• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I find many of the old Ralph Lauren shots very unflattering.  The wide shoulders make the size of the head look weird.  Feelings?   

I think it's the other way round. Ralph Lauren (the man) has a rather disproportionately big head on a quite slim, petite body.

In my opinion, the padded shoulders (he presumably has rather narrow shoulders) aim to make the body look more in proportion to the head.
Otherwise he might look like a prune on a toothpick.

Last edited:

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A close up of the bottle of Chronic Cellars Grand Cuvee Spritz And Giggles.......

......which was defective as there were no giggles in the bottle I bought.

(Yes, I went through the entire bottle to make sure there were no giggles in it.)

For fans of wine reviews (by what appears to be a witch).......

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santoni boots
Borrelli jeans
Finamore shirt
Cesare Attolini cashmere bomber jacket

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Canali suit, Nordstrom shirt, Brooks Brothers tie... oh, and letting my true self out
1f605.png

Happy Halloween
1f34a.png

Last edited:

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
I do love the 1930s and 1940s, but I seldom wear the period accurate pieces. Instead I opt for a modern interpretation of the style! Here are a few outfits from the weekend. None have any true vintage 1930's pieces apart from the tie.

Thrifted jacket, custom shirt, BR chinos, 1930's tie.

Modern Southwick Suit, custom shirt, 1930's tie.

Thrifted suit jacket, Banana Republic Trousers, Custom shirt, 1930''s tie

I actually wrote a guide to my style on my blog! I understand many people have misconceptions about vintage and vintage style, and I want to point out that you can still dress like it today without buying a wide legged, 1940's suit. You don't have to buy a fedora or wear clip on suspenders.

It's not something ultra modern like the guys you see at Pitti Uomo, but it also isn't a straight period-accurate costume. I've been told by my peers that is like "a man from 1938 or a Lawrence Fellows illustration came to 2016". Give it a read and let me know what you think!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My colleague and me in formal day wear enjoying a glass of superb cognac :D
Was there an actual occasion, or you just wanted to let your formal wear out for a day?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads