• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I feel like a prick

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn
[...] He double-checks his math, and it is indeed correct. [...]

It's details such as this that identify a good writer
smile.gif

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Someone earlier mentioned that they wanted a retailer's perspective. Well after university, I ran a shoe store for a couple of years. I ran into customers such as the OP (and an alarming number of forum members apparently) on a regular basis. Here's my take: You wasted my time and insulted me. You feel as though YOUR time and money is far more valuable than mine. You are content not having to waste time and money ordering online, trying, returning shipping and reordering. However, I'm expected to give up my time and money for nothing in return?

You have no qualms distracting me from other sales that would actually make money. Furthering the problem, you're forcing me to take the time to track down your shoes. Then, I'm out the money for the shoes until you pay the balance. After you take them home, try them and bring them back I now have a pair of shoes that I've eaten the cost of shipping on and now need to sell, likely at a discount over a longer period of time. If it takes me 6 months to sell those 14EEEs (not even remotely unrealistic), I'll be paying taxes on inventory that I didn't even want in the first place.

How is this even a grey area?

It bothers me that you see the shoe, have me fit you and tell you your size, fill you in on the shoe's technical information, offer advice as to what shoe meets your needs and then watch you walk away knowing that you had no intention of buying from me. Why are my prices higher than www.whatever.com? Well, I just gave you my services. They're included in the price.

Unless you run an HR, then you have very little idea of what their profit margin actually is. A "huge" markup to you may be the cost of doing business in that area of the world while still being able to offer you a 14EEE.

Plain and simple, it was wrong.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." -Samuel Johnson

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
after 8 pages one would think this is rather self evident. or one didnt read the whole thread in which case posting is often ill advised
Oh I never read the full thread ... I just look for the better avatars and read the posts associated therewith. It's SF's version of CliffNotes.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Oh I never read the full thread ... I just look for the better avatars and read the posts associated therewith. It's SF's version of CliffNotes.
Well RSS, I guess you missed my post with the 50% off coupon then.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Well RSS, I guess you missed my post with the 50% off coupon then.
50% off ... uhhh ... what exactly? If you made the offer while you were displaying the Crane / Pio bag ... I suppose so. And to be honest ... I always seek out both of you.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had no idea that there was a link to your store's website on here. I now have it bookmarked.

I especially like the Filson offerings.

As for the discount offer ... not to worry ... I pay retail.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
As for the discount offer ... not to worry ... I pay retail.

laugh.gif
full circle /thread

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I had no idea that there was a link to your store's website on here. I now have it bookmarked. I especially like the Filson offerings. As for the discount offer ... not to worry ... I pay retail.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
It's been up there for 2 years!! Ack!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Oh, that'll get me to look again ... big time.

Why bless your heart (Southern to English translation: about the same as those strange little faces in your response). And there I was ... bending the truth ... to give you more free publicity. Remember, the only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about!

Hopefully other people see ads and commercials ... I've always looked past them. I don't know if this is a fault or more of an ability ... but I think I'm an advertiser's nightmare. Of course, I don't do a lot of shopping, and what shopping I do I save for London where I get it all done in a short period of time. Perhaps I'm unusual by Style Forum standards, but the last time I was in a men's store here on the West Coast was five to ten years ago. Other than a quick visit to yours yesterday, I doubt I've visited an on-line store since last year. So ... don't feel too badly.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajmanouk
All of the cap toe CALFSKIN AE's at Harry rosen are 395 + tax. Comes out to a good 440 bucks with our lovely 13% HST in Ontario.

Ever heard of someone paying 450 bucks for calfskin Allen Edmonds? Welcome to Canada.
bounce2.gif

I have, dozens of times. You obviously can't afford Allen Edmonds so you have no business in Harry's to begin with. Your store is the Bay and your shoe is the Florsheim Kenmoor.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I have, dozens of times. You obviously can't afford Allen Edmonds so you have no business in Harry's to begin with. Your store is the Bay and your shoe is the Florsheim Kenmoor.

I was waiting for you to follow that up with "small-timer" or some comment about AE seconds.
laugh.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I was waiting for you to follow that up with "small-timer" or some comment about AE seconds.
laugh.gif

477_son_i_am_disappoint.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads