• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Mafoofan Help Himself

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For everyone facepalming at the "I wouldn't combine exercise with calorie restriction" post, I think you're reading too much into that last line. It's poorly phrased, but what he's trying to say is that slowly easing into a diet and exercise plan -- as opposed to jarringly embarking on a totally new routine from the get-go -- is a good way to ensure long term success. Changing both diet and exercise is certainly the ultimate goal. But is it realistic to do both, right off the bat, without acclimating to one or the other first? Especially for someone who hasn't worked out in over a decade, and who presumably has no experience with dieting? Put me in the baby steps / realist camp on this one. No offense to Foo, but I see his trying P90X for all of three days before giving up in frustration. He'd be better served by easing into a routine with some light running or jogging, some light weights, and some smarter food planning and conscious decisions about when, where, and how much he eats. Start there. Then ramp up as needed, slowly, over time. That's the best way to develop healthy habits for diet and exercise, rather than going through on-again, off-again experiments with full-on routines. Very few people can quit bad habits cold turkey. The same principle applies here. Foo's first goal should be moderate lifestyle change. His second goal, only after achieving the first, should be ramping up the intensity.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IDK, I didn't read that much subtlety into his statement. It sounded pretty definitive. I think people would have had a much less visceral reaction if it weren't diametrically opposite to the single most important tenet of body recomposition, which is what OP is trying to achieve.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
post deleted - wrong thread damnit...

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
op should be ashamed that he worries about breast wallets more than his own breasts. how can any educated person ignore fitness for a decade? I have a business, 3 kids and a 2hr round trip commute but train 5 days a week.

Can you skate worth a ****?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep it simple, Foo. Do push-ups and lunges at home. Get a pair of free weights. When you can (at work) take a walk outside.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I agree on that. I think the main issue with P90X is its lack of sustainability. What do you do after you complete the program? I also think it's inferior to traditional programs. Now, if we're talking about what he can do in a NYC apartment, something like a DVD is better than nothing.

Have you ever tried it?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did the first DVD this morning, for chest/shoulders. Clearly I am going to need to spend a couple weeks acclimating before starting the program in earnest. I haven't gotten the chin-up bar yet, or the bands, so I could only do the push-ups. I was able to do roughly half of the number of push-ups per rep compared to the people on-screen.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
smile.gif
at least you're starting somewhere!

keep it up!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Did the first DVD this morning, for chest/shoulders. Clearly I am going to need to spend a couple weeks acclimating before starting the program in earnest. I haven't gotten the chin-up bar yet, or the bands, so I could only do the push-ups. I was able to do roughly half of the number of push-ups per rep compared to the people on-screen.

Don't try to keep the pace of the people in the video, just do as many as you can.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P90X actually becomes fun. You'll find yourself feeling taller, and if you follow the diet stipulations, you'll probably feel better. Give yourself a cheat day a week (or two), and if you stick to it, you'll see great results.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Have you ever tried it?
Of course not, given that 1) The program is not conducive to my goals (which are different than the goals mentioned in the OP) 2) I have a fairly consistent schedule, unlike the OP, that affords me the time to go to a gym

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

You're ahead of me. I started P90X today. I only made it halfway through the workout. After the first 12 exercises I couldn't continue with the next 12. It wasn't due to fatigue or not being able to do the pushups/chin ups. I just got a huge headache. It's happened before when doing pushups/chin ups, but not with lifting weights, cardio, playing sports, etc. I think I'm just not breathing correctly and it eventually catches up to me and causes a ridiculous headache. When I get back to chest/shoulders, I'm going to have to really focus on proper breathing to make it through the whole workout without getting the headaches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads