• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge: Windowpane or Glen PlaidFeb 27th, 2015

Who wore glen plaid or windowpane best?

• Shen

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Rosace

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • GmmcL

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • LilacCords

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Seamaster Lux

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Steffenbp11

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Mr.Claymore

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Heldentneor

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Prince of Paisley

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • bienluienpris

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Sansimion

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Braddock

• Braddock

• Mother ******* Braddock

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • PCK1

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • An Acute Styles

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score

So, I've been planning on getting a new windowpane SC made. Would you guys go for an off white SC with gold WP, or a blue with black WP?

How about brown and donkey?

Sorry, lame joke (check out #thedress on tumblr/twitter/Instagram/FB)

It's amazing how much attention that picture has received and how vehemently people are arguing about it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
V nice Seamaster, especially the shirt.

Srs bsns, Mr. C!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've been planning on getting a new windowpane SC made. Would you guys go for an off white SC with gold WP, or a blue with black WP?

It's amazing how much attention that picture has received and how vehemently people are arguing about it.

What's interesting about that debate is how it brings up the subject of visual processing, and cortical interpretation, of colour.

Colour is not an inherent property of an object. It is only a reaction within our central nervous system to the light being reflected from that object. The signal our brain receives is entirely dependent upon the fixed set of light-sensitive rods and cones in our retina. Each of the three types of cone cell is optimally sensitive to light at a certain wavelength - in human beings, these three wavelengths correspond to what we call the three "primary" colours: red, yellow and blue.

Everything else to do with colour interpretation occurs at the other end of the optic nerve, within the occipital lobes (and indeed even the frontal lobes) of the brain cortex.

So, what is the "object" in question? In the case of this photo, I would say that the debate has become heated because some people regard the photo as being the object (in which case the colours are clearly a kind of mauve/lavender and a dark beige/tan) whereas others regard the dress as being the object (in which case our tertiary visual processing, noting that the dress is in shadow while the background is over-exposed, comes to a best-guess conclusion that the colours of the dress are white and gold).

How anyone could see "black" in this dress is beyond me - unless they have some kind of dichromatism or colour-blindness.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what is the "object" in question? In the case of this photo, I would say that the debate has become heated because some people regard the photo as being the object (in which case the colours are clearly a kind of mauve/lavender and a dark beige/tan) whereas others regard the dress as being the object (in which case our tertiary visual processing, noting that the dress is in shadow while the background is over-exposed, comes to a best-guess conclusion that the colours of the dress are white and gold).

How anyone could see "black" in this dress is beyond me - unless they have some kind of dichromatism or colour-blindness.

I've seen this same photo (not different photos of the same dress - the same photo on the same website) on three different screens, in different lighting conditions, and I've seen three different combinations, ranging from white and gold to blue and black. So I can't tell whether it's the contextual lighting or the screen / colour processing settings of the computers, but one thing I am certain of is that it's not (solely) an issue of human optical or neurological hardware. At the very least it is a question of the interaction between one or other or both of those latter things and the former things, if not entirely down to one or other or both the former.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Brilliant!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads