• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have either, however the last pair I ordered was a pair of St James. So if given the choice of your three and keep in mind I do like the Asquith, I would chose the St James first.

Edward Green tends to be my favorite shoemaker, for a number of reasons however I have a number of their models now and I am ready to get a few of G&Gs at this point. So the thing for me anyway is that in my mind when I think of getting a G&G shoe the St James is the first one that comes to mind. It not only seems to be the most Iconic of the G&G shoes it's also one of if not the best looking one. The Asquith is a good looking shoe, but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as the St James does. Now hopefully the Last will fit.

Last edited:

andrel42

Reaction score
Ho ho ! I would definitely go for the St James II (very versatile with a suit or with jeans) and I am super pleased with mine! Will you be visiting the Saville Row shop?

PS. Thank you for your kind words in my recent post; I am just a shoe-aholic .. :)

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ho ho ! I would definitely go for the St James II (very versatile with a suit or with jeans) and I am super pleased with mine! Will you be visiting the Saville Row shop?

PS. Thank you for your kind words in my recent post; I am just a shoe-aholic .. :)

You're very welcome.
Yes I shall be doing the rounds, Savile Row, Jermyn Street, Burlington and Royal Arcades, looking at everything I can't afford. I shall wear my chukas rather than my normal Adidas trainers, I think even G&G may consider that one a step too far. To be fair though travelling on the tube is footwear carnage, so I might just wear the trainers after all just to see what they say.
I know the odd Edward Green asststant has worn a look of affront on their face when I've arrived there in the past, to some degree that is why I didn't bother to even try on Asquith's last time I was there - please take note EG, some of your sales staff are borderline rude.
The picture of the St James II is very flattering and pinched off
Skoaktiebolaget​
, hope you don't mind, your photography of shoes is much better than most - even when I looked back at my post I fell in love with the St James all over again.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you dddrees, kind of my thoughts too.

NP, besides like @Andre142 said the St James will work with jeans better, and I think it's a better looking shoe than the Asquith personally. The big concern I have is whether the Last will work for me or not.

jamestct

Reaction score
A few points that immediately come to mind:

The G&G 'equivalent' of the EG Asquith is the Burlington, not the Kensington which has a heel counter. The Burlington and Asquith do not have a heel counter. Worth mentioning as a heel counter does change the aesthetic balance of the shoe quite a lot.

Generally, the lighter the shoe the less versatile it will be. The Vintage Cherry looks oh-so-good on the St James but it will be (marginally) less versatile than Dark/Vintage Oak.

G&G and EG are always naturally pitched against each other in comparisons, much as you are doing. It is the obvious thing to do given the respective company histories and the similarities of their model line up. One thing that has changed in the last 5 or so years is their price point; whilst EG has seen relatively small price increases, G&G has seen much higher rises. You will be paying several hundred pounds more for your stock G&G then your stock EG in their London retail stores, particularly after you have factored shoe trees in to the equation.

Fit is the most important consideration - go try them both and see where you get. Good luck!

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NP, besides like @Andre142 said the St James will work with jeans better, and I think it's a better looking shoe than the Asquith personally. The big concern I have is whether the Last will work for me or not.

Better than asquith? Sir that is a bold statement indeed.....wr finally disagree on something.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Better than asquith? Sir that is a bold statement indeed.....wr finally disagree on something.

Oops. LOL

It's just my opinion.

Either way, one or the other it's a win win. Both shoes are pretty darn nice.

However the St James is something I've been thinking about getting for awhile now.

Besides its the most appealing Adelaide out there in my opinion.

The fact that I already had the AS Moore and I'm a bit concerned about fit and how they'll look on a larger foot are the main reasons I hadn't purchased one already. The kudu version gave me the push I needed.

Last edited:

Chowkin

Reaction score
You will be paying several hundred pounds more for your stock G&G then your stock EG in their London retail stores,

Basic G&Gs are at £850 and IIRC, Edward Greens start at £670, so less than £200 difference.

I'll also opt for St James II in vintage cherry. Here's the photo which caused me to fall in love with them (note they are bespoke shoes on which St James are based):

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think about retail prices for G&G and EG nowadays?. Are they justify for you?. Should those makers sell their shoes just throught the internet.. what should be a reasonable price?. From 900€ down to 550€?. From 1.200€ down to 650 €?. Many of you would think that this is a silly question, but I find those brands retail prices completely outrageous nowadays and I try to figure out what would be a good value for me if I decide to buy them at disccount prices (if possible).

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It gets worse as I wouldn't want them in vintage cherry, well I would but I'd prefer the colour in the picture I posted. That means MTO, but it will be the pair they bury me in I think, unless I win the lottery.
I think people may have noted my passion for Oxfords with jeans and I have to say I rather think I am in the camp of those that think St James may go better, however bespoken pa I also think the Asquiths would look superb
smile.gif

I very much think I need both, alas decisions decisions, once again thank you gentlemen,

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think about retail prices for G&G and EG nowadays?. Are they justify for you?.  Should those makers sell their shoes just throught the internet.. what should be a reasonable price?. From 900€ down to 550€?. From 1.200€ down to 650 €?. Many of you would think that this is a silly question, but I find those brands retail prices completely outrageous nowadays and I try to figure out what would be a good value for me if I decide to buy them at disccount prices (if possible).

For me it would be much better if they cost $1. But I realize and I believe they're worth a premium given what you get. What they should be and what they actually cost I have no control overt that. All I know is it's not to the point yet that I'm not willing to pay for them. I mean I could certainly purchase other really good brands for a lot less.

However I am in the position and it's worth it to me to purchase brands at the higher end of the RTW shoe market because I enjoy the things these shoes provide. Some of these things cost money that they have little or no control over to include labor, quality leather, and soles.

To sell items like this just over the Internet would be a big mistake. In this instance no one would have the opportunity to do in person trying them on and sizing. The fact that they are available over the Internet provides the other poor sods like myself with the ability to get them, but this certainly isn't the ideal way by no means. Especially when it comes to shoes that cost this much.

Last edited:

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What do you think about retail prices for G&G and EG nowadays?. Are they justify for you?. Should those makers sell their shoes just throught the internet.. what should be a reasonable price?. From 900€ down to 550€?. From 1.200€ down to 650 €?. Many of you would think that this is a silly question, but I find those brands retail prices completely outrageous nowadays and I try to figure out what would be a good value for me if I decide to buy them at disccount prices (if possible).

Justifying the price of shoes or anything is rather difficult. It is very easy to say how much something costs, what it's worth becomes somewhat subjective. I would think that most of us that contemplate shoes in this price range, we are probably looking at the aesthetics rather than the practicality. It's how they make you feel when you wear them. Tastes vary between us all. I have seen bespoke shoes costing many thousands of pounds on this forum (different thread) that I wouldn't give houseroom to regardless of how they're welted or how much they cost.
There is something about a high end shoe that transends functionality and IMHO becomes art if the proportions are perfect.
G&G seem to appeal to me time after time, more so than most. That you pay a premium for that elegance seems correct and proper. Whether that premium is too much for the humble GYW shoe is something only you can decide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads