• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hairstyle, need help and advice!!!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and came here to ask this question.

I've got little hair experience, my hair is naturally wavy and is short-medium length, and I straighten it with a hair iron (one you can use when it's wet). I apply little shampoo and some conditioner every time I shower. I don't like how it is, in fact my bangs are getting quite long. (And my hair in general is increasing in length, I'd say my hair's mostly 6 cm or so except for the bangs which are unfortunately? now even and come almost halfway down my nose - I split my bangs into two parts and put them on opposite sides. My hair is black, naturally.) I've been looking around for Japanese hairstyles (myself being Asian-American) but I haven't quite found anything I liked perfectly. So pretty much I've been doing my own thing. Finally I came across the hair of a character named Kyouya, in the anime show Ouran High School Host Club (Ouran Kokou Hostobu, I think...). He's the one with black hair featured in these pics:

http://www.designchronicle.com/memen...club_ep24.html

and

kyouyaawesomeshorthairlg3.png

Kyouya.jpg

(The second picture being probably the one I like the most. In the third picture the sideburns are kinda sharp and long, maybe they'd look okay not as long?)

I can barely achieve the look. Due to the fact that my bangs have been evened (despite the fact that I didn't want them to be) it's not exactly like it, plus it seems that although my bangs are long enough there still seems to be areas which aren't covered by it like the pictures. Realizing this is merely a hand-drawn character it's obviously going to be perfect. But I know of people who sketched hairstyles in anime fashion and then went to get it cut, and it went well.

Any tips? I don't feel comfortable with walking into a salon or whatever, and showing pictures of an *anime* character to the stylist. But if that's all I can do, should I show the front and sides as best I can? Maybe I could even re-sketch it or have someone do that for me (seeing as I suck at drawing).

Sorry if I'm not being specific enough - if there's anything you need to ask, then ask and I'll get back to you ASAP. Advice, tips, etc. on this hair is welcome. I need this hairstyle figured out as soon as possible, thanks.

Thanks in advance.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Ugh.

rzi

Reaction score
I hate anime but the hairstyle could be cool. If I were you I'd go for something like this
picture2da2.png

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Ugh.

Hehehe, a bit cranky today are we? I know what you mean though - a cartoon character makes for very bad comparison to real-life hair. It merely sparked an idea, is all.

Originally Posted by rzi
I hate anime but the hairstyle could be cool.

If I were you I'd go for something like this

picture2da2.png

I'm not fond of the anime myself.

Thanks for that picture, I like that one. He seems to have a lot of bangs - even though they're not long and I certainly don't mind that. If you have any more shots of the same hairstyle it'd be good (or if anyone else has shots of the same/similar hairstyle), since I think that's something I'll go with.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
How about something like this? I've always liked Nicky Lee's hair.
15727.jpg
411437881.jpg
1581139223.jpg

p.trick

Reaction score
^^^That's probably a pretty accurate representation of what'd you get if you were to transpose that anime hairstyle to real life. Realistically, one just doesn't have enough hair to match the thickness of the drawing's bangs with that much coverage and separation at the same time. Here's a similar style:

sidebar-style4.jpg

I don't know how it is where you live, but it seems that every school-aged FOB in my area has some J-pop-inspired hair style and have collaborated with each other to use the same gravity-defying product with a matte finish:

710688185_l.jpg

If all else fails, trade your hair for ahhhchu90's in this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=39204

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by p.trick
^^^That's probably a pretty accurate representation of what'd you get if you were to transpose that anime hairstyle to real life. Realistically, one just doesn't have enough hair to match the thickness of the drawing's bangs with that much coverage and separation at the same time. Here's a similar style:

sidebar-style4.jpg

I don't know how it is where you live, but it seems that every school-aged FOB in my area has some J-pop-inspired hair style and have collaborated with each other to use the same gravity-defying product with a matte finish:

710688185_l.jpg

If all else fails, trade your hair for ahhhchu90's in this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=39204

OMG that's Guido-level hideous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
OMG that's Guido-level hideous

Hahaha! I gotta admit it looks a bit out of place on that guy - I guess if you were Asian (or a J-rock... aficionado or something) it'd look better on you.

Something like the second picture in p.trick's post in my opinion is way too troublesome. And like he said bangs aren't that thick - at least not as much as in anime.

Actually now that I've seen it Nicky Lee's hair is pretty cool, and p.trick's first pic. I think I may have a general idea now, but don't forget I have to use a straightener because my hair is wavy.
confused.gif
Hehehe. Anyways thanks for the ideas guys.

(By the way, wasn't there a singer named Eason Chan or something? Hehe. Anyways.)

EDIT: The guy in that thread you linked to (the one ahhhchu quoted) seriously must have the best hair - hehe. He can like, do anything with it, wow.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djnostalgia113
Hahaha! I gotta admit it looks a bit out of place on that guy - I guess if you were Asian (or a J-rock... aficionado or something) it'd look better on you. Something like the second picture in p.trick's post in my opinion is way too troublesome. And like he said bangs aren't that thick - at least not as much as in anime. Actually now that I've seen it Nicky Lee's hair is pretty cool, and p.trick's first pic. I think I may have a general idea now, but don't forget I have to use a straightener because my hair is wavy.
confused.gif
Hehehe. Anyways thanks for the ideas guys. (By the way, wasn't there a singer named Eason Chan or something? Hehe. Anyways.) EDIT: The guy in that thread you linked to (the one ahhhchu quoted) seriously must have the best hair - hehe. He can like, do anything with it, wow.

Eason Chan is who I named myself after, yup. He's my all-time fav singer
inlove.gif

velobran

Reaction score
After seeing those pics, I am so glad that I shave my head with a level 1. Besides .. my hair is too curly to do that.

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djnostalgia113
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Hahaha. Thanks for the input.
tounge.gif

No really, if I could grow out my hair, I probably would. I like a lot of hair styles sported by Japanese fashionistas, but strongly dislike skinny white boys with their hair slicked down across their forehead. I guess it depends on your personal style. I have to keep mine somewhat manageable because I often meet with clients and don't want to look like an unkempt bum.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by velobran
No really, if I could grow out my hair, I probably would. I like a lot of hair styles sported by Japanese fashionistas, but strongly dislike skinny white boys with their hair slicked down across their forehead. I guess it depends on your personal style. I have to keep mine somewhat manageable because I often meet with clients and don't want to look like an unkempt bum.

Haha, wow. Velobran, I couldn't agree more.... It just doesn't look all that great on "skinny white boys with their hair slicked down across their forehead." But I'm not exactly white.... Hehe. But yeah, personal style definitely counts. And not looking like an unkempt bum counts even more! Haha.

Originally Posted by lee lin
i think the phrase "if you got it flaunt it" is for women. so if your an asian man with nice hair you don't have to show it. keep it at a short-medium length and neat like any man does. although, if all you have is nice hair and would like to cover up your ugly mug be my guest. i see many asian men using this technique. i'm part asian too btw but prefer to show my ugly mug.
smile.gif

Hmm. I could have inferred from your name that you are part Chinese, hehe. Nice. I wouldn't brag about my "ugly mug" either, hehe. Medium-length hair, I guess is fine, and thank you for your words. (As far as I know there's no way to have spikes going toward the back - not sticking up though as to be like traditional... plain "spikes" - with bangs as well. Something efficient, which I could spend a little amount of time yet still be able to perform sport-like activities and working out with the hair intact, would be good. Thus something medium-length with bangs cut in such a way one would have to screw around with them alot seems inefficient.

[EDIT]: I don't really like my forehead - when uncovered, to me it seems to be quite large and thus that's why I have my bangs out.

Juujai

Reaction score
hi i'm new to post but this caught my eye.

anime hair actually originated from real life people. it originated from visual kei to be exact.

gatsby is one company that makes products that can achieve the hair you desire. http://www.gatsby.jp/tv/index.html check it out whether or not it is pretty interesting to see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads