• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you wear green?

32-20

Reaction score
I have green eyes, but they tend to be drowned out by surrounding colours.
Ties and pocketsquares aside, how do you work green into your outfit?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olive khakis are nice, olive cords are even more popular. I have an olive suit I wear occasionally, and a mossy green tweed jacket. Pale green shirts can be nice. Sweaters allow for just about any color you want, and I have some in varying shades of green.

If you want to wear green things, wear green things. Olive and other dark greens are classic enough, and should be easy enough to find in fall/winter lines.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think deep mossy and deep heather green is the most attractive shade for fair skin types. Pink shirts are a favorite combo with them along with denim.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mossy green tweed. Green shetland sweater (sans jacket). Green ties.

I'd wear a green casual shirt.

32-20

Reaction score
I have conservative tastes, so looking "classic" or at least traditional is my main concern.
Trouble is, green is a distant fourth to shades of blue, red and brown in traditional menswear. (Not counting the greyscale.)
I suppose a green tweed sportscoat could work...
A green and white striped shirt seems like something a footballer would wear, and plain green seems excessive somehow. Maybe green has too many sporting associations these days - at least that leaves room for an outdoorsy jacket.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have conservative tastes, so looking "classic" or at least traditional is my main concern.
Trouble is, green is a distant fourth to shades of blue, red and brown in traditional menswear. (Not counting the greyscale.)
I suppose a green tweed sportscoat could work...

All of the options I suggested could very easily look classic and/or traditional. Olive in particular has been around for a very long time in classic menswear. Get the idea of bright leprechaun green out of your head- pale mints for shirts, deep olives for jackets. If you think classic menswear is limited to blue, red, and brown, then you have very little idea of the variety of colors they wore before color photography. Look up some old apparel arts stuff sometime.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear it like this.......

well, you asked. Blackwatch shirt/ Blue-Green plaid Burberry square. sorry for the crap fitting room pic.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This jacket is green......

....and so is Patrick Grant's.....

FillW

Reaction score
I found a dark green sport coat at a Goodwill. I need to get it dry cleaned and pressed. I think it'll go good with jeans.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A green suit will perform well.

I have an olive suit. I love it, but it's one of those things you don't really wear as part of the regular rotation.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got olive green Corthay Arca's and G&G racing green Carlisle shoes. I match them with a dark green ostrich skin dress belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads