• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Mafoofan Help Himself

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
You're ahead of me. I started P90X today. I only made it halfway through the workout. After the first 12 exercises I couldn't continue with the next 12. It wasn't due to fatigue or not being able to do the pushups/chin ups. I just got a huge headache. It's happened before when doing pushups/chin ups, but not with lifting weights, cardio, playing sports, etc. I think I'm just not breathing correctly and it eventually catches up to me and causes a ridiculous headache. When I get back to chest/shoulders, I'm going to have to really focus on proper breathing to make it through the whole workout without getting the headaches.

Are you well hydrated when doing these exercises?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Are you well hydrated when doing these exercises?

Yeah. I drink more water throughout the day than anyone else I know. I'm pretty convinced it has to do with improper breathing from doing some research and noticing that I tend to hold my breath for long periods when performing these exercises. When I've focused on it before, it's been better.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't want to read through entire Foo length thread, and don't even know if Foo is even monitoring it anymore, but has any one recommended bicycling?

This is what I took up to combat my sluggishness. I live close to the beach (no, not that close, more like I am in LA and I can take the freeway to the beach in 20 minutes everyday), so I ride my bike and work out at monkey bars that are dotted up and down bike trails.

Cycling is fun, it burns calories while you sit on your ass, and it is relatively cheap and easy to start (provided you know how to ride a bike, which everyone does!). You can always jump off the bike and do some pushups and sit ups to take things up a notch. You don't have to join a gym. You can ride solo or ride with someone. Carry some protein bars and water and ride 40 miles without realizing you just did (until the next day if you aren't used to it)

Only advice would be if one does get into cycling invest in at least a decent ergonomic bike saddle, so you won't kill your testicles. Once you really get into cycling or if you just want to start right, just get a decent bike.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on biking.

Gotta be careful about asshole drivers though.

I DID have a roommate in college who did not know how to ride a bike.
facepalm.gif
He was 18 and from Hawaii.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Did the first DVD this morning, for chest/shoulders. Clearly I am going to need to spend a couple weeks acclimating before starting the program in earnest. I haven't gotten the chin-up bar yet, or the bands, so I could only do the push-ups. I was able to do roughly half of the number of push-ups per rep compared to the people on-screen.

Foo,

I'm also currently on the p90x as well (into my third week). There is some amount of base fitness required but it is not huge. I don't think you should feel bad about yourself either -- I came into it quite fit and could not keep up with the people on screen at all.

If you feel the need to build a base of fitness, doing a variety of resistance exercises alongside some cardio 5 days a week is a good start. I find rotating body parts on a per-day basis works well if you're pressed for time, and 25 minutes of weights and 25 minutes of cardio is quite adequate to start. The important thing is to record what you do each time and ensure that you're really pushing yourself and improving.

It is important not to overcomplicate your diet as an overly restrictive diet might be hard to keep to. A simple regime of cutting high glycemic index carbs, increasing protein, and avoiding too much fat works well, and you can adjust your caloric intake based upon your fitness goals. The important thing is to have a plan simple enough to stick to and then to stick to it.

All the best.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Of course not, given that

1) The program is not conducive to my goals (which are different than the goals mentioned in the OP)
2) I have a fairly consistent schedule, unlike the OP, that affords me the time to go to a gym

Right. So how about you stick to talking about what you know instead of bashing a program that you haven't tried.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Did the first DVD this morning, for chest/shoulders. Clearly I am going to need to spend a couple weeks acclimating before starting the program in earnest. I haven't gotten the chin-up bar yet, or the bands, so I could only do the push-ups. I was able to do roughly half of the number of push-ups per rep compared to the people on-screen.
foo.gif
Update please.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Right. So how about you stick to talking about what you know instead of bashing a program that you haven't tried.

Yes, because it's impossible to evaluate the potential effectiveness of a program without doing it for 60 days
eh.gif

I haven't heard anyone whose opinion I would respect recommend a program like p90x, unless the person (much like the OP) was in some sort of predicament that prevented them from pursuing better options, resulting in something like p90x being better than nothing.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Foo has the space take the money that one nice jacket costs

Squat rack,bench and Olympic weight set
A half decent excercise bike.

Three days of the week do a full body work out. Something like

Deadlift
squat
bent over row
military press
bench press

1x10 for each

Should take less then 45 minutes

For two days do HIIT on the bike. Should take 25 or less minutes total including warm up and cool down

Already mentioned get on top of your diet or you're wasting time.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
mafoofan best thing you can do for yourself as starters is to just go out for a walk/jog every nite (or morning) be committed to do it 5 times a week for at least half hour.
for your diminutive stature (not saying facetiously) thatll prove more for vascularity and definition, moreso than any weight lifting program. (and for health too).

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Yes, because it's impossible to evaluate the potential effectiveness of a program without doing it for 60 days
eh.gif

I haven't heard anyone whose opinion I would respect recommend a program like p90x, unless the person (much like the OP) was in some sort of predicament that prevented them from pursuing better options, resulting in something like p90x being better than nothing.

But that's the point. Everyone who is recommending he join a gym, etc is ignoring the fact that he has a **** schedule and wants something he can do quickly at his own convenience - hence the P90X or other BeachBody program recommendations.

Without having done the program, it's hard to understand what a good workout it is.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to recommend trying to lay off the chocolate covered peanuts first.
wink.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I too am now thinking about P90x.
blush.gif

LOL.... Save your money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads