• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate (my) cellphones

eztantz

Reaction score
What happened to the good 'ol days when we only had land lines with a tape answering machine. No caller ID or call waiting. Now I'm always available - or so people think. They even get upset that I don't pick up, like I have to be accessible. Ridiculous! I wanna get rid of this ****, move to a farm and get these people the f*** outta my life. Am I the only person who can't stand this?
ffffuuuu.gif

flashback

Reaction score
you're only "always available" if you choose to be. I ignore calls and texts all the time. Sometimes its because its not a good time for me to talk, and sometimes because I don't feel like talking right then. Just because you have a phone and CAN be available all the time doesn't mean you HAVE to be. And the benefits of mobile communication far outweigh the perceived drawback that you're talking about.

eztantz

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Like yourself I ignore calls and texts all the time. I was referring to the fact that many people expect to get ahold you whenever they feel like it. We obviously owe this to the fact that with cell phones we are always accessible. This idea is what annoys me.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Like yourself I ignore calls and texts all the time. I was referring to the fact that many people expect to get ahold you whenever they feel like it. We obviously owe this to the fact that with cell phones we are always accessible. This idea is what annoys me.

My GF has ATT/Iphone and she is always having problems with it and the terrible coverage. This weekend, she was at the mall, and I guess either a tower, or a processing station was out, and for over 30 minutes she was unable to make a call or even send a text. Now, you might say, so what. But I was trying to coordinate plans. And, what if something happened, if she needed to call 911, if I had an emergency, etc... needless to say I was quite off put, and almost bought her a pre-paid cell phone from another provider to keep in her purse for just such a situation.

I guess, the problem is that in exchange for the unfettered access when you want it, you ahve to deal with it when you dont need it. At least in the old days, you had a landline, etc... What if your mom has to go to a hospital? or your car dies on the freeway? Do you really want to give up being reachable?

I have my phone set to shut completely off around 1 am and stay off till about 6. I did that to 1) save battery since I often forget to charge, and 2) so that an errant text, or an incoming email (the flashing light alone has woken me up). However, it completely freaks me out, my parents are not young, my friends all have newborns and I dont want to be cut off in an emergency.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get used to putting it on silent and not checking it often. People will stop expecting you to pick it up all the time. This is what I did.

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
At least in the old days, you had a landline, etc... What if your mom has to go to a hospital? or your car dies on the freeway? Do you really want to give up being reachable?
Like I originally said - farm life. Much simpler.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My GF has ATT/Iphone and she is always having problems with it and the terrible coverage. This weekend, she was at the mall, and I guess either a tower, or a processing station was out, and for over 30 minutes she was unable to make a call or even send a text. Now, you might say, so what. But I was trying to coordinate plans. And, what if something happened, if she needed to call 911, if I had an emergency, etc... needless to say I was quite off put, and almost bought her a pre-paid cell phone from another provider to keep in her purse for just such a situation.

I guess, the problem is that in exchange for the unfettered access when you want it, you ahve to deal with it when you dont need it. At least in the old days, you had a landline, etc... What if your mom has to go to a hospital? or your car dies on the freeway? Do you really want to give up being reachable?

I have my phone set to shut completely off around 1 am and stay off till about 6. I did that to 1) save battery since I often forget to charge, and 2) so that an errant text, or an incoming email (the flashing light alone has woken me up). However, it completely freaks me out, my parents are not young, my friends all have newborns and I dont want to be cut off in an emergency.

facepalm.gif

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having LOST my cellphone (which isn't a good thing because I do use it) I am enjoying not being able to be contacted by phone at all times. I don't have a landline either. It's a really nice feeling that I'm not going to get a phone call from someone I don't want to talk to. I'll be getting my new phone in about a week. I hope I don't miss any really important calls though. I guess that's what email's for.

tor

Reaction score

You can call 911 even if you don't have service. She would have been picked up by another company's tower. Phones without service can call 911; my mom's StarTac from '98 can still call 911.

I hate my phone because the LG Voyager is a *************. Other than that, I make it a point to stay in touch when I must but on vacation, I hardly text or call anyone. It's really for convenience when I need convenience. It's also a ******* waste of money, but for the times I need it, it's indispensable.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Only Fashionista is accorded the privilege of unrestricted access to me by phone or text (and apologies to her in advance for the times I miss calls).

Otherwise, the only time I answer is when I'm expecting a call or when I feel like answering. And it's extremely seldom I call anybody. Just not a phone person.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Get used to putting it on silent and not checking it often. People will stop expecting you to pick it up all the time. This is what I did.

+Trillions

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember running ****** from way out in the "back 40" when I was a kid to get the phone because we had no answering machine and it might be important. Sweet-ass rotary phone too. I want a land line when I get my own place just so I can have one of those again.

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I remember running ****** from way out in the "back 40" when I was a kid to get the phone because we had no answering machine and it might be important. Sweet-ass rotary phone too. I want a land line when I get my own place just so I can have one of those again.

They have rotary phones still? I guess they do...

I need one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics