• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yah, in the bottom pic I have the 30rd stick. The sticks are the most reliable, but simply dumping a 50rd drum is incredible fun!

There are two common 'styles' of TSMG, the Model of 1928 as above, and the M1 style. The M1 has the actuator on the side rather than the top, and only has the horizontal foregrip. It was the 'simplfied' version created to meet demand during WWII, when the Model of 1928 style could not be produced fast enough. The M1 does not take a drum, while the 1928 takes either. While the gun itself is surprisingly heavy, with a full 50 rd drum it is really heavy, and with a full 100rd drum its ridiculous.

Thompsons are remarkably accurate, even with the 10" barrel on the Class III Thompsons, and are remarkably controllable in burst fire, unlike some fully automatic subguns.  The modern replicas might be more accurate, as they have significantly longer barrels.

But aren't you in NJ or NY?

Oh, wait.. snap! That's you shooting the thompsons above?!

:slayer:

I much prefer the M1. Below is the video I was referring to. This old man is kinda funny lol. He's a fantastic shot and I'd be happy being half as accurate at him. Also, :slayer: at his playground.

Also, no. I live in Dallas. Planning on moving to NY soon, though, so I probably won't be buying any guns, although I kinda want to.

Last edited:

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Outstanding.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That old guy is either a liar or looking really, really damn good for being a minimum of 86 years old. WWII ended in '45, so say he legally enlisted in the last year of the war and the minimum age, he's 86.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Is his youtube channel worth checking out?

Question concerning my forthcoming AR purchase. Will I notice, as a very amateur shooter, much of a difference between the S&W M&P models with a free floating barrel vs. non? Chromed vs. non for longevity and cleaning?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think so. He is a funny dude and features a lot of guns.

As to your AR question, no you will probably not be able to tell the difference between free floating v. non or chrome lined v. non in your everyday shooting. Free floating a barrel is useful when shooting for accuracy as the barrel heats up. A chrome lined barrel will help it in terms of corrosion and fouling. However if you are just going to use yours for plinking and fun gunning, then it probably doesn't matter. FWIW I have a Colt AR with a chrome lined barrel.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I figured. I'm just not serious enough nor going to use it enough for marginal performance increases. Think I'm looking at the MP15 T or X. I want a 30 rounder, of course, and to be able to shoot either the 5.56 or .223.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
As little as possible but I want something that is not bargain basement. I'll also add some dohickies that will make the evil black gun look evil and be more functional such as broomstick handle with retractable bipod, flashlight, and a nice red dot and/or laser

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't recommend the Colt highly enough. It's a little over 1000 at Bud's right now. Not a bad price at all considering the recent run on ARs. Just a thought, I was issued one of those foregrips with the retractable bipod in it. Utterly useless in my estimation. The for grip is wide, unwieldy, and uncomfortable. The bipod is non adjustable, slippery when placed on the ground, and not stable. I tore it off my M4 inside of a week. It's primary function, IMO, was to allow POGs to prop up their weapons in the chow hall without getting the barrel dirty. Get yourself a good red dot sight like an Aimpoint or Eotech (I prefer Aimpoints for my own reasons), a flashlight, and a low profile foregrip and be done with it. Lasers are pointless with you have a red dot sight. YMMV, and have fun.

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're buying an AR a Colt is sort of the standard. I have a Colt LE6920 and love it.

There are more expensive ones (Noveske, BCM, POF, etc) which for the most part are really really good, and cheaper ones, here is where it gets tricky.

Even for plinking I would look into a few things.

1. Make sure is mil-spec, more available accessories
2. I would pay a little more for a chrome lined barrel, bolt and bolt carrier group (it'll last longer and you will not have to clean as much). Chrome lined barrels are inherently less accurate than, say, stainless steel ones, but they last longer.
3. In general ARs are not very accurate rifles per se (that's not what they are intended for). For accuracy you have bolt action rifles. Having said that, a free floated barrel would be more accurate since you would have no pressure points on the barrel. Regardless, ALL barrels become less accurate as they heat up.
4. There are 3 different lengths for the AR gas system: carbine, mid-length and rifle length, with carbine being the most common.
5. Barrel twist rate, 1:7 vs 1:9. Faster barrels (1:7) can shoot heavier ammo (62 grain and above very accurately). Something slower barrels can't do as well. They are all very good for 55-62 grain ammo, which is the most common type of 5.56/.223 bullet you'll encounter.
6. Finally, if you buy an AR15 type rifle make sure is chambered 5.56 NATO and not .223. You can shoot .223 from a 5.56 chamber but not the other way around (at least is not recommended, in theory really bad things could happen to the gun... and you)

IMHO the ARs on a budget I'd look at are DMPS Panther (not the Sportical model), Stag Arms with plus package (I have a couple, awesome guns for the money) and Windham Weaponry (not the carbon fiber ones). Sig Sauers are also good but a slightly more expensive, still cheaper than Colt.

Good luck

Last edited:

harkamsu

Reaction score
CZ makes a nice gun, especially considering the price tag. Generally underrated, I think.
You would probably be surprised to find out that this one out the door from the CZ Custom Shop out of Mesa, AZ ran me just shy under $2300.

The base was a custom model already, but I had additional work done to it. It's good for under 2.5 inch groups at 50 yards. The bushing is not a stock option on CZs. Neither is the extended barrel on this side of the pond. It also has a short reset trigger that makes 1911 owners envious. The trigger pull in single action is like 1/8 of an inch @ 3.5 pounds. No creep or over travel. There is quite a bit of additional work on it that would probably bore anyone but the most enthusiastic of hobbyists.

But yes, I agree. Stock models are serious bang for the buck, pun not intended.

Big Bertha as I call her is a pleasure to shoot.

brokencycle

Reaction score

You would probably be surprised to find out that this one out the door from the CZ Custom Shop out of Mesa, AZ ran me just shy under $2300.

The base was a custom model already, but I had additional work done to it. It's good for under 2.5 inch groups at 50 yards. The bushing is not a stock option on CZs. Neither is the extended barrel on this side of the pond. It also has a short reset trigger that makes 1911 owners envious. The trigger pull in single action is like 1/8 of an inch @ 3.5 pounds. No creep or over travel. There is quite a bit of additional work on it that would probably bore anyone but the most enthusiastic of hobbyists.

But yes, I agree. Stock models are serious bang for the buck, pun not intended.

Big Bertha as I call her is a pleasure to shoot.

Holy hell!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads