• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often are 36S/38S high-quality staple suits/jackets sold on B&S?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do you really need a 36S? usually you can tailor away a 36R pretty easily, unless you want to shorten the jacket by 2 inch or something...

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
do you really need a 36S? usually you can tailor away a 36R pretty easily, unless you want to shorten the jacket by 2 inch or something...

Well, do you want to pay $50 in tailoring costs to get it right, or would you rather have the jacket length fit you without having to wait and paying more? In addition, shortening the overall length will affect the button stance and height. It will also move the pockets down. Basically, it throws off all the proportions.

Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
^^ does the shoulder width come concern as a factor? Meaning that, does a 36 have a certain range of shoulder measurements and a 38 have a range of measurements?

Well, at 36s, you are petite... JK.

But yes, they absolutely matter. Shoulder measurements are the only measurement that is not alterable. Theoretically they are, but I have yet to hear a story where they came out perfect.

In answer to the second part, a 38 usually has a 17.5" to 18" shoulder measurement paired with a 40-42" actual chest. The 36 should have a slimmer shoulder as a dude with a skinnier chest should theoretically have skinnier shoulders. But he might not. Either case, shoulders can range from 16" to 18" on a 36. Which is why you always want to try on a jacket in person before buying it. Or at least know your shoulder measurement. Its the same as the yoke on your shirts btw.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I find 36's should have around a 16.5-17.5 shoulder width, and 34's will have 15.5/16-16.5.

For someone like me with a 16.5 shoulder, actual 38 inche chest and a 30 waist ie drop 8), I end up buying either slim 36's or regular sized 34's.

shoudlers are an important factor, and as mentioned it can't really be changed. it affects how the whole garment essentially hangs down your body.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a very slim chest but I have a somewhat of a wide shoulder at 18" I find 17.5 and 18 shoulder fits me best. Guess I'll have to buy 38s and get the chest and waist slim.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Well, do you want to pay $50 in tailoring costs to get it right, or would you rather have the jacket length fit you without having to wait and paying more? In addition, shortening the overall length will affect the button stance and height. It will also move the pockets down. Basically, it throws off all the proportions. Well, at 36s, you are petite... JK. But yes, they absolutely matter. Shoulder measurements are the only measurement that is not alterable. Theoretically they are, but I have yet to hear a story where they came out perfect. In answer to the second part, a 38 usually has a 17.5" to 18" shoulder measurement paired with a 40-42" actual chest. The 36 should have a slimmer shoulder as a dude with a skinnier chest should theoretically have skinnier shoulders. But he might not. Either case, shoulders can range from 16" to 18" on a 36. Which is why you always want to try on a jacket in person before buying it. Or at least know your shoulder measurement. Its the same as the yoke on your shirts btw.
50 here and there, not really an issue, as long as the jacket is not way too long. I don't think the balance really changes if you cut a less than a inch (which is what I usually do). In reality I am a 37 ish, and somewhere between S and R, though since that size doesn't exist, I just find what is workable, then spend $$$ away on alteration... you comment on measurement is about what I have experienced as well. I can take close to 38's shoulder, but more close to 36 chest...and either way usually need to take in on the side or center after I get it anyway.

billsayers

Reaction score
Being a 36S...I can honestly say that it is hard to find suits at a bargain. There simply is not enough inventory of those sizes to make it to sale racks.

I recently paid $650 for a BB Fitzgerald suit (during BB's Christmas sale). Some people here might think that is absurd as they are getting RLPL or RLBL for around that price on B&S.

Unfortunately, the fact is that 36S does not pop up here on the B&S, and a few that do are oversized (with 40-inch actual chest measurements) or have the pants shortened to 29-inch inseams.

I now accept the fact that I have to pay retail or buy at the very start of a sale if I want something in my size...at least here in the U.S.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@bill Too true.
frown.gif
38s is not much better.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the above posters. Maybe i just don't look hard enough, but I can never seem to find 36s or 38s suits, even at many of the major dept stores or larger designer stores around me (and I figure LA shouldn't be a horrible place to shop).

It's ironic but every time bloomingdales, barneys, etc. have massive sales around here, they are always flooded with 40 and 42R's, which I would think should be the more "common" size and should sell out fast.

Gilt has a bunch of Hickeys on their website right now that might be worthwhile for posters in this thread. Prices are not "amazing" by SF standards but they do have a lot of 36s/38s and the suits fit pretty slim/true to size.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
I agree with a lot of the above posters. Maybe i just don't look hard enough, but I can never seem to find 36s or 38s suits, even at many of the major dept stores or larger designer stores around me (and I figure LA shouldn't be a horrible place to shop).

It's ironic but every time bloomingdales, barneys, etc. have massive sales around here, they are always flooded with 40 and 42R's, which I would think should be the more "common" size and should sell out fast.

Gilt has a bunch of Hickeys on their website right now that might be worthwhile for posters in this thread. Prices are not "amazing" by SF standards but they do have a lot of 36s/38s and the suits fit pretty slim/true to size.

you should look hard at bloomingdales and barneys, when I was in NYC, that's where I used to get my majority 36/38 from. Saks and Fifth used to have more on sale, but seems to disappear a lot quicker now a day (or left with crap).

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you should look hard at bloomingdales and barneys, when I was in NYC, that's where I used to get my majority 36/38 from. Sa
Ironically, I lived in Manhattan during my grad school days. But being grad school, I couldn't afford and didn't really have a need for suits. I'll need to check it out next time I'm there.

ak622

Reaction score
how are the quality of Hickey suits? The price is reasonable but not at the prices people associate with SF steals.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ak622
how are the quality of Hickey suits? The price is reasonable but not at the prices people associate with SF steals.

Supposed to be nice. I find they fit like boxes though not trim at all.

I've had all of your guys frustration too - I went to the local super, duper high end mall (Bal Harbour) and Saks, Nords, Armani, etc all said "NO!" when I say 36?

I agree Bloomingdale's seems to cater a little more to us - the local outlet has a good 20 suits/SCs in our size that are from good brands not just Abboud & Boss. Saw Roda, Aquascutum, Corneliani to name three I looked at last time.

I'm narrow shouldered so I'm like a 36 shoulder but 38 chest, yay me.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So let's say that I'm set on getting a solid navy/charcoal RLBL Anthony Suit in a 38S. How would I even get it? I've been checking their website for a while, and while I see 38R, I never see 38S. Do they ever have them in stock in the retail stores?

I also want to mention that the New BB 1818 Milano line might be a good alternative to RLBL once they release some solid navy/charcoal suits. It isn't too hard to get 36S or 38S on sale at BB.

KevM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by billsayers
Being a 36S...I can honestly say that it is hard to find suits at a bargain. There simply is not enough inventory of those sizes to make it to sale racks.

I recently paid $650 for a BB Fitzgerald suit (during BB's Christmas sale). Some people here might think that is absurd as they are getting RLPL or RLBL for around that price on B&S.

Unfortunately, the fact is that 36S does not pop up here on the B&S, and a few that do are oversized (with 40-inch actual chest measurements) or have the pants shortened to 29-inch inseams.

I now accept the fact that I have to pay retail or buy at the very start of a sale if I want something in my size...at least here in the U.S.

I agree with this. I was thinking about getting a BB suit or two at an upcoming trunk show. I am comfortable with the price if I am getting a perfect fit in a staple fabric.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
Supposed to be nice. I find they fit like boxes though not trim at all.

I've had all of your guys frustration too - I went to the local super, duper high end mall (Bal Harbour) and Saks, Nords, Armani, etc all said "NO!" when I say 36?

I agree Bloomingdale's seems to cater a little more to us - the local outlet has a good 20 suits/SCs in our size that are from good brands not just Abboud & Boss. Saw Roda, Aquascutum, Corneliani to name three I looked at last time.

I'm narrow shouldered so I'm like a 36 shoulder but 38 chest, yay me.

not all hickey fit the same way, some have quite a bit waist suppression and still have strong shoulder (not skinny suit).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertd