• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poszetka

Reaction score
Winter Blazer.

IMG_8661 2 kopia.jpg

IMG_8689 kopia.jpg

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Reaction score
This suit will not see 2025, at least in my closet. A good deal too small at this point. That "roping" is entirely due to deltoids protruding a good deal further than the jacket's actual shoulder line.

Still, do love it. Would be nice to have a covert suit or two made up...
View attachment 2099907

Final (neck)tie of 2023...
View attachment 2100357

Alright... Ericgereghty.

Now, the first one. I see there has been some progress. Good job! You have included more chin and also a shoulder!
But then the second one, we seem to have regressed. :(

One must see the fit in its entirely, if one's to offer constructive criticism of the aesthetic you are going for, and if it works. A tie on its own is meaningless. It's like a listing on a Macy's website. 68 likes from satisfied customers, but nothing like seeing the tie on a model, or even better, a guy on the street, to make me want to cop it.

Now, you've mentioned delts already -- I take it you are into fitness. Indeed you come across as someone blessed with a very fit neck! What about the rest of you? Roping in on a jacket sleeve can be quite becoming, assuming it's double-breasted, very slim cut with broad shoulders, and medium fit pants, neither slim nor loose. I can see nothing of your suit! I could see more in a Zoom call!
Again, I implore you not to loose the big picture, progression comes one step at a time. Next step-- more shoulders, and maybe more chest. This way we can see what the jacket actually fits like.

I'm proud of you - there has been progess, don't give up!

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll bite, though shan't quite acquiesce.

Let me disabuse you of the notion that I care for your criticism, constructive or otherwise. I don't. At all.

I don't know what aesthetic I'm going for, nor do I care. I like what I like. I wear what I like. That you might find it coherent/desirable/what have you (or not) is of no consequence whatsoever.

By all means, if you want to continue incessantly making the same request, knowing full well it's not going to be accommodated, well...as mentioned, whatever jiggles your jollies :bigstar:

If you put those little fingies to work and peruse the thread, you'll no doubt concur, given how, let's be generous, quirky my full body fits can be.

Also, hate to disappoint, but I was actually the stuntman for Mike here...

oB9VJA.gif

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bite, though shan't quite acquiesce.

Let me disabuse you of the notion that I care for your criticism, constructive or otherwise. I don't. At all.

I don't know what aesthetic I'm going for, nor do I care. I like what I like. I wear what I like. That you might find it coherent/desirable/what have you (or not) is of no consequence whatsoever.

By all means, if you want to continue incessantly making the same request, knowing full well it's not going to be accommodated, well...as mentioned, whatever jiggles your jollies :bigstar:

If you put those little fingies to work and peruse the thread, you'll no doubt concur, given how, let's be generous, quirky my full body fits can be.

Also, hate to disappoint, but I was actually the stuntman for Mike here...

oB9VJA.gif
You have a lot of patience. Those posts are really weird.

partenopean

Reaction score
Could be an account hacked by an AI bot.

Pretty sure there are AI bots here in this thread that thumb everything...the good, the bad, the unsightly hideous....

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it all (special shout out to the lovely jacket and the cordovan shoes), but...I do feel the tie looks a bit skinny for this ensemble. For nice wide lapels like this I try to pair with a wider/thicker tie and a bigger knot. For me, that provides better balance.

(Perhaps more like @Poszetka directly above.)
I would agree. I have a wider brown knit but I felt it didn’t quite fit from a texture perspective. The shade was also a bit brighter than I would have wanted for this cloudy and cold winters day.

That begs the question is size balance more important than color and texture in a case like this? Most of these knits don't go past 2.5 or 3 inches wide.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it all (special shout out to the lovely jacket and the cordovan shoes), but...I do feel the tie looks a bit skinny for this ensemble. For nice wide lapels like this I try to pair with a wider/thicker tie and a bigger knot. For me, that provides better balance.

(Perhaps more like @Poszetka directly above.)

Exactly my feeling. It's discouraging how hard it's become to find a tie of right sizing nowadays, at least here in Germany.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads