• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SYCSYC

Reaction score
Haven't post here in ages ...

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well now, drinking for diplomacy is different. I've had some interesting times on too much Rakia. Ouzo can go pound salt.

I was in charge of a unit in Sarajevo adjacent to ISAF HQ in 2001. We were in a "village" with all the other NATO folks including some non-NATO nations like Ireland, Sweden, Finland, Romania and Bulgaria. Anyway, with over a dozen nations represented there was always a farewell/arrival party every weekend or so. Everyone was obligated to show up with their national liquor. Jack Daniels, Ouzo, Rakia, Aquavit, Vodka, Grappa, Schnapps, etc. It got pretty rowdy as you might imagine.

The Scandinavians were merciless. I thought the Brits and Germans were could hold their own but the Finns, Swedes, Danes and Norwegians drank us all under the table. They even beat the Romanians who made their own hooch and would give you a small Romanian flag if you still had your eyesight after drinking two shots.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From sometime last week and from yesterday

img_3128-jpg.832377

(sleeves need to be shortened)

img_3182-jpg.832491

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well now, drinking for diplomacy is different. I've had some interesting times on too much Rakia. Ouzo can go pound salt.
I developed a liking for Aquavit even though I'm a brown spirits guys. Pairs well with smoked salmon hors d'oeuvres and inebriated Scandinavians.

It was fun watching the Greeks and Turks proudly extol their own stuff and slander the others. Turks are pretty cool but very prickly, at least their officers anyway.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in charge of a unit in Sarajevo adjacent to ISAF HQ in 2001. We were in a "village" with all the other NATO folks including some non-NATO nations like Ireland, Sweden, Finland, Romania and Bulgaria. Anyway, with over a dozen nations represented there was always a farewell/arrival party every weekend or so. Everyone was obligated to show up with their national liquor. Jack Daniels, Ouzo, Rakia, Aquavit, Vodka, Grappa, Schnapps, etc. It got pretty rowdy as you might imagine.

The Scandinavians were merciless. I thought the Brits and Germans were could hold their own but the Finns, Swedes, Danes and Norwegians drank us all under the table. They even beat the Romanians who made their own hooch and would give you a small Romanian flag if you still had your eyesight after drinking two shots.

I've been drunk in the name of diplomacy too. But, as was noticed earlier in the thread, there is only one people that can beat us Nordics in drinking and that's the russians. I've been to russian dinners where vodka was the only beverage served. After a while you feel all your senses leaving you. Sight, hearing, smell, not to mention the sense of decency. They play in a different league. Drinking is not a social thing, it's a commitment.

Of course these are only generalisations based on my limited experience. Dont know if we have any russians on SF that wants to weigh in?

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG

Jacket: Caruso
Shirt: Inglese
Tie: Charvet
PS: Vanda
Pants: Berg & Berg
Shoes: Lobb

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been drunk in the name of diplomacy too. But, as was noticed earlier in the thread, there is only one people that can beat us Nordics in drinking and that's the russians. I've been to russian dinners where vodka was the only beverage served. After a while you feel all your senses leaving you. Sight, hearing, smell, not to mention the sense of decency. They play in a different league. Drinking is not a social thing, it's a commitment.

Of course these are only generalisations based on my limited experience. Dont know if we have any russians on SF that wants to weigh in?
As a former military guy my professional interactions with Russians are nonexistent. We were always advised that, if encountered, never drink with them.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you just got a prickly group. I'd hate for the world to judge all Americans on the behavior of Cavalry officers. :stirpot:
Cavs dudes are slightly weird in any environment. Stupid hats and spurs... I served under 1st Cav in Baghdad (10th Mountain brigade under their command). Great Americans but silly desert Cav boots right out of Gucci catalog. :lol:

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with drinking for diplomacy but I wholly attribute my drinking abilities to being made up of three ethnic groups who are known to put alcohol away, the Irish, the Russian, and the Palestinian. I know homemade vodka and Arak very well. Arak is essentially another version of Raki with similar herbal properties and generally no less than 110 proof, at least not what we drink.

Needless to say I am expensive date if I decide I want to get my drink on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads