• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Limboroom

Reaction score
Hello, all:
I recently got a pair of suede traveler loafers in 9.5D. I really like them, but there's fair bit of heel slip with socks and some room at the side of the feet. It's not as bad as the Rancourt loafers in 9.5 I tried—my foot isn't slipping out of the shoe entirely—but it's still noticeably loose. I'm wondering if I should stick with them & maybe get heel pads, or return them. Does anyone have a sense of how much the length changes between 9E and 9.5D? The length on these is pretty good, so I don't think I have a lot of room to go down that way.
My Brannock size is about 10; I wear running shoes in 10.5 (medium), and my best fitting welted shoes are Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boots in 10D. My foot is flat and not wide, but with high volume in the forefoot, which has given me trouble with Allen Edmonds's 65 last and Meermin's Hiro last. I reached out to Grant Stone & received a prompt response, but like me they were somewhat surprised that the 9.5D wasn't tight. I'm also interested in any sizing suggestions for their longwings.
Thanks!
Sorry, no experience with the loafers and other sizes.

But, FWIW, here‘s my loafer story. Hope it helps.
I am sort of in the same boat with my suede loafers, but luckily only when sockless. With socks, it’s pretty much “perfect”. My left is always going to be little loose for me - my right is almost a half size larger.

But sockless/no shows, I still have slips, even with wearing them often this summer. I bought these guys and they definitely help to minimize slipping - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZNKEVU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am considering going a half size down for my next loafer (CXL Dune). But, if they even work at all, I believe that those will most probably ONLY work sockless/no shows. When I use socks and the above inserts, my right is super uncomfortable on top by the strap. I am starting to realize, that for me, I probably need different sizes for each use case (socks/no socks).

Also, I am kind of fine with a little slop with no shows. I would only really do that with shorts and in summer, so super casual doesn’t bother me. Plus, I am used to having sloppy slippers/boat shoes/flip-flops. Most of the time, I don‘t even wear the above insoles. As long as I don’t think about it, it’s no big deal.

I would try the above insoles and/or tongue pads first. It may be all you need.

However, if you ever wanted to go sockless/no shows, I would consider returning and sizing down.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Brass boots in saddle tan went for a loooong walk in the park today...

Attachments

• 20230913_175430.jpg
    20230913_175430.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20230913_162242.jpg
    20230913_162242.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230913_153928.jpg
    20230913_153928.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 136

basu13

Reaction score
Just curious, do any of you have recommendations for creams, conditioners, or other product one might use to darken the natural minerva? TIA
You could try Saphir shoe cream in a darker shade (mahogany, brown etc). Over time and multiple coats, those should gradually darken the leather .

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have well worn pics of tobacco waxy commander with a good deal of the wax removed? Thinking about whether I would like to give that leather a try someday.

hses212

Reaction score
Sorry, no experience with the loafers and other sizes.

But, FWIW, here‘s my loafer story. Hope it helps.
I am sort of in the same boat with my suede loafers, but luckily only when sockless. With socks, it’s pretty much “perfect”. My left is always going to be little loose for me - my right is almost a half size larger.

But sockless/no shows, I still have slips, even with wearing them often this summer. I bought these guys and they definitely help to minimize slipping - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZNKEVU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am considering going a half size down for my next loafer (CXL Dune). But, if they even work at all, I believe that those will most probably ONLY work sockless/no shows. When I use socks and the above inserts, my right is super uncomfortable on top by the strap. I am starting to realize, that for me, I probably need different sizes for each use case (socks/no socks).

Also, I am kind of fine with a little slop with no shows. I would only really do that with shorts and in summer, so super casual doesn’t bother me. Plus, I am used to having sloppy slippers/boat shoes/flip-flops. Most of the time, I don‘t even wear the above insoles. As long as I don’t think about it, it’s no big deal.

I would try the above insoles and/or tongue pads first. It may be all you need.

However, if you ever wanted to go sockless/no shows, I would consider returning and sizing down.
I have some cotton Pedags insoles I bought years ago. The wool ones must be new or I just didn't notice them. It's hard to tell what they're made out of...it looks like woven wool with little "dots" of rubber on the bottom? I assume it's not "Cork, Leather, Rubber, Wool, Cotton" like the description says.

I like the cotton ones I have but they're slightly thicker than I'd prefer. I also have to wash them every 3 or 4 wears. I imagine wool could go much longer before they started to smell bad and they sound thinner based on the reviews.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Those Pedag 113 wool insoles are pretty nice, and yes, they are wool on top with a 'silicone rubber' on the bottom, and they are very, very thin. Only problem is that they are ridiculously narrow, especially front half of them. If you can, buy them 2-3 sizes up and cut them down to the required shape. Sadly, the largest size 13 is still a bit too short and much too narrow for my 11.5E or 12D GS boots. I can use those insoles in boots that are inherently narrow and are designed to bulge to the sides (like Red Wing Roughneck or Merchant), but not in 'proper width' boots or shoes.

Limboroom

Reaction score
I have some cotton Pedags insoles I bought years ago. The wool ones must be new or I just didn't notice them. It's hard to tell what they're made out of...it looks like woven wool with little "dots" of rubber on the bottom? I assume it's not "Cork, Leather, Rubber, Wool, Cotton" like the description says.

I like the cotton ones I have but they're slightly thicker than I'd prefer. I also have to wash them every 3 or 4 wears. I imagine wool could go much longer before they started to smell bad and they sound thinner based on the reviews.
Woodenbits described them really well. Here are some pics of my 10D and the size 10 insole. The last 2 with the insole pushed all the way to front and back. It definitely doesn’t fill the whole shoe. But, for me, they do the job and do it well. I can’t tell or feel the half inch gap at all. I do also wear no-shoes, so that helps too. Edit - thinking about it more, I probably would get the bigger and trim it down like wooden said. I mean, why not, right?

And, yes, like most of my other wool products, these can go quite a long time between washes. Just air them out and you are good to go.

Attachments

• 60E7F977-77D5-4950-93FB-85B2A0EDA283.jpeg
    60E7F977-77D5-4950-93FB-85B2A0EDA283.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 84
  • D6C1D621-E23F-4749-AF92-3FDC5DA5FD73.jpeg
    D6C1D621-E23F-4749-AF92-3FDC5DA5FD73.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20B93FE3-7CC6-49CE-B14F-CFDE7FCE64B6.jpeg
    20B93FE3-7CC6-49CE-B14F-CFDE7FCE64B6.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 101
  • AF40CFDE-2A49-4250-B6F9-A14C937C5A96.jpeg
    AF40CFDE-2A49-4250-B6F9-A14C937C5A96.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

hses212

Reaction score
Woodenbits described them really well. Here are some pics of my 10D and the size 10 insole. The last 2 with the insole pushed all the way to front and back. It definitely doesn’t fill the whole shoe. But, for me, they do the job and do it well. I can’t tell or feel the half inch gap at all. I do also wear no-shoes, so that helps too. Edit - thinking about it more, I probably would get the bigger and trim it down like wooden said. I mean, why not, right?

And, yes, like most of my other wool products, these can go quite a long time between washes. Just air them out and you are good to go.
Ah, got it. They do look a bit thinner and narrower than the cotton (and foam) pairs I have: https://pedagusa.com/196-summer/

I did size up a bit on those and they're still a little short. Also not really trimmable because the cotton wraps around the bottom edge. Will grab a couple of pairs of the wool ones and see how they go.

These are also great: https://www.amazon.com/Zederna-Cedar-Wood-Shoe-Insoles/dp/B005JS7N0S. Main downside is my toes slide a little bit as they try to "grip" when walking up steep hills. They'd be a terrible choice for hiking or running. Completely fine for normal use though and they have absolutely no odor, including of cedar, even after 3 or 4 years of using them most days (out of 4 pairs, so maybe once or twice a week each). You can't wash them obviously but I suppose I could wipe them with alcohol.

707Matt

Reaction score
Well, the soles are just too slippery. Dropped these of yesterday for their first resole. I'm very excited about this!!

Attachments

• 20230920_125814.jpg
    20230920_125814.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230920_125837.jpg
    20230920_125837.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230920_125850.jpg
    20230920_125850.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230920_125904.jpg
    20230920_125904.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230920_125920.jpg
    20230920_125920.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230920_125745.jpg
    20230920_125745.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230920_125758.jpg
    20230920_125758.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 107

woodenbits

Reaction score
Well, the soles are just too slippery. Dropped these of yesterday for their first resole. I'm very excited about this!!
Oh, the excitement (and the dread!) of a resole! Something to be still experienced by yours truly. And with the ever-growing collection of boots, probably years away.

If you do not mind me asking, on what surfaces/conditions you found them to be slippery? I am slowly warming up to the same outsole on my Brass boots and while my soles are not quite as worn as yours, I found them so far to be less slippery than expected. But then of course, my baseline is a leather sole that I do not mind at all.

My only (minor) complaint about those outsoles (after my achy tendons adjusted to a bit of extra load caused by cushioning effect) is that they do wear down quite quickly simply from steady walking on asphalt pavement, but that is pretty much by design I think.

As for slippery surprises, so far I found that Vibram 430 (minilug) outsole is surprisingly dangerous on wet natural stones that I used for a walkway around my house. Surprisingly because those stones have pretty rough surface, but get them wet, and 430 is sliding on them almost effortlessly.

Contrary to complaints about leather soles on wet marble, I found that in my own kitchen with cheap glazed ceramic tiles floor, some slippers with rubber sole can be absolutely treacherous if couple drops of water find their way to the ceramic tiles (almost did splits a number of times), but leather soles tend to actually become stickier/grippier when stepping on the same 'drizzled' floor (at a cost of absorbing that water). Maybe it takes more water than what can be quickly absorbed to make leather soles slippery in those conditions. Maybe it is a marble thing. Dunno.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
margaretjohn23