• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodbye Casual - Hello Suits

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post.

I wonder if you can help me out. Since my teens I have always dressed in t-shirt, jeans and trainers. I have always wanted to dress smarter but stuck with my usual so as to fit in with my peers. I am now in my thirties, still dressing the same and would like to sharpen up.

I would like to swap the t-shirt and jeans and start wearing suits as I feel more confident when wearing them. OK I know its not practical all the while but I would like to look my best as much as possible. There's a couple of points I am looking for help on.

Firstly, any of you out there who have done exactly that. Swapped casual look for suits. Is it best just to go all in or to do so gradually. What kind of reaction do you get from people when they see you turn up to informal occasions wearing a suit?

Secondly advice for achieving the right look. I want to look young, cool and sharp. I do not want to look like a bank manager or a pimp. Also advice on getting the right fit at the right price.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I kinda went thru this 10 years ago....trying to live my own renaissance of wearing suits more than casual. tbh, while I love suits and wearing them, it isn't something I would want to wear daily. I've found more interest in a "casual smart" compromise that satisfies both looking well put together, along with the kind of comfort casualwear brings to the table. I think you can have the same ultra sharp look of wearing a suit/tie with the right casual outfit choices.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannalooksmart
What kind of reaction do you get from people when they see you turn up to informal occasions wearing a suit?

remember that the key to dressing well is to dress well within the context of your environment. So showing up wearing a suit to a backyard BBQ (just as an example but there's tons of applicable scenarios) isnt being well dressed.

If you decide to go smart-casual, FIT is king

*btw, I wouldnt enforce some kind of ultimatum on yourself. Just wear a suit more often like going out on weekend nights, instead of jeans and a sweater. Just adding 1 or 2 more wears per week will make you feel like you're wearing a suit all the time.

Reaction score
Yeah i know what you mean. Other unappropriate examples would be at the beach or a football match!

I do keep trying the casual/smart look - suit style jacket with jeans and either shirt or t-shirt but I just can't seem to get the right edge to it.

Also agree with what you say about not liking to do it all the time. For example my job allows me to wear whatever I like if I am not going out of the office and most of the time that suits me fine. I just want to look really good in more social situations.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
one of the (or maybe the only) advantages of the ubiquity of sportscoat-and-jeans outfits is that it has "normalized" the wearing of a jacket in casual situations. It's gotten to the point where it doesnt really look out of place to be wearing a tweed sportcoat with denim in most situations. use this to your advantage. Invest in some good, versatile sportcoats and you can gradually work your way to more dressed-up looks without being constantly asked if you're going to a job interview.

note: there's a difference between a sportcoat and an orphaned suit jacket. Wearing a navy pinstripe jacket with jeans is not going to be harmonious, as it clashes stylistically and will seem like a "mash-up" outfit. But something like a textury herringbone tweed with details like elbow patches or a lapel flap with dark jeans, good brown shoes and a button-down oxford would be perfect. Feel free to add a tie (again, think rough texture. This makes it less formal)

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
remember that the key to dressing well is to dress well within the context of your environment. So showing up wearing a suit to a backyard BBQ (just as an example but there's tons of applicable scenarios) isnt being well dressed.

If you decide to go smart-casual, FIT is king

Fit IS King, like the man said.

I had a Road to Damascus moment like you some time ago. For me it was a health scare; I lost some weight and looked good enough [I thought]
laugh.gif
to spend a little more money on clothes.

The suit: Have it tailored for you. Navy blue is a good starter suit/ in 2 button style/fabric weight that you can wear year round/it must be wool/ask for some 'waist suppression'. Google 'savile row' and study the pictures/take these to your chosen tailor.

Even a better and cheaper idea that you can utilize in more situations: Tailored shirts. You will look like God's gift to women because you will be the only one in sight that looks trim and fit even if you aren't. A tailored shirt is that flattering. Choose some casual and some business appropriate fabrics. Ask for a slightly taller collarband and slightly larger collar/nobodys neck is pretty. Some Italian ready made shirts have a higher collar; you can tell 'cause there are 2 buttons on the throat - that's what I'm talkin about. Cary Grant knew this and would 'pop' his collar to hide more of his neck.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
one of the (or maybe the only) advantages of the ubiquity of sportscoat-and-jeans outfits is that it has "normalized" the wearing of a jacket in casual situations. It's gotten to the point where it doesnt really look out of place to be wearing a tweed sportcoat with denim in most situations. use this to your advantage. Invest in some good, versatile sportcoats and you can gradually work your way to more dressed-up looks without being constantly asked if you're going to a job interview.

note: there's a difference between a sportcoat and an orphaned suit jacket. Wearing a navy pinstripe jacket with jeans is not going to be harmonious, as it clashes stylistically and will seem like a "mash-up" outfit. But something like a textury herringbone tweed with details like elbow patches or a lapel flap with dark jeans, good brown shoes and a button-down oxford would be perfect. Feel free to add a tie (again, think rough texture. This makes it less formal)

You've got a point there. As the jacket and jeans look is everywhere I don't feel that I look any sharper than anyone else. The next step up seems to be a suit but worn in a casual manner. Not sure if there is any half way house. Add a tie to the more casual look perhaps?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
another way to look smart-casual is to add cardigans into your mix, as cardi's are kind of becoming the "new sport jacket" just as pocketsquares became "the new tie", at least how I'm seeing it.

A well fitting cardi, tailored shirt, appropriate tie, well fitting trews and good shoes...you'll look smarter and sharper than most guys in a suit without looking "Mr Rogers"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Fit IS King, like the man said.

I had a Road to Damascus moment like you some time ago. For me it was a health scare; I lost some weight and looked good enough [I thought]
laugh.gif
to spend a little more money on clothes.

The suit: Have it tailored for you. Navy blue is a good starter suit/ in 2 button style/fabric weight that you can wear year round/it must be wool/ask for some 'waist suppression'. Google 'savile row' and study the pictures/take these to your chosen tailor.

Even a better and cheaper idea that you can utilize in more situations: Tailored shirts. You will look like God's gift to women because you will be the only one in sight that looks trim and fit even if you aren't. A tailored shirt is that flattering. Choose some casual and some business appropriate fabrics. Ask for a slightly taller collarband and slightly larger collar/nobodys neck is pretty. Some Italian ready made shirts have a higher collar; you can tell 'cause there are 2 buttons on the throat - that's what I'm talkin about. Cary Grant knew this and would 'pop' his collar to hide more of his neck.

Must agree that I need to get suits tailored. I have quite a few. They are all off the peg and bought over the years without much thought so I don't think any of them look that great. Therefore suit wise I think I need to start a new collection. Is it OK to buy off the peg and get them altered or should I go for made to measure. I can't afford true bespoke.

Interesting what you say about tailored shirts. Are we talking with or without jacket?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
another way to look smart-casual is to add cardigans into your mix, as cardi's are kind of becoming the "new sport jacket" just as pocketsquares became "the new tie", at least how I'm seeing it.

A well fitting cardi, tailored shirt, appropriate tie, well fitting trews and good shoes...you'll look smarter and sharper than most guys in a suit without looking "Mr Rogers"

Must admit I am not a cardi fan. Would actually feel less self conscious in a full suit. Seen quite a bit lately about pocket squares. Not seen any around but perhaps I am not that observant!

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got a point there. As the jacket and jeans look is everywhere I don't feel that I look any sharper than anyone else.

check out how many guys in the Streetwear and Denim WAYWN are in jeans and a t, or how many in the Mens Clothing WAYWN are in a charcoal suit and brown balmorals. You're forgetting who is KING, thats what makes one look sharper than the rest.

You're thinking about this too zoomed-out. yes, on the page tweed-and-denim sounds tired and predicatable, but you're neglecting to consider how fit and the combination of textures (more applicable than tweed for summer is linen, which functions similarly- casual by virtue of its non-smoothness) and a confident, sophisticated color scheme will play into the equation and set you apart. It's about subtlety. that's the problem with suddenly one day going full-bore into suits: there's no subtlety in that. Its brash and attention-grabbing to have this sudden conversion, no one will even really be noting how good your suit looks, becasue they'll just be surprised at the change. But if you focus on fit and quality and these small details, people won't wonder why you're wearing that suit, they'll be wondering why it is you always seem to look just a little, can't-put-my-finger-on-it bit better than everyone else.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You've got a point there. As the jacket and jeans look is everywhere I don't feel that I look any sharper than anyone else. The next step up seems to be a suit but worn in a casual manner. Not sure if there is any half way house. Add a tie to the more casual look perhaps?

If you aren't feeling the denim, try moving up to odd trousers. A nice pair of wool trousers makes for a much dressier look than do jeans. Add a sportcoat and tie and you're even more dressed up, without being the guy who's always in a suit for no good reason.

There's really a whole range of options for you to consider. For a casual barbecue, you might go with khakis and a linen shirt and nice shoes. That'll make you look more "dressed" than all the guys in their shorts and flipflops. For a day at the office, a sportcoat and odd trousers will have the same effect.

The key to a subtle transformation, I think, is to gradually transition to nicer clothes, and to make sure you're only slightly better dressed than most other folks at any given time.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If you aren't feeling the denim, try moving up to odd trousers. A nice pair of wool trousers makes for a much dressier look than do jeans. Add a sportcoat and tie and you're even more dressed up, without being the guy who's always in a suit for no good reason.

There's really a whole range of options for you to consider. For a casual barbecue, you might go with khakis and a linen shirt and nice shoes. That'll make you look more "dressed" than all the guys in their shorts and flipflops. For a day at the office, a sportcoat and odd trousers will have the same effect.

The key to a subtle transformation, I think, is to gradually transition to nicer clothes, and to make sure you're only slightly better dressed than most other folks at any given time.

Odd trousers could be an idea. I always think of jeans and trousers and no in between. For trousers I always think of dress trousers that look like part of a suit. Perhaps a more casual material could do the trick. May well go shopping this weekend for my own 'casual suit'. Not worried about turning up to bbq in shorts. I usually end up getting covered in beer and tomato sauce! More the point that I am looking for a really sharp cool look to go out in the evening and to wear around town during the day.

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

In many places in my experience wool trousers + sportcoat + tie = a suit. Showing up dressed like that will get just as many "how the interview went?" comments as a suit
rolleyes.gif
I don't know about England, but I'd assume the ignorance is pretty much global these days.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
In many places in my experience wool trousers + sportcoat + tie = a suit. Showing up dressed like that will get just as many "how the interview went?" comments as a suit
rolleyes.gif
I don't know about England, but I'd assume the ignorance is pretty much global these days.

Yeah, but my point is that there's a wide array of options here. Start out with odd trousers and an open-necked shirt and people won't think much of it. Once they're accustomed to seeing you in that, add in a sportcoat now and then. Then toss on a silk knit tie one day, maybe worn a bit a loose around the neck. Before you know it, people will expect you to look a bit "dressed up." That'll make for a much smoother transition than suddenly going from jeans to suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads