from the office.

That's why it depends on the suit. If you are wearing a pinstripe Brooks Bros suit then yes, you are right. However, if i am wearing a suit with very slim trousers, slim and short jacket, in a louder color (like a brighter blue), without a tie, then i think it does not look like i came from work. You cannot have one style of suit.

Last edited:

calcoast

Reaction score
After looking through WAYWRN who WOULDN'T want to wear a suit everyday...I know it makes me want to.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
Here's the thing though; in today's society, simply putting on a blazer and pants that aren't jeans is considered "formal wear"/"too dressed up" by many. If we go by today's standards there is no good reason to ever don a dinner suit and unless your job requires it you can get by just fine with a single black suit worn at weddings and funerals.

"Dressing for the occasion" today doesn't hold the same meaning as it once did and more often than not only translates to "wear whatever you feel like it" (jeans, t-shirt and flip flops).

So you really have two choices - go with the rest of the flip flop slobs or say "fudge it" and dress any way you damn well please even if it means you will be considered over dressed.

fncceo

Reaction score
Bravo! Up until 50 years ago (within the lives of some of us here) your average, middle-class European or American wore a suit and tie (and hat) on a daily basis and more casual clothes around the home on weekends. There is nothing wrong with showing a bit of style when you're home. You don't need to put on beer-stained shorts, a wife-beater and Crocs to feel comfortable, I don't even notice that I'm wearing a tie or long sleeves -- it's as normal to me as wearing a hole-ridden t-shirt is to someone else.

Since the '60s the "fashion" pendulum has swung much too far in the casual direction and now people attend public functions dressed like Afghan refugees. Generally speaking, I think people spend less time thinking about their clothes than they do the most recent episode of "Jersey Shore" which, in my opinion, is a pity.

I wear a suit and tie every day to the office and when I get home, I remove my shoes, my coat and hat, hang them up and brush them. Depending on the weather, I will wear a suitable robe, but I don't remove my shirt and tie until time for bed. On the weekend, I wear casual clothes suitable to the situation, Chinos and a polo shirt for outdoors, tweed for rural sporting, shorts for boating and swimwear for the beach.

I would even venture to say that I have fewer clothes than your average man but I have a real wardrobe (for example, I have many Egyptian cotton shirts in various colours, but practically no t-shirts with pictures of cartoon characters on them). If you're going to wear suits every day, get good ones, in classic style that will last and get enough of them so don't wear the same one every day (no more than once a week is optimum) and you have enough suits for each season where you live. Any decent tailor can help you selecting fabrics colours and weight and you won't spend significantly more for a bespoke suit in excellent fabrics than you will for an off-the rack name-brand suit.

Some will deride you for your decision, but others won't -- and they're the ones who really count.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a suit and tie all of the time is nuts. I don't care what any of you say, it's CWAZY. You can stretch your time-in-suit out a little by wearing it with a more casual collar shirt and NO tie, but in real life, wearing a suit all of the time just doesn't make sense. So, when you take your girlfriend/boyfriend to the zoo, you're going to wear a suit and tie? I'm curious to know how long it took before the OP snapped out of this phase.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing a suit and tie all of the time is nuts. I don't care what any of you say, it's CWAZY. You can stretch your time-in-suit out a little by wearing it with a more casual collar shirt and NO tie, but in real life, wearing a suit all of the time just doesn't make sense. So, when you take your girlfriend/boyfriend to the zoo, you're going to wear a suit and tie? I'm curious to know how long it took before the OP snapped out of this phase.

You might wear a shirt, trouser and safari jacket?

newyorknoir

Reaction score
I want to start wearing a suit and a tie every day. Even when I'm not working. Even when I'm just sitting at home. Even when I go to school.

Forget what people think heck I will ware a tails coat. Heck all walk into a modern tennage so call club and be dressed in al british suit with a wihte wig on.

crackup[1].gif

Last edited:

cruizer

Reaction score
Wearing a suit everyday is different from wearing your basic tee and jeans. Serious thought goes into every detail of the suit so you have to ask yourself if you are really comfortable in going through all the details everyday to wear it.

businessman15

Reaction score
Ties are unfortunately part of the deal for the polished professional look. I wear suits or at the very least blazers and dress pants and always highly shined shoes whenever I'm in public, be it at work or not. We're in an economy where unless it's a vacation for me, there is no real closing time. It's a look that in career-related activities I've always known commands respect and instantly puts me into a professional and detail oriented state of mind. Like you perhaps, I thought, if that look gets me instant respect and impeccable manners from others and better customer service while conducting personal business than could ever occur while wearing... jeans and a t-shirt... why not assume the pressed and polished look full-time while in public? In a world of LinkedIn and personal websites we are more than ever our own entrepreneurs regardless of whether we're someone's employee and I wish to project a well-mannered, respectful, polished and gentlemanly atmosphere at whatever doorway I step in. If someone says that I'm dressed up, I tell them "No, I'm dressed in a respectable and gentlemanly manner." I don't own jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, or sneakers anymore. I wear khakis less and less often. Dress pants are the norm on weekends when I'm not in a suit. I make it my style. I always wear French cuff shirts with a white collar and cuffs when I wear a suit. I always wear a tie with color cordinated pocket square when I wear a suit. It's my style and my self-imposed dress code during the week and on Sundays due to my religious convictions. I have a variety of very nice sweaters I wear on Saturdays and after I'm in my home for the night and on vacations. Obviously, sweaters make no sense in the summer and warmer spring and fall days. Instead I wear very lightweight blazers with white t-shirts which are kept extremely clean. I never wear shorts. In the summer I wear linen pants. I know it seems rather rigid, but, it's my style and my strict self-imposed dress code and I don't intend to waver from it anytime soon. I am a stickler for details and neatness wherever I am. I make it my rule that regardless of whether I'm on vacation or it's a Saturday, I wear a suit while entering and checking out of hotels, flying planes, getting on or off trains and while at any restaurant. I'm not a rigid person. I actually have a very healthy sense of humor. I just believe that as a society we've become increasingly sloppy about our appearance. For me it is a look that says, "I don't care." I in fact, do care very, very much about how the world sees me at all times... not just at work and won't have any part in how most people dress themselves. I have no qualms at all about standing out. I'm standing out for a good reason.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't worn a suit in almost a year. I haven't even worn a tie more than a dozen times. I don't miss it at all.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xmaxx-xrbuy