• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling USA Trunk Show Schedule April 2007

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
I can remember the time ( not long ago ) when AA was offering $199 weekend NYC-London roundtrips, and the GBP hovered around $1.60

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I'm meeting with Tony on 4/20 in NYC...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I just made an appointment for 4/14 in DC.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's 445, not 455. Shoes with more handwork are 500.

Just got this response from Tony to my e-mail requesting an appointment.

With regards to price: "MTO shoes start at £525 for normal shoes and £585 for hand sewn shoes. If you want shoe trees with them they will be an extra £75."

That is quite a significant jump, now the shoes are going to cost me over $1K, whereas a few months before it would have been less, including the shoe trees. I'm going to have to decline this appointment. I plan on letting him know, in a nice way of course, that my change of mind is solely due to this price increase. Not only is the dollar probably weaker than at the time he did charge 445, he increased it by another 80! Oh well. Not implying at all that his artisanry or craftmanship doesn't justify it, but just too much for me at the moment.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Just got this response from Tony to my e-mail requesting an appointment. With regards to price: "MTO shoes start at £525 for normal shoes and £585 for hand sewn shoes. If you want shoe trees with them they will be an extra £75." That is quite a significant jump, now the shoes are going to cost me over $1K, whereas a few months before it would have been less, including the shoe trees. I'm going to have to decline this appointment. I plan on letting him know, in a nice way of course, that my change of mind is solely due to this price increase. Not only is the dollar probably weaker than at the time he did charge 445, he increased it by another 80! Oh well. Not implying at all that his artisanry or craftmanship doesn't justify it, but just too much for me at the moment.
You may want to confirm if those prices include VAT before changing your mind. £525 is app. £445 excluding VAT, whereas £585 is about £500.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I just made an appointment for 4/14 in DC.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think this should be called the aportnoy.
I believe it's called the Horseshack.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelessRider
You may want to confirm if those prices include VAT before changing your mind. £525 is app. £445 excluding VAT, whereas £585 is about £500.

Good point, although my e-mail did indicate, parenthetically, to provide the price exclusive of VAT. But I shall follow up.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received e-mail confirmation from Tony that the price of normal MTO shoes is 445 GBP excluding VAT + 75 GBP for shoe trees.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
75 GBP for shoe trees.

If I order the G&G "smart square", I could sub G&G trees with EG 888 trees at a £25 saving, correct?

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received e-mail confirmation from Tony that the price of normal MTO shoes is 445 GBP excluding VAT + 75 GBP for shoe trees.

Bit cheaper than paying retail for EGs @ RL once you factor in the Nu Yawk sales tax
plain.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, Tony just confirmed 445. Fantastic.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what are your opinions on the necessity of getting the lasted shoe trees? Obviously I know that it will be a good thing, but for about $150, do you think I will be just as well served as Nordstrom cedar trees? I recall the debate that the lacquered solid shoe trees may not be in fact as good as cedar trees in absorbing moisture and the like, but on the other side, lasted trees obviously give much better shape to the shoes.

Basically what I'm asking is, on some sort of scale, such as "*******, you don't need to drop $150 on trees" to "You should do it because your shoes aren't going to last as long if you don't" what do you recommend? If it's more towards the latter, I'm going to have to pimp my girls a little harder to come up with the cash.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have several pair of Brooks Brothers Peal shoes that I've worn for twenty years with trees that are not lasted. They've held up every bit as well as my other shoes, including a couple pair of EGs from the days when EG made for BBC.

You can always replace the trees for aesthetic reasons at some future time if you are so inclined.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

Basically what I'm asking is, on some sort of scale, such as "*******, you don't need to drop $150 on trees" to "You should do it because your shoes aren't going to last as long if you don't" what do you recommend? If it's more towards the latter, I'm going to have to pimp my girls a little harder to come up with the cash.

You should see the trees before making up your mind. IMO they are gorgeous. I added them to my order because I was already spending about 1k. What's another $150 to get the works?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
You should see the trees before making up your mind. IMO they are gorgeous. I added them to my order because I was already spending about 1k. What's another $150 to get the works?

I would agree with this. It's like buying a fine Italian sportscar, but then going to cheap gas station and filling it with regular. If you're going to go that far with purchasing something of such quality, might as well go all the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads