• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
You paid more than that for your shirt; it's all relative. :)

What's the hate side of the 686+? I dream of that unfluted TALO edition.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

You paid more than that for your shirt; it's all relative. :)

What's the hate side of the 686+? I dream of that unfluted TALO edition.

i loathe the new smiths with the lock. I also dont like the action on them nearly as well as the older ones. And given the choice, ill always choose a revolver with the firing pin on the hammer. I dont know why they changed that.

The talo edition is pretty, but the grips feel REALLY odd in my hand. quite unbalanced.....theyre really thin and the gun itself is heavy.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen that Hi-Power yet, but I'd love to put some rounds through one.

If you are into old Smiths you might check to see is Gun Broker has any of those used police revolvers knocking about. I got one a while back for something like $300. The blueing was pretty worn, but if you are into DIY fixes as I am, a re-blue kit and some steel wool does wonders.
Ah the smell of copper (cold bluing) reminds me of walking into most gun shows. I'm not a fan of cold bluing, especially on wheel guns but have done it for light touch ups on long guns. I have found heating the metal and using 409 cleaner as a wetting agent helps a lot. And of course oil free 0000 steel wool. At least with Brownells oxpho blue. Check out Mark Lee Express bluing it is a rust bluing that is a lot more durable and better looking. If you can boil water and use steel wool you can give a decent full bluing job. My S&W have already been back to the custom gunshop for tuneup and when the bluing is worn bad enough I will send them back for a factory blue job, but I only have 3 S&W that I posted earlier.

I have a love hate relationship with gunbroker. Couple of weeks ago got into a bidding war on an Ultra 37 with someone and had to really evaluate how much I was willing to spend and gave up. On the other last week picked up a 1962 Ithaca 37 RV Deluxe in 16 Ga. for so cheap I could be accused of stealing it. The seller spelled Ithaca "Ithica" and it went unnoticed. I was the only bidder.

Also picked up an Ohio made 37 not long ago in 12 Ga. at about half price NIB. I spent my "savings" on AAA wood for it. But figure no reason not to have your guns look good too....

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
^^congrats on that 16ga!

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really enjoying this gun: (Desert Tech SRS A1 Covert)

Been working up some hand loads for it and have been pretty happy with the accuracy.

(100 Yards)

I am the Jackson Pollock of shooters. I call this composition Gusty Winds at 816 yards. (copper, lead, and acrylic on steel)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
great looking piece! what kind of glass is that?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

.338? What a monster; congrats.

300 Win Mag or 308, depending on which barrel I have on it. (The chassis will take pretty much any barrel up to 338 LM)

These shots were with the 300 WM. (pushing 230gr Bergers at 2880 fps)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Nightforce scope with a Barrett BORS on top.

those are great scopes. lot of the guys at my shop talk a lot of **** about them, but theyre great glass.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
has anyone had a chance to shoot the gen 2 Kel Tec sub 2k? Kinda think im gonna pick one of those up next. folds in half and fits in my briefcase.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

has anyone had a chance to shoot the gen 2 Kel Tec sub 2k? Kinda think im gonna pick one of those up next. folds in half and fits in my briefcase.

I'm pretty sure I can be arrested in CA just for reading this post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure I can be arrested in CA just for reading this post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ha! well, they do make the cali-friendly 10 round mags that will fit in it....

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Outlasted some guy on Gun Broker for this lovely no-dash 686. As we speak it is rocketing toward my local FFL and will be in jail for a few days while I wait out my 3 day Illinois Communism period. So, does anyone make exotic wood stocks for these anymore? All I'm seeing is douchey imitation BS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads