• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

as_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
j.crew and RRL have them. the j.crew ones are nice enough and priced at a point where you'd probably get the most bang for the buck unless you plan on wearing them on the regular.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...2220/12220.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...4545/24545.jsp

I have a pair of these in the 484-slim. The first day I wore them, I paired them with a black belt. At the end of the day, I took off the belt and discovered black smears all over the pants where the belt was resting, no doubt caused by the belt.

I haven't gotten around to washing them yet. Any idea why this happened, and how I can get rid of these stains (if they're even possible to get out?).

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the following:

Jean Shop Heavyweight (15oz.)
or
Jean Shop Resin coated (13.5oz.)

Thoughts/opinions???

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by as_
I have a pair of these in the 484-slim. The first day I wore them, I paired them with a black belt. At the end of the day, I took off the belt and discovered black smears all over the pants where the belt was resting, no doubt caused by the belt.

I haven't gotten around to washing them yet. Any idea why this happened, and how I can get rid of these stains (if they're even possible to get out?).

leather dye most likely. i've had boots color socks before. it should wash out.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PattyC
Is there such thing as denim as dark as say APC's or the Gap rigid denim that will stay dark?
You should check out the Triple Works denim from Blue Owl. It is some of the nicest denim Ive ever seen (spurr, sugarcane, Dior, apc, others included) and they offer it in permanent dye or fast fading dye.

dano

Reaction score
I need help finding a pair of high rise tapered jeans, but I can't find a pair I like on any of the usual SF approved places. Here are the measurements I'm looking for:

Waste (true): 35-36"
upper thigh: 13.25-13.5"
leg opening: 8-8.25"

Slubby is a plus. These are the measurements of some khakis that fit me well, but I can't find a good pair or raw denim.

dano

bimmernate

Reaction score
I am on the Levi site, and see a color called "rigid tumble." They are indigo, like 501 STF...
Will those jeans act like the 501 shrink to fit and take on a personality of their own or stay really blue and bland?

Thanks

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roguetheory
Re-post.
Jean Shop 'Rocker' model is available in a raw natural. Can't link directly to it, but see: www.worldjeanshop.com
Originally Posted by dano
I need help finding a pair of high rise tapered jeans, but I can't find a pair I like on any of the usual SF approved places. Here are the measurements I'm looking for: Waste (true): 35-36" upper thigh: 13.25-13.5" leg opening: 8-8.25" Slubby is a plus. These are the measurements of some khakis that fit me well, but I can't find a good pair or raw denim. dano
Fwiw - the waist dimension really doesn't matter. Giving us an idea of the approximate rise you need would be better. Samurai has almost exactly what you need though. The 0500xx are awesome jeans. Also, take a look at Levis LVC 1966 model, and Denime 66xx (not currently in-stock at BiG but you can find online via Rakuten.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Trying to decide between the following: Jean Shop Heavyweight (15oz.) or Jean Shop Resin coated (13.5oz.) Thoughts/opinions???
The standard 13.5 is great denim. Lightweight by Forum standards, but no lighter than Levis. I wore them through two Philly summers and didn't faint. I've handled the 15oz, and it's excellent denim too - but it would be pretty hard to wear them in Philly summers like this. No visible difference to the denim otherwise. If you're new to this tier of denim, I'd say the 13.5oz is a little more of an all-rounder, and JS's standard, popular weight.

enarchay

Reaction score
Couple of questions about the Levis 501 STF...

In regards to the 501, I notice that in certain pictures, it looks like the hem width looks pretty wide, whereas in others it is slimmer. I prefer the hem width to be on the slimmer side so the jeans don't go past my shoes. In the pictures where they look slimmer, did the users have them tapered? Or do the hems get wider as the size goes up or something?

How much does it usually cost to have the pants tapered if they are really wide?

And, finally, how much do Levis 501s tend to stretch out after the initial wash, and once they've stretched, can they be shrunk down again without affecting the break-in period? I bought a pair of 501s in my usual size, and they fit perfect after having gotten in the tub with them, but I'm worried that they will become too loose over time.

T0nyPr0

Reaction score
Ok I'm looking to get some good jeans. To give you an idea I was looking at the APC new standard jeans. Is this a good way to go for my first "high end" jean purchase or should I look elsewhere. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My rescues have recently become too big (lost some weight), my rescues are a 31 (but I imagine a 30 would be a better fit)

If I get NS should I size up, or is the waist fit similiar?

Also, is there a way to make the denim feel stiffer/more rough? I've only had experience with RRDS and RRDG in the past, and the denim feels much heavier/stiffer whereas APC's feel sort of light and soft...ideas?

I'm looking for a fit MOST similar to RRDS/RRDG, I loved the way these felt, but I'm tired of Nudies

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads