• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with bespoke wedding suit

obliv

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm getting a suit made for my wedding and I'm having a hard time making some decisions. The suit won't be real bespoke, more like in between MTM and bespoke. I'll be going to the tailor tomorrow and I was hoping you'd be able to help with some of my analysis paralysis.

It will be a Sunday morning brunch wedding at a garden in Spring/Summer, kind of laid back/in the causal side. So it can be warm and humid, say at least ~80F. For more context, where I live it's usually hot for 6 to 9 months of the year.

- Fabric. I'm currently leaning towards a very light grey, with 270 gr. Tropical Wool fabric from Ariston, but have been also considering lighter blues like light slate/chambray. This will probably be my main suit since my city is fairly casual, so I've been going back and forth between this and a darker color. I just don't think I want navy for a spring morning garden wedding, since the colors and vibe will be happy/flowery. Am I making a mistake here?

- Lining. Since it will be hot, I was thinking maybe doing half insted of full lining. Any issues with this? There are a ton of styles/colors to choose from for the lining, any no-no I should keep in mind?

- Style. I'm interested in a three-piece but I'm worried about running too hot, what are people's thoughts on this? Also, I think I'm leaning towards single-breasted, peak lapel to make it just a little more interesting without going full DB, etc.

Anything else I should keep in mind or pay attention to? There is an overwhelming number of decisions to make like buttons, pockets, belt loops, etc. so I'm getting paranoid about getting it wrong.

Thanks so much!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will you continue to wear the suit as part of your wardrobe after the wedding?

Are your styling details part of how you currently dress?

Have you considered making a linen suit?

You say this will be your main suit. If so, you want it to be practical and useful for a variety of situations where a suit would be worn.
Made several “unique“ wedding suits that never get worn again because they were designed to be a one off. Maybe it’s the cloth choice or style or sometimes both.

You may be overthinking this and trying to project something onto the suit you may not like long term.

Last edited:

obliv

Reaction score
Oh I'm definitely overthinking, that's why I need some help.

I'm usually put together but never wear suits. Most of the events I go to I can get by with nice pants and a well-fitted shirt since 1) a lot of people here are wearing ill-fitting suits so I look better even if I'm dressed down, and 2) I'm in a hot and casual environment so it's usually not needed.

I absolutely love linen and wear linen shirts almost daily. I have thought about getting a linen suit but I don't really want to look all wrinkled on my wedding (I'm getting linen shirts for days before/after). For any other ocassion I'd probably be all over it.

I definitely want something timeless and re-wearable but also somewhat 'fun' and a good match for the wedding. I don't need anything particularly unique or to stand out necessarily. I just don't know much about fabrics, lining, colors, etc. when it comes to suits. So it's hard for me to find a balance. That's why I was thinking something like very light grey, with SB and so on.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium gray tropical worsted, half lined, possibly three piece
for formality, although hot to wear. Patternless or discrete pattern.
Should work for your wedding and into the future.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good advice

Skip the 3 piece suit unless you are certain taht you will wear it in the future...

obliv

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I think you've conviced me. I would have liked to do a lighter color but it's just going to be less versatile as a first suit. I'm now leaning towards medium grey or a sligthly lighter/brighter navy, I've seen some online that look nice. 2 piece, half lined, tropical wool. Hopefully I'll find a fabric and potentially a pattern that I like.

I'll be able to add pops of color with the accessories I guess. That'll be fun but challenging as well ha Will circle back for more advice once I've chosen the suit. Thanks again

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to chime in, if this will be your only suit and its going to be a costly bespoke/mtm order, then I would personally shoot for something a bit more versatile then light blue or chambray.

I think a light-to-mid grey would work well in a summer garden wedding and at almost all other occasions that require a suit. I've included a couple of inspiration pics below

It doesn't necessarily hurt to get a 3-piece, since you can always opt to not wear the vest, but I would imagine it would be very hot at an outdoor summer wedding and negate any benefit of half lining. Personally, I just don't like the look of single breasted peak lapels on anything but a tuxedo...if you want to stand out a bit, have you thought about a classic double breasted peak lapel?

Alan from The Armoury in a light grey suit
Alan light grey.JPG

Daniel from The Armoury in a grey Glen Check suit
Daniel Glen Plaid.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads