• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little brother, I know it's only been a day, but there has been no progress. Not good!

No one is asking you to post anything obscene.

There are many full-body posts here. Just scroll up to see the fantastic pics from that gentleman from Southern Germany, all dashing in his grey chalkstripes! Or the pics of the gent in the cardigan and coat.

But what of your shoes? What about your pants? And belt? Or was it braces?

You must have looked quite the litte cherub at Christmas Mass -- all suited up with that candy-cane pocket handkerchief -- your sweet voice rising on high...
"Hark the Herald, Angels Sing!
Glory to the New-born King!"
The whole annoy until acquiescence approach is very sex offender chic. Not for me, but doubtless it works a treat with the lassies at the local pub. What jiggles your jollies, I s'pose.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_5719.jpeg
IMG_5724.jpeg
IMG_5731.jpeg
IMG_5733.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would someone be willing to give a critique (if any) on this look? I was basing it off of this outfit I saw
View attachment 2099277

Basically the same except:
* No belt cause suspenders and vest
* Regular sport coat instead of overcoat cause inside
* Green tie cause happy holidays
* OCBD instead of dress shirt because it's a more casual look for a more casual event

If I had to nitpick or what feels off about my look is (and maybe it really is just a bad photo with bad lighting and angles):

* I might need much fuller, much wider leg pants. If you can see (yes I know the picture is not well lit) the pants compared to the SC it looks very top-heavy. I'm a 56/46 jacket and a 33 waist which is a pretty severe drop. I tried wearing 36 pants to accommodate the thighs and suspenders on a Bill's Khakis wool pant, and Bill's are generally known for generous room. Still, maybe it's the photo angle but it looks very top-heavy still. Even with an unstructured italian SC it still looks... off?
* Maybe the OCBD was the wrong move. The collar is unlined and looks a bit too casual under that SC. Also the collar height is kind of low, especially when worn with a tie, and it looks like the SC is eating the shirt, plus I have a really long neck which isn't helping with this shirt. I think this shirt shows me I need to keep it for casual occasions only even if I'm going for an ivy look. And I need shirts with much taller collars (any suggestions)?
* Is this sleeveless cardigan cut weird? It looks like the button stance is too high and should be a few inches lower...
1. How wide (at the hem) are the trews? Lighting might be deceiving, but they do look quite slim, and with your drop you'd definitely want wider (I'd think 8.5" minimum at the hem) trousers.
2. Agree re: shirt collar, but no reason to avoid the OCBD, I don't think. Might just be finding one with a taller band. Proper Cloth does a pretty beefy one. For that shirt, I'd nix the tie.
3. For the cardigan...maybe pop a button (or two) from the top? Going to look a touch odd, but no way around that unless you find a lower cardy.

At your drop, you're always going to run a bit top heavy unless you sport some seriously wide trousers, which, more power to you if you do...but it's a very distinct look, for good or bad.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This suit will not see 2025, at least in my closet. A good deal too small at this point. That "roping" is entirely due to deltoids protruding a good deal further than the jacket's actual shoulder line.

Still, do love it. Would be nice to have a covert suit or two made up...
IMG_7545.jpg

acconrad

Reaction score
1. How wide (at the hem) are the trews? Lighting might be deceiving, but they do look quite slim, and with your drop you'd definitely want wider (I'd think 8.5" minimum at the hem) trousers.
2. Agree re: shirt collar, but no reason to avoid the OCBD, I don't think. Might just be finding one with a taller band. Proper Cloth does a pretty beefy one. For that shirt, I'd nix the tie.
3. For the cardigan...maybe pop a button (or two) from the top? Going to look a touch odd, but no way around that unless you find a lower cardy.

At your drop, you're always going to run a bit top heavy unless you sport some seriously wide trousers, which, more power to you if you do...but it's a very distinct look, for good or bad.
1. 8" - yeah it could be the lighting and angle (pointed down towards me is only going to accentuate the V drop)
2. Yeah I think OCBD is fine, but it needs a lined collar (that's why I asked about Dapper's shirt).
3. Yeah might just need a deeper V, lower button stance cardigan...

Thanks! This is helpful

CLH03

Reaction score
This suit will not see 2025, at least in my closet. A good deal too small at this point. That "roping" is entirely due to deltoids protruding a good deal further than the jacket's actual shoulder line.

Still, do love it. Would be nice to have a covert suit or two made up...
View attachment 2099907
What’s the weight? I’ve been mulling over a covert suit but I’m not sure how often I would wear a 430 gsm suit…

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Christmas Eve Turkey Dinner and me (doing my impression of One Pint Willy) at Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica CA.

View attachment 2097919

On the plus side, there were (finally) no Brussels sprouts. On the negative side the Brussels sprouts were replaced with broccoli. The only place broccoli belongs is in the credits of James Bond films.

Here's a picture from Christmas Eve 2018 in which some Brussels sprouts show.

View attachment 2097923

After eating walked past a shop that had a pink Christmas Tree in it. Went in and asked the lady who was working there to take my picture standing next to the pink Christmas Tree.

View attachment 2097927

Dunn & Co Harris Tweed jacket, Stafford OCBD shirt, Brooks Brothers British-American Chamber Of Commerce Christmas tie and vest, J Crew corduroy trousers, and Allen-Edmonds saddle shoes.
How do you stay so trim eating such gargantuan meals?
If I recall correctly, Dunn sport coats were very popular in the
'70s and 80s by Yanks who traveled to England. I found them stiff
and lacking the requisite natural shoulders. Yours looks good,
however.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you stay so trim eating such gargantuan meals?
If I recall correctly, Dunn sport coats were very popular in the
'70s and 80s by Yanks who traveled to England. I found them stiff
and lacking the requisite natural shoulders. Yours looks good,
however.
Thank you.

I have worn the same size since I stopped growing. This may be since, like most people until fairly recently, I tend to walk to most places.

My jacket has the Board Of Trade Harris Tweed label. It's very heavy and rather stiff. It's the ideal thing to wear in the bleak midwinter.

IMG_6707.jpeg

The Board Of Trade Regulations Harris Tweed labels always remind me of these lines in the film, "A Night To Remember".

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the weight? I’ve been mulling over a covert suit but I’m not sure how often I would wear a 430 gsm suit…
Exactly that, or close enough (maybe 440?). FWIW, I've enjoyed it. It's definitely heavy, relative to most (non-insane bespoke type fabrics) stuff you'll see nowadays, but I think it wears cooler than a woolen flannel...and obviously a good deal more wrinkle resistant.

But, as with most things, largely a matter of preference. I prefer the covert/cav twill to flannels. Other obviously do not.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC today is sunny and mild, with highs expected to be about 55F/13C this afternoon. As it is, I'm playing impromptu host to a friend over from the UK this afternoon, and, in anticipation of a more formal New Year's Eve rig, I've opted for a sports jacket/odd trouser combination for today.

Sports jacket & trousers - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Hackett
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart, model name Hawthorne
Cap - Stetson, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2225.JPG
IMG_2226.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG
IMG_2228.JPG

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC today is sunny and mild, with highs expected to be about 55F/13C this afternoon. As it is, I'm playing impromptu host to a friend over from the UK this afternoon, and, in anticipation of a more formal New Year's Eve rig, I've opted for a sports jacket/odd trouser combination for today.

Sports jacket & trousers - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Hackett
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart, model name Hawthorne
Cap - Stetson, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

View attachment 2100123

Lovely, this is right my taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads