• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 20140509 - COTTON

Who did it best?

• Anden

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • Don Cologne

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • SpooPoker

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Christopher Essex

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • alessandromo

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Amar ezzahi

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • jungleroller

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • sugarbutch

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Betelgeuse

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • Tirailleur1

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • acecow

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

No probs.

I wear lots of blended fabrics. The only blend that is not allowed by Jewish law is wool and linen together. Any other blend is fine.

Ahh, I thought it was any type of blend. Not to get too off-topic, but can you wear any wool blend and any linen blend, just not together?

As far as the challenge goes, I really like your submission @Anden. A dark cotton jacket is sometimes a bit tricky to do, but that's done brilliantly.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Should be a fun challenge. Unfortunately, the only jacket I have is a cotton, angora, wool blend. It looks like wool tho. Which, point in fact, is the reason I bought it. I'm not a huge fan of cotton jackets. The wrinkles drive me crazy.

:(

It's the wrinkles that makes me love cotton jackets. I really do like the casualness in a slightly wrinkled cotton jacket, I don't mind if it's got a washed look either, with darkening around seams et c. Not conservative business dress stuff obviously, but it works great in most of the social situations I find myself in.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ahh, I thought it was any type of blend. Not to get too off-topic, but can you wear any wool blend and any linen blend, just not together?

correct, wool and silk, wool and cotton, wool and cashmere.... linen and cotton, linen and silk... all fine. the only issue is a garment that has both wool and linen in it.

It's the wrinkles that make me love cotton jackets. I really do like the casualness in a slightly wrinkled cotton jacket, I don't mind if it's got a washed look either, with darkening around seams et c. Not conservative business dress stuff obviously, but it works great in most of the social situations I find myself in.

i like the look as well, but when im wearing it it drives me nuts. my own OCD has me at a loss. :(

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're not really saying that this looks good, are we?
Does anyone remember the furor around Southern Style's long blade back when he was a frat boy? Just looks far too affected for me. And while I'm on the topic and among friends, I noticed that the Bentley driving guy from London (sorry, forget his name) got a lot of thumbs for his beige linen suit yesterday which was patently far too small for him. Seems like the GQ menswear thing is overtaking.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently picked up two cotton SCs, but both need the sleeves altered. I haz a sad.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

We're not really saying that this looks good, are we? Does anyone remember the furor around Southern Style's long blade back when he was a frat boy? Just looks far too affected for me. And while I'm on the topic and among friends, I noticed that the Bentley driving guy from London (sorry, forget his name) got a lot of thumbs for his beige linen suit yesterday which was patently far too small for him. Seems like the GQ menswear thing is overtaking.
Other than the extended blade of the tie, what's the problem?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I teased Changwoo (the fellow in the picture) about the extended tie blade. He was not amused. His younger brother, however, thought it was pretty funny.

Side note: out. My linen-cotton is 70-30.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that IS a a pretty obvious issue. It isn't like it's just a tad long.
Not long ago the clip-on braces and affected tie blade would have drawn quite the reaction in WAYWRN, but I suspect now this would be quickly in the curated thread. This is just my opinion, but the WAYWRN thread has had good influences in the past (Timo is a great example, given his penchant for very tight pants before and his excellence now), but I see more and more plaudits for the too short, too tight, too artificially sprezzed look.
I will stop there before I start saying that today's music is just noise and it was so much better "in my day". I'm getting old :(

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the tie and the braces, I do like everything else, btw. But as the saying goes "otherwise how was the play, Mrs Lincoln"?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well that IS a a pretty obvious issue. It isn't like it's just a tad long.
Not long ago the clip-on braces and affected tie blade would have drawn quite the reaction in WAYWRN, but I suspect now this would be quickly in the curated thread. This is just my opinion, but the WAYWRN thread has had good influences in the past (Timo is a great example, given his penchant for very tight pants before and his excellence now), but I see more and more plaudits for the too short, too tight, too artificially sprezzed look. 
I will stop there before I start saying that today's music is just noise and it was so much better "in my day". I'm getting old :(

This is why comments are better than thumbs. Who knows why someone thumbs a pic? The blade is silly. Clip-on suspenders are just a practical thing, though. I have some, and short of buying proper suspenders for every pair of pants I own, it's the easiest way to avoid wearing a belt. Plus, I've lost my enthusiasm for sewing in buttons, and I never get downtown to my tailor anymore.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seems like the GQ menswear thing is overtaking. 

i wouldnt go that far.

i dont like the fit all all. the jacket is nice, but looks huge (maybe the angle). dont like the pants or PS. not a fran at all of that fit. steez or no steez.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It fits. He's a big fan of drape and it looks good on him. He did mention he'd been getting his jackets larger of late as they're just more comfortable for him to be all steezy in. Well, he didn't mention the steezy part, but that's what I assumed.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt go that far.
i dont like the fit all all. the jacket is nice, but looks huge (maybe the angle). dont like the pants or PS. not a fran at all of that fit. steez or no steez.
Perhaps I'm overstating it, but I do see fits getting praise that just a year ago would have been called out. That isn't to say that the inverse is true, that good (to my eye) fits are getting overlooked; they aren't. But no one commented on the fit of this suit:

No one commented on a recent contrast stitched buttonhole on Amar and only a single comment on a recent fit featuring rolled back jacket cuff to accentuate the working buttons.
Perhaps the thread has just become a kinder, gentler place, which is no bad thing, I guess. It has a reputation for being quite the opposite. Perhaps that Style Blogger dude should come back now, I think I recall he posted here sometime ago but met a wave of hate, or did I just dream that?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It fits. He's a big fan of drape and it looks good on him. He did mention he'd been getting his jackets larger of late as they're just more comfortable for him to be all steezy in. Well, he didn't mention the steezy part, but that's what I assumed.
jacket fit looks better there. i still dont like the pants or PS.
Perhaps I'm overstating it, but I do see fits getting praise that just a year ago would have been called out. That isn't to say that the inverse is true, that good (to my eye) fits are getting overlooked; they aren't. But no one commented on the fit of this suit:
No one commented on a recent contrast stitched buttonhole on Amar and only a single comment on a recent fit featuring rolled back jacket cuff to accentuate the working buttons. Perhaps the thread has just become a kinder, gentler place, which is no bad thing, I guess. It has a reputation for being quite the opposite. Perhaps that Style Blogger dude should come back now, I think I recall he posted here sometime ago but met a wave of hate, or did I just dream that?
if it makes you feel better, i dont like that at all and i hate contrast stitched button holes. i didnt comment because i saw no reason to based on past reactions to feedback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads