• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butler

Reaction score
X-post from Challenge:

Steven Hitchcock SB, Harrison Saltire Cashmere windowpane & Ambrosi trousers in Minnis 300 flannel. Rubinacci tie, John Lobb St James's nubuck :bigstar:

c43o.jpg

fkhj.jpg

8nlc.jpg

Perfection! The view from the backside is what every coat ought to look as it shows proper length, neat back, and clean shoulders. "Fremragende" job of tailoring.

Thanks very much - your use of my language impressed me! I hope you heard the expression from the audience, when you toured Denmark last year :D

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice spoo. A great sence of taste and dares to try something new. Looks like you are on vacation and the outfit is perfect for that reason aswell.

Not many can pull it off, you can. Once you get haters then you know you made it.

Bravo!

Last edited:

Butler

Reaction score
X-post from Challenge:

Steven Hitchcock SB, Harrison Saltire Cashmere windowpane & Ambrosi trousers in Minnis 300 flannel. Turnbull & Asser shirt with detached collar from Budd, Rubinacci tie, John Lobb St James's nubuck :bigstar::

c43o.jpg

fkhj.jpg

8nlc.jpg

Very well tailored, as expected. I must ask though, why the gauntlet/turn-back cuffs? Is there a certain connotation to them, a functionality, an historical reason, or is it purely a stylistic choice on your part?

:bigstar:

Well there is lots of historic precedence - in my case comes from military family background

Tomboys

Reaction score

Jacket is too small in the chest / shoulders. Go a size up and have it taken in a little.

Hmm. Maybe. But, I'd say overall, it looks pretty damn good to me. He's pretty robust in the chest and upper arm area, so going up a size may not look that much better, but it could absolutely trash the current balance that he has without extensive (and very expensive) tailoring.

The only thing I would suggest is (slightly) tapering the bottoms of his pants. They seem too full and it's adding unwanted girth.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This thread is a public discussion, which means that both those who post their fits and those who make comments are doing so for a wider audience than just themselves or one other person. And, BTW, it's because Spoo so often nails it, that it's worth pointing out when he doesn't. Otherwise we just end up with a a series of fawning, inane, back-slapping comments which have no value in helping anyone dress better. And that is the point, isn't it?

Of course, there are some fits you just can't say anything exept 'wow' to - like Butler's last fit.

Hey all - popping back in.

Was the fit in question textbook accurate? no. Do I really care though? Not really. It was 100 degrees and I liked it. I could care less what the "rules" say. The white shirt was to businessy yes but it was the only one I brought with me on the trip. Also, if you look at the pictures again, the pants were essentially the same color as the jacket. Look at the closeup shot of the shoes - they are white, not ivory. The full length picture they look more yellow.

Again, I really dont care because I felt great in it, my wife and company loved it, and it was the perfect outfit to sip waterfront cocktails to. So :p to the rulebook. LOL

Also Ebonyman, thanks for the nice words and nice pics. I am envious of your goatee :lol:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to say that over the last few months I have changed to this point of view. ^^^

When I first started out I was very concerned about the rules and doing things right. Now? Much less so. I still like the rules, if for no other reason than I have been attempting to master them for so long. However I now feel like it's just fine to break them... well... whenever the hell you feel like it. Oh, and as long as it looks good when you do it.
fing02[1].gif

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all - popping back in.

Was the fit in question textbook accurate? no. Do I really care though? Not really. It was 100 degrees and I liked it. I could care less what the "rules" say. The white shirt was to businessy yes but it was the only one I brought with me on the trip. Also, if you look at the pictures again, the pants were essentially the same color as the jacket. Look at the closeup shot of the shoes - they are white, not ivory. The full length picture they look more yellow.

Again, I really dont care because I felt great in it, my wife and company loved it, and it was the perfect outfit to sip waterfront cocktails to. So
tongue.gif
to the rulebook. LOL

That's all good. But I think you're mistaking me for someone else if you think I'm all about the textbook or the rules. What I'm all about is aesthetics, probably not that much differently to you. And that fit didn't seem to work at all for me at all, and most of yours do. I'm perfectly happy to accept the photos misrepresent the colours though. I have a blazer in cream with green and gold stripes so I'm certainly not against either the colour or crazy jackets in general - completely the contrary - you have seen my recent fabric purchases, haven't you?

Anyway, I'm glad you're having a good time.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to say that over the last few months I have changed to this point of view. ^^^

When I first started out I was very concerned about the rules and doing things right. Now? Much less so. I still like the rules, if for no other reason than I have been attempting to master them for so long. However I now feel like it's just fine to break them... well... whenever the hell you feel like it. Oh, and as long as it looks good when you do it. 

This has always been my view, and what I personally have/had in mind when I say/said "zero effs given". This is my hobby, and I intend to have fun with it, whether you approve or not.
The one thing I have learned is this: when I choose to break the rules, I no longer post here. Don't get me wrong, many others do, and do so to great success -- TTO and Tril, and Spoo esp in his early days, all of whom are inspiration to me, and, to be clear, none of whom I am comparing myself to. But I generally choose not to post my riskier fits here anymore. This is not intended to be snarky nor am I bitter; its simply a question of knowing one's audience.
OTOH, how much less interesting would this thread be (and is already for loss of folks like Victor) if everyone took the same view? It would converge on two memes: blue suit, white shirt, brown tie or gray suit, white shirt, blue tie. Nice, yes, but pretty devoid of thought or inspiration. Hopefully not.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo knows the "rules" well enough to break them consciously and to good effect.

Rule-breaking is fine, the problem is when you don't even know there are "rules" to begin with and you end up looking a hot mess without any clue as to why. Learn the rules, understand the rules, internalize the rules, then break them in a way that makes sense. Crawl, walk, run.

Personally, I didn't like Spoo's fit, but I know it was deliberate and that the man knows, more than I, what he is doing. So more power to him.

Ebonyman

Reaction score

The trousers, tie, and pattern on the jacket are all the same tone. That's pretty monotone in my book.

Various shades of grey, different patterns and expertly blended textures along with impeccable fit..... I don't see anything not to love. If this is a miss, the rest of us are doomed!

Spoo, the goatee is all I have left so I'm going to try to wear it well...LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads