• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 08/02/13 - Wear a hat without looking like a fool.

Who pulled it off better?

• Holdfast

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Victor Elfo

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • RDiaz

Votes: 58 63.7%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • TTO

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • adagio

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • HansderHund

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Caustic Man

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • emptym

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • OTM

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • PTWilliams

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Hampton

• in stitches

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Greggy500

• Thin White Duke

• TactileOne

• Mr. Claymore

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Tirailleur1

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • jcmeyer

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Kai

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OTM

Reaction score

PTWilliams

Reaction score

As far as not looking like a fool, which was, after all, the challenge.
These two girls came up to me and wanted to have my picture taken with them at the gay pride parade in SF.
I was the best dressed there, maybe not the best undressed there, but certainly the best dressed.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

As far as not looking like a fool, which was, after all, the challenge.
These two girls came up to me and wanted to have my picture taken with them at the gay pride parade in SF.
I was the best dressed there, maybe not the best undressed there, but certainly the best dressed.

they totally wanted to **** you.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forgive for asking questions, I am trying to learn about style. The first thing I see is the bowtie and handkerchief are different colors. Would it look better if they were closer in color?

Your shirt also appears to be, and I don't know how to describe this, thinner material and looks like it belongs with a blazer or darker suit. Something about your jacket looks like it should go with a thicker shirt. 

Your attire looks like it's a wealthy plantation owner from the deep south in the early 1920's, or a novelist's photo on the inside jacket of a book.

No need to ask forgiveness for asking questions.

The general rule, as least as I undestand it, is that one's tie and one's pocket square should coordinate in color, but not match. My choice today was perhaps quirky (it's been known to happen), but I wanted to wear something that wasn't a white cotton handkerchief.

As for choice of shirt, wearing a double-cuffed shirt with a seersucker suit is not the norm as well, but I like the combo of today's tie, cufflinks, and pocket square (green and yellow). A more normal selection of shirt would be an oxford cloth button down (OCBD).

I last wore today's attire (with a blue double-cuffed shirt instead of white) for a fundraiser at the Frick Collection - their Garden Party. I decided to repeat history.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, lots of great entries. Here's a humble, casual one w/ a bucket hat and seersucker shirt. Shoes are darker there than irl for some reason:

did you plug one of your glasses' temples through a button hole? nifty...

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, here goes.

in honor of the challenge i went ahead and made a fit gif. its my first attempt at that, and i am reasonably pleased with the result.

boring stills also included.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks very good. I'm trying to figure out why it works. Is it the brown stripe in the hat matches the brown shoes? Or is it because the hat is light in color, the suit is light in color, the shirt is light in color. The hat adds to the look instead of distracting. It looks great!

I guess it works because it's a pretty safe combo. It's not been deeply thought, really. Cream linen suit is a classic, paired with a fine striped shirt that looks pale blue from a distance, then a navy knit - can't go wrong. Pretty much any handkerchief would have worked provided there was enough contrast with the jacket.

Stitchy, that looks nice - I wish more RTW makers would cut their armhoals like that.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

did you plug one of your glasses' temples through a button hole? nifty...

Agreed. I'd never thought of that until this morning when I saw his post in the Luxire thread where se said he gets them for that purpose. I have dropped my glasses a number of times and that seems to be the cure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads