• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Justifying the price of shoes or anything is rather difficult. It is very easy to say how much something costs, what it's worth becomes somewhat subjective. I would think that most of us that contemplate shoes in this price range, we are probably looking at the aesthetics rather than the practicality. It's how they make you feel when you wear them. Tastes vary between us all. I have seen bespoke shoes costing many thousands of pounds on this forum (different thread) that I wouldn't give houseroom to regardless of how they're welted or how much they cost.
There is something about a high end shoe that transends functionality and IMHO becomes art if the proportions are perfect.
G&G seem to appeal to me time after time, more so than most. That you pay a premium for that elegance seems correct and proper. Whether that premium is too much for the humble GYW shoe is something only you can decide.

It's for some of the same reasons why someone chooses to buy a Rolex instead of a Timex, or better yet a Patek instead of a Rolex in this case. They all do the same thing. It's just that one does it in a more.elegant fashion.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I am much more concern about quality/price ratio now than before ( I have enough good quality shoes and much more knowledge). Maybe this is not a question for you but I believe that the law of disminishing returns has an end. I am not trying to critize no one here, indeed, I just would like to know a reasonable price for those shoes (no retail margins/profit). The fact that you buy them at those prices should not mean you consider their prices to much for their quality. As an example I would tell you that I would not pay today 748 € for a pair of C&J handgrade Chadwick 2 I own, and I love them.

ino68

Reaction score
I'm thinking most of G&Gs business is not coming from the shoe buffs of styleforum, but rather from people who aren't really that concerned about the price tag.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I am much more concern about quality/price ratio now than before ( I have enough good quality shoes and much more knowledge).  Maybe this is not a question for you but I believe that the law of disminishing returns has an end. I am not trying to critize no one here, indeed, I just would like to know a  reasonable price for those shoes (no retail margins/profit). The fact that you buy them at those prices should not mean you consider their prices to much for their quality.   As an example I would tell you that I would not pay today 748 € for a pair of C&J handgrade Chadwick 2 I own, and I love them.

See that's the bottom line. Whether it's worth it or not, that in itself is something each potential customer will have to decide for themselves. For me, for now, given what I've seen and experienced, considering what I've determined I prefer, and given the current circumstances, it's still worth it to me.

But I can certainly understand that we may not see it the same way on this particular issue.

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's for some of the same reasons why someone chooses to buy a Rolex instead of a Timex, or better yet a Patek instead of a Rolex in this case. They all do the same thing. It's just that one does it in a more.elegant fashion.
Sorry, but I do not buy this while comparing to shoes. And I do not share Berners15 opinion either (aesthetics, practicality, feelings, tastes..). I try to analize construcction, tecniques, quality materials, components and finishings ( once I like the model and fits me well). Then I compare to some other makers.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See that's the bottom line. Whether it's worth it or not, that in itself is something each potential customer will have to decide for themselves. For me, for now, given what I've seen and experienced, considering what I've determined I prefer, and given the current circumstances, it's still worth it to me.

But I can certainly understand that we may not see it the same way on this particular issue.
Yes we make decisions differently. Maybe I ask you the same question once they reach 1.500€ or 2.000€?.

Be sure I´ll pull the trigger one of this days, but you did not help me much.
smile.gif

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes we make decisions differently. Maybe I ask you the same question once they reach 1.500€ or 2.000€?. 

Be sure I´ll pull the trigger one of this days, but you did not help me much.:)

We all continue to reevaluate our decisions as things evolve and change. I've already slowed down with regard to the number of shoes I purchase. My closet hasn't gotten any bigger and my wardrobe is already fairly large. My need is no longer as great but when I chose to do so its at this level at least for now.

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All hello. I catch myself on thought more and more that 90% of footwear which was pleasant to me on the Internet of different masters are G & G. My son and his friends admirers of G & G. Also ask my son to sew footwear similar to one of models G & G. In 90 years in Russia said that there are only 2 brands of Avtomobiley:-Mercedes and the others. And so now a tendency such is; if there were many good masters and good footwear, now G & G and the others earlier.
I take off a hat before G & G for their beautiful footwear!
Mr. Mahmutov, we miss you in the Bespoke and Riding Boots thread?.

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you're doing smart casual and casual, get a derby/blucher, not an oxford.

Really not a great fan of Derby's, to me they always look a little clumsy compared to an Oxford. To each their own. I have worn assymetric, slightly chisel toed Oxford's for 33 years now, it is unlikely I will change now. I rather like Chelsea boots too and own several pairs. I will concede I am fond of Derby's when they a bit more 'countryfied' ie with a Dainite or commando sole and grained leather - commando soles are a bit heavy though. Dainite coincidentally is brilliant if you wish to break your neck on a slippery floor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads