• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

NewStart

Reaction score

I don't have either, however the last pair I ordered was a pair of St James. So if given the choice of your three and keep in mind I do like the Asquith, I would chose the St James first.

Edward Green tends to be my favorite shoemaker, for a number of reasons however I have a number of their models now and I am ready to get a few of G&Gs at this point. So the thing for me anyway is that in my mind when I think of getting a G&G shoe the St James is the first one that comes to mind. It not only seems to be the most Iconic of the G&G shoes it's also one of if not the best looking one. The Asquith is a good looking shoe, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as the St James does. Now hopefully the Last will fit.

I remember I first knew about GG when they had a pop up sale in London, just after i started my shoes game. Came there knowing nothing about what models they have, searched all the boxes and then went home with a nice pair that at the time was most attractive to me.

I then figured out that they are the Legendary St James ii in vintage cherry - prob my best buy ever

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember I first knew about GG when they had a pop up sale in London, just after i started my shoes game. Came there knowing nothing about what models they have, searched all the boxes and then went home with a nice pair that at the time was most attractive to me.

I then figured out that they are the Legendary St James ii in vintage cherry - prob my best buy ever
Yes, I imagine the St James tends to be the first pair of G&Gs for a number of people.

It's taking me a bit longer, but I'm kind of slow that way. LOL

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, I am much more concern about quality/price ratio now than before ( I have enough good quality shoes and much more knowledge). Maybe this is not a question for you but I believe that the law of disminishing returns has an end. I am not trying to critize no one here, indeed, I just would like to know a reasonable price for those shoes (no retail margins/profit). The fact that you buy them at those prices should not mean you consider their prices to much for their quality. As an example I would tell you that I would not pay today 748 € for a pair of C&J handgrade Chadwick 2 I own, and I love them.

Well that is your choice. Of course it's a case of diminishing returns. In this field the next real step up is hand welting. Some on here believe that a GYW shoe is the work of Satan and is likely to fail. You said you would not pay the uplift on C&J handgrade from their normal line. I have a wardrobe full of C&J's and I can assure you that the extra is well worth paying, but are they made any differently? Nope.
As stated by ValeriyMahmutov, a high percentage of shoes he likes are G&G. As we see them on the internet we are only really judging them by their aesthetics. Show me any other manufacturer that makes shoes that are both as elegant and sophisticated in appearance as G&G at a lower price point and I will eat my hat.
In short, if you only judge a pair of shoes by how many miles you can walk in them before they fall apart, why not buy a good pair of hiking boots. If you want some of the nicest looking shoes in the world, buy a pair of G&G.

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry, but I do not buy this while comparing to shoes. And I do not share Berners15 opinion either (aesthetics, practicality, feelings, tastes..). I try to analize construcction, tecniques, quality materials, components and finishings ( once I like the model and fits me well). Then I compare to some other makers.

We have compared G&G to other makers - that's why we love G&G so much
cheers.gif

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that is your choice. Of course it's a case of diminishing returns. In this field the next real step up is hand welting. Some on here believe that a GYW shoe is the work of Satan and is likely to fail. You said you would not pay the uplift on C&J handgrade from their normal line. I have a wardrobe full of C&J's and I can assure you that the extra is well worth paying, but are they made any differently? Nope.
As stated by ValeriyMahmutov, a high percentage of shoes he likes are G&G. As we see them on the internet we are only really judging them by their aesthetics. Show me any other manufacturer that makes shoes that are both as elegant and sophisticated in appearance as G&G at a lower price point and I will eat my hat.
In short, if you only judge a pair of shoes by how many miles you can walk in them before they fall apart, why not buy a good pair of hiking boots. If you want some of the nicest looking shoes in the world, buy a pair of G&G.

So exactly how is the next step up Hand Welting? Please tell me how exactly I am choosing the wrong thing because a number of manufactures that hand welt their shoes cost less than Edward Green or G&G. I really must be doing the wrong thing. Is it because I failed to eat my Wheaties this morning. Do they look significantly better than GYW shoes? Please don't tell me it's because they last longer than GYW shoes. From everything I've seen this simply isn't the case with an exception of a very small percentage. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

So exactly how are hand welted shoes the next real step up?

Last edited:

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So exactly how is the next step up Hand Welting? Please tell me how exactly I am choosing the wrong thing because a number of manufactures that hand welt their shoes cost less than Edward Green or G&G. I really must be doing the wrong thing. Is it because I failed to eat my Wheaties this morning. Do they look significantly better than GYW shoes? Please don't tell me it's because they last longer than GYW shoes. From everything I've seen this simply isn't the case with an exception of a very small percentage. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

So exactly how are hand welted shoes the next real step up?
Calm please - I am quite happy with GYW shoes, there are people on this forum that are not.
My point was that as far as I am concerned, G&G make the nicest RTW GYW shoes.
The pro's and cons of hand welting and gemming etc are far beyond my knowledge, but when I stuck up for GYW shoes on a different thread I was pilloried by certain members ie DWFII etc etc

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calm please - I am quite happy with GYW shoes, there are people on this forum that are not.
The pro's and cons of hand welting and gemming etc are far beyond my knowledge, but when I stuck up for GYW shoes on a different thread I was pilloried by certain members ie DWFII etc etc

Yeah, well that may have happened and it probably will again so don't worry about it. However that doesn't mean you have to spread the myth of what an upgrade hand welted shoes are over GYW shoes. From everything I have seen to this point its been a bit overblown.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I got it man, by the way, I have some HW shoes and some C&J Handgrade.

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, I got it man, by the way, I have some HW shoes and some C&J Handgrade.
Then at some point you must have thought the extra was worth it. G&G shoes appeal to some more than others. I wish they did cost less but on balance I don't they're over priced even though they are expensive.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You shouldn't have been pilloried. That's just stupid, childish behaviour by those responsible. Hand welting is better, naturally, but it's anyone's right to like and support good quality GYW shoes and nobody, NOBODY, has the right to attack such people! I would suggest you place on ignore anyone who treats you like that here on this forum.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You shouldn't have been pilloried. That's just stupid, childish behaviour by those responsible. Hand welting is better, naturally, but it's anyone's right to like and support good quality GYW shoes and nobody, NOBODY, has the right to attack such people! I would suggest you place on ignore anyone who treats you like that here on this forum.

Did you read any of the posts Berners is referring to? I thought not. I know he didn't either. Nobody was pilloried. If disagreement or stating the facts is pillorying, y'all better hunt your holes.

Berners, be careful of the spirits you invoke.

Triple-d, All other things being equal, is moving from particle board to plywood an "upgrade?" Is moving from plywood to solid walnut an "upgrade?"

By every objective standard, leather has more structural strength and integrity than canvas. By every objective measure thread is stronger, tighter, more reliable and longer lasting than cement. By every objective criteria, high quality leather insoles trump leatherboard insoles or even thin poor quality leather insoles, all day long--for long life, for comfort, for foot health.

Just the facts, m'am

And nobody's ear got nailed to the stocks.

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited:

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway guys, I am in a quandary. The trip to London looms ever closer, god I hate going to London. I shall throw it open to the forum to decide as I am torn between three styles at the moment. I know it cuts across the grain with some on here but this pair will have dual purpose and duties. They will be used for smart casual and casual most of the time. I am locked into the MH71 last and the Edward Green 888 last - which to go for G&G Kensington
IMG_6037_1024x1024.jpg
G&G St James II
Gaziano-Girling-StJames-II-Vintage-Cherry-04_1024x1024.jpg
or Edward Green Asquith
DSC_0008.jpg
Obviously fit will have to be a consideration, likewise the colour - probably the colour of the photo of the St James II, I think I will obviously be a bit limited on that with the EG's. So which ones would you prefer to put in your cupboard? Thanks gents in advance.
I know that everything was quite shifted when the cost vs value plus GYW vs HW parts came up so back to your actual question. I like both brands and both are great. If you fit well in both lasts, I personally would get the st James but then that also was my first pair of GG and still is my all time favorite RTW/MTO shoe. You can make it casual or dressy as you wish, especially if you are getting the vintage cherry. Now of the EG fits you much better then get that because it still is a great and beautiful shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads