• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ this is nice!

Thanks!!
smile.gif

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Very nice ****, tie, jacket combo Conrad. Nice to see braces again although I'm not sure how much I like those with the rest of the colors your wearing.

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very nice ****, tie, jacket combo Conrad. Nice to see braces again although I'm not sure how much I like those with the rest of the colors your wearing.

Thanks man. Yeah, I think a brown + wider braces would have looked better

Spurious

Reaction score
Crat, digging it, the shirt fabric looks awesome, what is it? Chambray, I assume.

Last edited:

Ebonyman

Reaction score
Not that this matters to anyone but me but the poster that I couldn't recall before was "Phat Guido". Guy had a real nice sense of style and everything fit perfectly! Haven't seen a post from him in ages.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently he changed jobs a couple of years back and doesn't really wear suits anymore.

Ebonyman

Reaction score

Apparently he changed jobs a couple of years back and doesn't really wear suits anymore.

^^^^ Thanks. Even his casual fits were quite nice. Fortunately there are still plenty of guys on here to learn from and emulate.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Did you deliberately tie your tie like that? If so, do you really think it looks better than the 'proper' way, i.e. with the thin blade hidden behind the front blade? Interesting that Phat Guido's name came up in a recent post too. He had a range of excellent looking suits, almost always in dark blue or light navy shades but often with some sort of textural interest, or windowpane, etc. and they were usually cut to fit him very well. Unfortunately he also had a habit of frequently buggering up the look with gimmicks like poorly tied ties, wrist trash, sweaters tied around shoulders over suit etc. - all things which I frequently say don't add interest, they drag a look down due to a theme of desperation for attention. Good looking outfits should speak for themselves without needing such gimmicks. Timotune is a more recent example who I have given a lot of **** for in the past but he seems to have mostly dropped those gimmicks and as a result is one of my favourite posters these days. I will mention once again Brunello Cuccinelli admitting in an interview that he has to tie and re- tie his tie several times each morning to get the right look of 'studied nonchalance' which is of course an oxymoron attempted by morons. Just do it properly FFS and get on with it. If your jacket fits perfectly a sloppy tie isn't going to improve your look, and if your jacket fits poorly a sloppy tie is just going to make you look even more like a schlub. *steps down off soap box*

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
Did you deliberately tie your tie like that?
If so, do you really think it looks better than the 'proper' way, i.e. with the thin blade hidden behind the front blade?

Interesting that Phat Guido's name came up in a recent post too. He had a range of excellent looking suits, almost always in dark blue or light navy shades but often with some sort of textural interest, or windowpane, etc. and they were usually cut to fit him very well.

Unfortunately he also had a habit of frequently buggering up the look with gimmicks like poorly tied ties, wrist trash, sweaters tied around shoulders over suit etc. - all things which I frequently say don't add interest, they drag a look down due to a theme of desperation for attention. Good looking outfits should speak for themselves without needing such gimmicks. Timotune is a more recent example who I have given a lot of **** for in the past but he seems to have mostly dropped those gimmicks and as a result is one of my favourite posters these days.

I will mention once again Brunello Cuccinelli admitting in an interview that he has to tie and re- tie his tie several times each morning to get the right look of 'studied nonchalance' which is of course an oxymoron attempted by morons. Just do it properly FFS and get on with it. If your jacket fits perfectly a sloppy tie isn't going to improve your look, and if your jacket fits poorly a sloppy tie is just going to make you look even more like a schlub.

*steps down off soap box*

No and yes

I never liked the look of a perfectly symmetrical or "proper" tie. Don't believe I've used the keeper in years... it's more or less a personal thing.

Dressing with elegance in mind and use of colors are what's most important for me. A bit of imperfection can add character to an outfit as long as it doesn't cry for attention.

Jake from The Armoury is a good example of "studied nonchalance". Absolutely love his fits. That boy is on a different level compared to the abomination that is #sprezzatura and modern #menswear

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads