• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often are 36S/38S high-quality staple suits/jackets sold on B&S?

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LennonMcCartney
please sell me a 38s rlbl or rlpl, k' thanks.

I would if I could since RLBL don't fit me. I've seen plenty on B&S though and I believe there are one or two right now. Trust me it's frustrating how many 40 & 42s you see!

You MUST either use the search or go back multiple pages as there is a strict no bump rule on sales threads. If you are just looking at page 1 or 2 you are missing out unless you are checking daily.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Will look, thanks. If you have a direct link that would be awesome. EDIT: i saw the db that Trini is selling, if that's what you're referring to.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's constitute the difference between a 36 and a 38? Their measurement seem very similar. Will somebody mind to clarify this for me?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
more often then not, not much unfortunately. I find many "36's" are more like 38's. I have to search for 34's to find a true 36. http://cgi.ebay.com/KITON-NAPOLI-SUI...item563bdfb78f http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-SARTORIA-PAR...item588ab44fa8 http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-SARTORIA-PAR...item5196d617b8
Exactly. I laugh when I see a "36" suit with 18" shoulders. I've tried on 36 jackets that fit me like a tent even in the chest. However, I've tried on vintage suits that are even narrower than some current 34's.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LennonMcCartney
Will look, thanks. If you have a direct link that would be awesome. EDIT: i saw the db that Trini is selling, if that's what you're referring to.

That is just one of many threads, sorry I am not going to do your work for you - just keep going farther back and be willing to pop into any thread that has a brand/style you are interested in. I promise you there are at least 3 more current threads with stuff in your size like Tweedydon and Whusurdaddy and some Isaiah or Polo blazer thread.

I wish more people would list size(s) in the post title, or at least in the first sentence so when you do a hover you can see without needing to clickthrough. I check twice daily so I can see anything that pops up without having to dig too much.

I agree regarding sizing - I just go by shoulder measurement (~17" for me) and worry about the rest later since I've seen everything from a 34-40 with my #s. WTF is up with a 38 with 18"+ shoulders though??? Also, I'm pretty thin but do they really expect a 36 to be a drop 7? I haven't been a 29" waist since I was about 14. I'm a 31 now...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's always the shoulders that get me. I need a 16.5, 17's sort of acceptable. But 17.5-18??? with a 19.5-20 chest? that's a 38 and I don't care what the label says.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for those interested, I'll be putting up a about 7-10 items in 36S/R this weekend. Just need to find time to take pics, measurements, etc.

Suits and sportcoats *new and used*........

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
it's always the shoulders that get me. I need a 16.5, 17's sort of acceptable. But 17.5-18??? with a 19.5-20 chest? that's a 38 and I don't care what the label says.

This. I see so many suits in B&S, ebay, and real life that have huge shoulders for a 36... and yeah like you said I see alot marked "36" that are more like a 38... and larger than alot of slim 38's. Are there really that many guys who wear a 36 that have really wide shoulders?
In general I find that it's pretty hard to find a 36 that's a true 36, with shoulders of 17 or less, and fits slim in both the jacket and the pants.

As far as the OP- I occasionally browse MC B&S... and its quite rare to see a true 36 and if it appears it doesn't last long especially if its at a reasonable price.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
got one that might interest you guys... The suit is from Sartoria Partenopea Suit, size 34S. Measurements chest 38, shoulders 16.5, back length 28, pants waist 28... pic posted below. Asking price $900. Email vittorio nahum [morigimilano@gmail dot com]. I have no afiliation, I just saw his stuff and emailed to ask if he had a 34s (fits like a 36s) These guys make Kiton and such. Check their ebay store - http://myworld.ebay.ca/morigimilano/
sartoriapartenopeasuit3.jpg

gsxrlawyer

Reaction score
I think we need a 36s/38s support group. However, it's more likely that we'd snatch things up before telling anyone because actual 36s measurements in staples seem hard to come by.

I don't know if anyone is in the South Florida area, but the off 5th saks at sawgrass has a decent amount of 36s (although most is calvin klein and saks house brand stuff) with the occasional mainline zegna or armani available. The barneys outlet also has a decent amount of 36s in stock (but most is their piatelli stuff) with the occasional hickey freeman stuff.

I keep forgetting to go into the zegna outlet, but they might have some 36s. The bloomington outlet usually has canalis on the racks, but I don't think I've seen a 36s yet, and most are sportcoats rather than staple suits.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gsxrlawyer
I think we need a 36s/38s support group. However, it's more likely that we'd snatch things up before telling anyone because actual 36s measurements in staples seem hard to come by.

I don't know if anyone is in the South Florida area, but the off 5th saks at sawgrass has a decent amount of 36s (although most is calvin klein and saks house brand stuff) with the occasional mainline zegna or armani available. The barneys outlet also has a decent amount of 36s in stock (but most is their piatelli stuff) with the occasional hickey freeman stuff.

I keep forgetting to go into the zegna outlet, but they might have some 36s. The bloomington outlet usually has canalis on the racks, but I don't think I've seen a 36s yet, and most are sportcoats rather than staple suits.

I hate giving away my Miami "secret" but the Dolphin Mall Bloomies outlet has a full rack worth of 36/S and a lot of it is good. The Saks and NM there are mostly worthless for our sizes other than shirts/pants/etc but shoes and suits/SCs they are way limited. I passed on three blazers last weekend at Bloomingdales since I don't need them but damn that Roda & Aquascutum fit and felt great. Wish I had splurged on the Corneliani suit 36S I tried a month or two ago there, that thing made me look
bigstar[1].gif

Uh, if you like Hickey they always have a ton at Saks. I find them to be a giant box.

I gotta hit up Sawgrass sometime though as I do love some of the brands Barneys carry.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My size 38 days are a distant memory
redface.gif

But this thought came to mind.

There are often 38S and ( less so ) 36S items listed in the B & S forum.

One thing for sure is that you will almost always do better in the SF B & S Forum than in Ebay or other reselling venues.

Has anyone ever noticed the large amount of people that seem to constantly scan the B & S Forum? I think there are 345 watching right now ( and that does not include lurkers ).

I think it is safe to say that the word has gotten out that there are opportunities for fabulous buys on B & S, though obviously not every listing is a fabulous buy.

I think aportnoy is a 40R ( formerly a 42R ), and singlechange is a 38R. Someone that immediately pounced on their sales listings could have gotten quite a bit of super quality items at amazing prices, and they are just 2 examples of great sellers. And there are many other amazing sellers ( including 36S and 38S sellers ) that people are constantly waiting to see if they list anything for sale.

If you are looking for 36S items, I assume you are are relatively short. Do you need ties? I might have some short conservative ties ( like 52 to 55 inches in length ). If I can find them and you need them, they are yours.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
what's constitute the difference between a 36 and a 38? Their measurement seem very similar. Will somebody mind to clarify this for me?
The only real difference is a 36 is slightly shorter and the chest is more narrow. A marked 38 usually has a 40 to 42" actual chest measurement, while a significant number of 36's have a 38" actual chest measurement, making it unwearable for me. Even though the shoulder is 18". Which is ridiculous. edit: What exactly is the search term for 38s? I always get no matches when I type 38s in the search box. "38 s" doesn't work. And 38 s gives me a bunch of crud.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ does the shoulder width come concern as a factor? Meaning that, does a 36 have a certain range of shoulder measurements and a 38 have a range of measurements?

I was at the only local men's apparel store today, and the ******* lady there was clueless on what I had to ask her. Her didn't know what bespoke meant, she didn't know shat and she called me a petite figure I found it very offensive, I told her I was slim.
fight[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads