• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Midweek, and a grey day outside - time for a grey suit, perhaps.

Suit - BB
Shirt - BB MTM
Tie - Andrew's Ties
PS - PRL
Cufflinks - Harrods, Heathrow Terminal 3
Shoes - Stefano Branchini
Topcoat - BB
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center
Scarf - Paul Stuart

jlongmor

Reaction score
Some great outfits over the last few days. Rainy morning here.

Suit: Spier & Mackay
Shirt & Tie: BB

Last edited:

Luger

Reaction score

My wife and I at the Charity Preview for the Detroit Auto Show.  We were decked out in velvet.

A velvet dinner jacket with a tie ?

Today : My favourite bespoke coat , ideal for the polar cold wave of this week. It's a ceremony coat of the French Gendarmerie Nationale (french military police). Tailored by an old master tailor (Maître Tailleur in French) , mister J.M. Barronnier as you can see on the tag. See the details : the Grenade on all the buttons of the coat including the half-belt at the back and on the rank markings of the collar, symbol of the Grenadiers Regiment. Ideal to complete the look as I wear a navy gold buttons blazer.

Shantung in winter :slayer:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, red velvet that matched my wife's dress.  Let me guess, there is some "style" rule out there that says you can not wear a velvet dinner jacket with a tie?

Welcome to Styleforum, where strongly held opinions are quite common.

In the context of the other accessories with which you wore the velvet jacket (grey flannel trousers and a plain white shirt), a four-in-hand tie isn't that out of place. Had you been wearing a tuxedo shirt and trousers, I would have found the four-in-hand tie more out of place, but that is my personal preference. Velvet jackets get dressed up and down a good deal - you took a somewhat more casual approach - nothing wrong with that. Chacun a son gout.

Luger

Reaction score

Welcome to Styleforum, where strongly held opinions are quite common.

In the context of the other accessories with which you wore the velvet jacket (grey flannel trousers and a plain white shirt), a four-in-hand tie isn't that out of place. Had you been wearing a tuxedo shirt and trousers, I would have found the four-in-hand tie more out of place, but that is my personal preference. Velvet jackets get dressed up and down a good deal - you took a somewhat more casual approach - nothing wrong with that. Chacun a son gout.

It's not a "strongly held opinion", I was just surprised.:) (Btw it's "Chacun ses goûts".)

Deo Veritas

Reaction score
Early days of my iGentry and WAYWRN. Messy PS and no tie dimple. Love the inspirational looks in this thread! Keep it up!
Looking forward to contributing more looks.

I enjoy coordinating the bottom end of: trousers, socks, and shoes. Rather than the upper torso.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Early days of my iGentry and WAYWRN. Messy PS and no tie dimple. Love the inspirational looks in this thread! Keep it up! Looking forward to contributing more looks. I enjoy coordinating the bottom end of: trousers, socks, and shoes. Rather than the upper torso.
It's always fun (and perhaps cringe-inducing in some of our cases) to look back at old outfits. Though your picture is from a while ago, a couple of uncontroversial but potentially enlightening comments for those who still lurk this thread in hopes of learning something (if I recall, there was some discussion this thread no longer offering constructive criticism): * Even if you had dimpled the tie, that knot is too big for the width of the blade. A skinny tie should be capable of making a skinny, smallish knot. * The pattern AND the scale of the pocket square are both too similar to those of the (very nice) jacket. I am sure exceptions exist, but generally both the scale and pattern of the square should be distinct from those of the jacket. ---
SFF: Sam Hober

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Totally overdressed on this warm day. 55 and warm in mid-January!

Sport Coat; Richard James
Tie: Isaia
Shirt: Mattabisch
Pants: Zegna
Shoes: Allen Edmonds Liverpool in black (first wear for these. Purchased from AE's annual "seconds" sale. One minor scuff that will disappear after few polishes)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads