• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you seen the people in Williamsburg Brooklyn?

erdavis

Reaction score
How quaint a discussion of the satorial nature of some "bridge and tunnel" people. I went to Williamsburg once when my car got towed. I believe the man at the impound lot was wearing some bespoke Dickies.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had breakfast at Egg once.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
What is a "Brooklyn"?
confused.gif

When you bowl a strike as a result of the ball hitting the area (pocket) between the 2 pin and the 1 pin.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tonight I had one of my rare outings into nighttime San Francisco for their "First Thursdays", which is when certain galleries are open at night for people to browse.

I saw abysmal amounts of these hipsters in their contrived grimy outfits and cultivated messy facial hair. A lot of them had on black eyeframes, and also carried messenger bags with pins affixed onto them. It was vaguely tragic and wasn't unlike a refugee camp.

The others were dressed mostly in black; or women in unseemly ethnic type costumes. I should have worn some of my exotic-hide items to provoke them.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Tonight I had one of my rare outings into nighttime San Francisco for their "First Thursdays", which is when certain galleries are open at night for people to browse.

I saw abysmal amounts of these hipsters in their contrived grimy outfits and cultivated messy facial hair. A lot of them had on black eyeframes, and also carried messenger bags with pins affixed onto them. It was vaguely tragic and wasn't unlike a refugee camp.

The others were dressed mostly in black; or women in unseemly ethnic type costumes. I should have worn some of my exotic-hide items to provoke them.

I wonder what they thought about you.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
Funny - i was there yesterday as well. Had to go see my motorcycle mechanic, who is on wyeth and 1st, just off of bedford ave. You def get some looks when you are walking along in navy chalk stripe suit with light brown loafers on.

Yeah in general they try too hard, and the look is getting old, but a hot girl i a hot girl, and some can pull of the look quite well.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max Inseam
From an anthropologic perspective, it is the part of Long Island that is sufficiently close to Manhattan that the inhabitants, despite needing to use a bridge or tunnel to get into Manhattan, nonetheless do not perceive themselves as part of the bridge and tunnel crowd.

How they perceive themselves isn't really relevant.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Tonight I had one of my rare outings into nighttime San Francisco for their "First Thursdays", which is when certain galleries are open at night for people to browse. I saw abysmal amounts of these hipsters in their contrived grimy outfits and cultivated messy facial hair. A lot of them had on black eyeframes, and also carried messenger bags with pins affixed onto them. It was vaguely tragic and wasn't unlike a refugee camp. The others were dressed mostly in black; or women in unseemly ethnic type costumes. I should have worn some of my exotic-hide items to provoke them.
laugh.gif
We were down there for about five minutes. One of our friends was having a party, but as soon as we got there, I felt the urge to leave. We went out to dinner instead.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
How they perceive themselves isn't really relevant.

From the "anthropological perspective", yes it is.

My little sister was a Sociology / Anthropology double major in college. I once asked her, "so what does that mean anyway? What's the difference?" She replied, "they both study, survey and interview people of different cultures, except Anthropology actually believes what the people say."

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
From the "anthropological perspective", yes it is.

My little sister was a Sociology / Anthropology double major in college. I once asked her, "so what does that mean anyway? What's the difference?" She replied, "they both study, survey and interview people of different cultures, except Anthropology actually believes what the people say."

Why would you believe your sister - are you an anthropologist?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Why would you believe your sister - are you an anthropologist?

naw, I'm a Sociologist. I listen patiently to what she thinks the believes, then explain what she should believe.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akaidiot
You're all dating yourselves. Making fun of Williamsburg is about as old and tired as gay jokes. Has anyone been there in the last 5 years? It's yuppies pushing strollers and buying condos; it might as well be Park Slope.

Freakin' yuppies.
angry.gif
Bushwick, baby!
fing02[1].gif

nsoltz

Reaction score
The Satmar can be a pretty rough lot. They are anti-Zionist and anti-state of Israel and often get into some pretty physical altercations. There was one a number of years ago in Boro Park between Satmar gangs and Bobovers since Bobover Rebbe was coming from Israel to visit his Chassidim. The Satmar weren't happy about it and started a riot on Sat night. The then-mayor of NY, Abe Beame, had to come out and shout in Yiddish "a shande fun dem goyim." (Roughly translated: "An embarassment in front of the non-Jews.").

Satmar groups a few years ago were snatching up Lubavitchers, shaving off their beards and dropping them in inhospitable neighborhoods.

BTW, see the article in today's (Feb 8) NY Times about the Chabadnik principal of a minority public school in the Bronx.

And he is very nicely attired like many Chabadniks.

I was in Saks looking at Zegna when a few Chabadniks came into the dept as well. Guess I know now why they had a rack of Zegna suits in, you guessed it, black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads